PDA

View Full Version : Imac

twoslik213
11/23/2003, 11:31 AM
I have heard a little about a IMAC show. Is this a private show or is it open to the public?

grostanzo
11/23/2003, 11:33 AM
Opened to the Public. Every have a chance to see one go. At least here in Maryland at the science center, they are opened to the public.

degall
11/23/2003, 12:21 PM
Yes, twoslik213 it is open to the public. It will be in Chicago June 4, 5 and 6, 2004.
Check out the new website, www.theimac.org and you’ll see that we already have 15 speakers lined up:
Eric Borneman,
Dr. Ron Shimek,
Carol Cozzi-Schmarr,
Mark Schick,
Dr. Charlie Mazel,
Jeff Mitchell,
Dr. Tim Hovanec,
Marc Lamont,
Sanjay Joshi,
Scott Michael,
Steve Robinson,
Anthony Calfo,
Bob Fenner,
Tullio Dell Aquilla
and Allen LaPointe, with more to come.

It is particularly useful to newbies since the speakers will be covering all aspects of the hobby.

Dennis

:rollface:

twoslik213
11/23/2003, 04:35 PM
Dennis:
I thought the IMAC show was a retail show, like the houseware show at McKormick Place. Are these speeakers retail shop owners?

degall
11/23/2003, 08:25 PM
IMAC is a little like the housewares show in that it has many booths set up by major manufacturers of aquarium equipment. But it also has presentations by many experts in the field (whose articles in magazines and whose books you have probably read).

So here's your chance to hear them in person and meet with them informally to ask your questions. It's also a good opportunity to meet and talk with other hobbyists you have only communicated with on these Message Boards.

Take Care,

Dennis :bum:

headshrink
11/23/2003, 08:33 PM
hehe... I thought you were talking about IMAX ;)

Lessa
11/23/2003, 09:34 PM
and I thought you were all talking about an old macintosh computer called the iMac

MalHavoc
11/23/2003, 10:12 PM
IMAC is worth the trip, especially if you sign up to tour the "behind the scenes" of the Shedd aquarium.

twoslik213, many of the people on the speaker's list are experts in the marine industry. Eric Borneman is a recognized expert in coral biology (and has a forum here on RC), Sanjay Joshi is a person who many turn to when it comes to discussing lighting, Scott Michael is the author of Marine Fishes, Anthony Calfo is the author of "Coral Propagation" and "Reef Invertebrates", and Bob Fenner is the author of The Consciencious Marine Aquarist, and a co-author of "Reef Invertibrates". Naturally, Dr. Ron is the uber smart guy from the "Ask Dr. Ron" forum here on RC.

Many people go for the festive atmosphere and the chance to meet other people, but it's SO worth taking in the talks these folks give. It's unlikely that you'll get to see them all in one place again in the course of a year, with the possible exception of MACNA.

cwbroden
11/23/2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for some info on that MalHavoc. I put an IMAC question out a few days ago with no replies.

So, it's about comparable to a MANCA show than. I'm thinking of heading to the 2004 IMAC and the 2004 MACNA.

degall
11/24/2003, 08:46 AM
Yes I would suggest you take in both IMAC and MACNA, if you can. In this hobby you just can't get too much information.

BTW, the IMAC registration fee goes up in about a month, so I'd suggest you get over to www.theimac.org and check it out soon. The cost for the registration, hotel and air fare is about what many of us spend on the hobby over about 6 months.

And Christmas is coming. Maybe you should ask your SO for IMAC for a Christmas present.

Cheers,
Dennis :D

twoslik213
11/30/2003, 10:29 AM
Does anyone know if there are things for sale at this show? seems like it would be a cool place to pick up some unusual frags or fish!

Bob

MalHavoc
11/30/2003, 10:35 AM
Lots of people return from the various shows with frags and what not. There are always tons of threads on here after IMAC with titles like "look at the cool clam I got!" etc.

degall
11/30/2003, 12:08 PM
Bob, we already have at least 3 exhibitors that will have frags for sale, and we will probably have more than half a dozen by showtime. You are likely to find specimens you will not find in your LFS.

And, for the first time, we will have a Frag Swap on Sunday.

:eek1:

We'll hope to see you there.

Dennis

twoslik213
12/11/2003, 10:35 PM
I asked Santa for an IMAC ticket in my stocking! We will see come Christmas Day. I sort of visualize the show like an auto show. Instead of cars on display there will be reef setups. Is this true?

cwbroden
12/12/2003, 12:25 AM
I'm still debating it. Maybe i'll see how the online conferance they are having on Friday sounds. Might change my mind. Plus I've never been to Chicago, so it might be worth spending an extra few days and relax on a short vacation.

twoslik213
12/19/2003, 03:35 PM
I think I read it on the IMAC webpage about a raffle. Can someone explain what the raffle is all about? also, how much are raffle tickets??

Bob

hwynboy
12/19/2003, 05:10 PM
I will be there and have spoken to Barry at Clamsdirect.com he will be there as well with some clams so a lot of goodies will bew there to be had. Im bringing a huge cooler to bring stuff home in. I just can't wait.

degall
12/19/2003, 05:35 PM
Yes Bob, the Raffle is always a high point of the conference. Most of the exhibitors don't want to take their display products back home so they donate them for the raffle. You can usually pick up a protein skimmer, a pump, books, lights or other hardware.

Raffle tickets are $1 each or 12 for $10. And you can put your tickets in just the containers matching the items you are interested in, so you are not likely to win something you can't use.

BTW, the $125 registration rate goes up in less than 2 weeks so you should get over to www.theimac.org and sign up soon.

Dennis

twoslik213
12/21/2003, 09:15 AM
Dennis:
This IMAC show sounds better than a weekend in Vegas!!!

Bob

degall
12/21/2003, 11:21 AM
That's right Bob, and you won't lose your shirt at IMAC and you will probably return home with some goodies and a lot more knowledge about the hobby. ;-)

Dennis

twoslik213
12/27/2003, 03:14 PM
Dennis:
Are there going to be lectures from the guests or will they be showing displays?

degall
12/27/2003, 04:20 PM
The speakers will be giving lectures. Some of them will also have displays. Like Dr. Tim Hovanec of Marineland, Marc Lemont of Seahorse.org and Tullio Dell Aquilla of Aquatic Research and Development.

Julian Sprung was to have spoken and Two Little Fishes inquired about a booth but Julian's wife is pregnant and due around conference time so he won't be able to come.

Some of the speakers may have workshops but we don't know about that yet.

All Glass Aquarium has also just announced that they will donate a complete 90 gallon setup, complete with skimmer, live rock, sump and fish. We're expecting a lot more donations for the raffle too.

Sounds like fun, huh?

Dennis

ostrow
01/03/2004, 08:01 PM
Dennis:

Can you post some details on the frag swap? Do folks need to register for it, etc? Is it only Sunday?

degall
01/04/2004, 10:38 AM
Yes, it would be a GOOD idea to register for the Frag Swap, so we'll know how many tanks to to have available to float bags in. And we're going to print out a list of what people have to trade and what they're looking for. We'll give the list to all attendees so people can find each other (and maybe make some early trades).

The Frag Swap is scheduled for Sunday afternoon but I'm sure some people will jump the gun, especially for the most desirable items.

degall
01/04/2004, 12:07 PM
I forgot, there is another reason why people should register in advance if they will participate in the Frag Swap. If they do, their nametag will have the word "Frag" on it. I'm sure that will be a good conversation starter and people will make some good connections.

hwynboy
01/04/2004, 01:59 PM
Question about the frags...a lot of people will be coming from Atlanta, California, Florida, New York etc....when they get there on Friday how/what methods will IMAC use to keep the frags good until Sunday night? Just wondering about all this. thanks.

ostrow
01/04/2004, 02:05 PM
I believe by registering htey will know how many tanks to set up and people can float bags and do water changes on Saturday.

Make sense?

degall
01/04/2004, 02:13 PM
Right Ostrow, we should have the tanks up to float the bags in by sometime on Thursday.

cwbroden
01/04/2004, 06:52 PM
How are people transporting frags on the plane? Do you check them or can you carry them on? Doesn't the new security stop people from bringing liquids on planes?

twoslik213
01/04/2004, 09:23 PM
How does this years IMAC conventation shape up to other past year's convention? It seems every year it gets better and better??

twoslik213
01/04/2004, 09:25 PM
How do I get in that All Glass set-up?? I would be all over that one!!

Bob

hwynboy
01/04/2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ostrow
I believe by registering htey will know how many tanks to set up and people can float bags and do water changes on Saturday.

Make sense?

Not really...wont the frags die floating in a bagduring the convention? or do you mean they will float the bag then put it in a tank? Im a bit confused could you please elaborate. Thanks.

degall
01/05/2004, 09:58 AM
Yes hwynboy, the frags are put in water, in bags. Then the bags are floated in tanks (to maintain the proper temperature).

Corals sometimes spend several days in bags in transit from their collection site to the LFS.

I hope that is clearer.

Dennis

hwynboy
01/05/2004, 10:43 AM
ah so it's ok to have the frags in bags for a few days....got it. Thanks for clearing it up. Look forward to getting there with my cooler.

twoslik213
01/11/2004, 11:02 AM
Dennis:
Can u tell me about the registration fee and what comes with it? Is the fee good for the whole show or a one day pass? Also, are there any contests or drawings at CMAS sponsered stores that are giving away free tickets?

Bob

degall
01/11/2004, 03:26 PM
Bob;

The registration fee covers all 3 days, a Speakers Reception on Friday night, a Banquet on Saturday night, the trade show plus a lot of great times! Only the Shedd Aquarium Tour costs extra.

I don't know of any special deals being made by CMAS supporting dealers, but that might come up.

Remember, the special registration rate of $125 has been extended through January so hurry over to www.theimac.org and sign up.

Cheers,
Dennis

twoslik213
01/11/2004, 09:29 PM
Dennis:
Wow! At first I thought the fee was a little pricey, but with all the speakers that are coming, the frag swap, and the raffle, it really seems a bargain!

Bob

degall
01/12/2004, 01:08 PM
Yes Bob, we do have a problem providing everything we do and still keeping IMAC within financial reach of the average hobbyist.

It may still be a little high for some but we have managed to keep the costs lower than other marine aquarium conferences.

Cheers,
Dennis :bum:

ostrow
01/12/2004, 01:10 PM
What is the average length of the talks? Are some of them panel discussions?

degall
01/12/2004, 02:18 PM
Each talk is about an hour in length. Yes we are planning a panel discussion on Friday or Saturday, on the theme of the conference: "Aquaculture, Responsible Collecting and Captive Breeding: The Right Way to Go".

Sounds like fun, huh?

Dennis :rollface:

ostrow
01/12/2004, 02:37 PM
I'm thinking about academic conferences, and wondering, it might be fun also to have a room and a time for hobbyists to discuss various issues (for example, a room for an hour and a half for discussion of lighting, another for filtration, etc) moderated discussions somehow. Roundtable of sorts. Not sure how that would work in practice though...

degall
01/13/2004, 02:26 PM
Well, that would be a good idea, but I don't know if we can fit it into the schedule. We're getting pretty full up on speakers.

We'll think about it and see what we can come up with. Keep those good ideas coming though.

:D
Dennis

TippyToeX
01/13/2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by cwbroden
How are people transporting frags on the plane? Do you check them or can you carry them on? Doesn't the new security stop people from bringing liquids on planes?

cwbroden- You would take them as carry on. They are live animals and most airlines are understanding of it. They might be inspected at secuirity but should not be opened. I know many people who have done it time after time. Call the airline you will be traveling with and tell them what you want to do, be sure of their policies before hand.

twoslik213
02/01/2004, 10:26 AM
Dennis
I can't wait for the IMAC show to arrive but i do have a question. Seeing as there are going to be speakers talking words of wisdom about the reef and caring for the reef, are there going to be tapes available so we can listen to them again in case we miss any details? Can we bring recorders?

Bob

degall
02/07/2004, 11:29 AM
Yes Bob, there will be DVDs available of all the presentations.

Dennis

:D