PDA

View Full Version : Question about a fuge.

Basketcase
11/23/2003, 11:10 AM
As I have stated before I am new to the saltwater side of this hobby. I currently am setting up my 75 gal and have a 50 gal that was used a a fuge by the person I got everything from. I want to do this right the first time instead of having to redo over and over again. What should I put in the fuge live sand? live rock? critters? "plants"? I am going to set the fuge so that it drains into the 75. Also what kind of lighting for the fuge? Any and all help will be appreciated.

DgenR8
11/23/2003, 11:30 AM
Live sand and rock are nice in a 'fuge, but not necessary. Should you decide you want them, you can always add them later.
A refugium is a perfect place for growing macros, and by definition, it's a place to grow critters without fear of predadation.

Quicksilver
11/23/2003, 11:33 AM
Hey Basketcase! I'm in the beginning stages of building my first fug myself. I do not have alot of experience with salt either being a newbie I have been doing alot of research here and elsewhere. I think what I finally decided on was a DSB(deep sand bed), with frag live rock, and macro algae(Caulerpa, Spaghetti, etc.). Now exactly which macro algae is the best is still yet to be determined by me. I'm sure there are alot of people here that will tell you what worked for them.(P>S- keep in mind I am in the learning stages of this to) This is just some of what I hace been told.
William

DgenR8
11/23/2003, 11:37 AM
I left out lighting. Pretty much any old thing will do. Home Depot sells outdoor power compacts by a company called Lights Of America. I bought two of them for about $20.00 each, and added some more to my 'fuge, but I went overboard. 3 LOA's on a 50 would probably be more than enough, and Chaetomorphia (spaghetti macro) is widely loved by reefers ;)

the Undone guy
11/23/2003, 11:40 AM
when would you want a refug. and when would you want a sump? is a 'fuge' just a better sump?. i hate being ignorant=)

DgenR8
11/23/2003, 11:51 AM
Generally speaking, a sump is a place for added water volume, and equipment that you don't want in view in your tank, a refugium is a place to grow critters, and macros for nutrient export. You can combine the two if you like, but because more water means more stability, many people have both.

adam_not4u
11/23/2003, 01:08 PM
Combo... of the two is what I did!
check it out in the gallery(DIY)
But your going to have to do a lil' searching to compair it to others.

Basketcase
11/23/2003, 02:45 PM
I thought about combining both ny sump and fuge but I have heard that the pump will chop up the critters thereby negating part of the benefit of having a fuge.

the Undone guy
11/23/2003, 02:54 PM
Since i'm designing my own sump, maybe there is a way to hook on a 'fuge' to the sump? if i did that where would i want to connect it? to the mechanical/bio/or return chamber?

DgenR8
11/23/2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Basketcase
I thought about combining both ny sump and fuge but I have heard that the pump will chop up the critters thereby negating part of the benefit of having a fuge.

Not nearly as much of a concern as people make it out to be. Pods that go through your return pump will be pretty dizzy, and somewhat dazed, but very few will actually be chopped up in the process. Those that do get minced, will just be easier food to catch than the ones that don't.
a 'fuge above your tank, that feeds your tank by way of gravity would eliminate any pod death by pump, but it's not a good reason to avoid an under tank 'fuge if you can't go with one above.

doody
11/23/2003, 06:42 PM
I'm gonna put the fuge right next to my main tank. I seen people add some corals in the fuge and I want the same. May even add a fish or something in it. Would it be possible to raise sea horses in the fuge? BTW I'm a newbee too.

DgenR8
11/23/2003, 07:00 PM
Putting fish or seahorses in your fuge would be somewhat counter productive. A fuge is a place to grow critters without fear of predators. Many fish, seahorses included will prey on pods.

doody
11/23/2003, 07:07 PM
Good point. What about corals?

DgenR8
11/23/2003, 08:14 PM
If you're willing to light a 'fuge as you do your main tank, corals would be okay, but all that light would likely have your macros growing like, well, weeds, which would over crowd, and out compete your corals for light.

sdr209
11/24/2003, 01:56 AM
I was thinking of putting some seahorses in my refugium/sump also, but I see they may be a predator for pods, how beneficial are those pods, and will they actually eat them all to point of extinction? Can I feed the seahorses?

datman422
11/24/2003, 02:21 AM
Hey, I have a buddy that had suggested the same thing. Has this been done yet? Word word..

jobryan26
11/24/2003, 07:57 AM
Don't you light the refuge at opposite times as your main tank? Seems I read that somewhere.

doody
11/24/2003, 08:43 AM
I was wondering about light cycle in fuge also.

DgenR8
11/25/2003, 05:16 AM
I have a 30 watt NO on my 'fuge that's always on. the rest of my 'fuge lights come on pretty much opposite my tank's daylight cycle.
I've been told that lighting a 'fuge 24/7 keeps grape caulerpa from going sexual. I grow grape, and have not had any problems with it. I can't say for sure that the light on 24/7 is responsible for that though.

Basketcase
11/30/2003, 06:30 PM
Still wondering what kind of critters I should have in my fuge.

freshwater
11/30/2003, 11:52 PM
DgenR8,

What do u mean by grape from going sexual.

DouglasTiede
12/01/2003, 12:27 AM
tagging on

DgenR8
12/01/2003, 06:02 AM
C. Racemossa (Grape Caulerpa) is said to have a nasty habit of "going sexual" The grapes explode, and release sperm/eggs (or the plant equivelant) into the water. It could be better explained if you did a search on grape caulerpa. It's never happened to me, so I'm just repeating what I've read.