PDA

View Full Version : Is a 58 gallon sump big enough for a 180?

deputydog95
11/23/2003, 09:53 AM
I orginally deisgned the sump to go under stand. However, after running it, it was way to noisy so we put it in a wall. The sump cost me a bunch of money so I really don't want to scrap it. I have my skimmer, pumps, and reator all mounted externally, so I'm not really lacking space in there. The pump holds more than enough water to manage water flow. The local reef store guy was trying to talk me into a 140 gallon sump. I know it would probably be optimal, but is it necessary? He wants to add a 90 gallon sump in the corner of my room and connect to my current sump which is under the stand by means of two 3" bulkheads. I have the room, but this would probably end up running me around $400 and take up a lot of space.

jstoehr
11/23/2003, 10:25 AM
Any sump is better than no sump. Bigger is better but not necessary. Its up to you.

dragon_slayer
11/23/2003, 10:33 AM
as mentioned the bigger the sump the better. it gives you a lot more stability in your system. but the 58 is plenty big enough for your 180. it serves the purpos it was intended to do.

if you have the 'free space' and the $$$ then adding a bigger sump is always a good thing. turning it into a fuge is an even better thing. but its not necessary.

the lfs guy just wants to sell to you.

kc

lakersfan0014
11/23/2003, 10:53 AM
I'll just chime in here agreeing wiht the others. Bigger = better , but not nessecary.

DgenR8
11/23/2003, 11:10 AM
Your current sump is adequate. Would you benefit from a larger sump? Yes
Do you NEED to go larger? Absolutely not.
I would agree with dragon_slayer, converting your current sump to a refugium is a great idea, and adding a larger sump is something I would do, but I've been called a bit of an extremist ;)

Fish-o-holic
11/23/2003, 12:13 PM
I use an Oceanic 58g for my Oceanic 180g and it does the job just fine. :thumbsup: