PDA

View Full Version : Feel young? Think again

jimhobbs
06/25/2001, 04:57 PM
I thought you might enjoy this-Thanks Robin!:)

Just in case you weren't feeling too old today, this will certainly
change things. Each year the staff at Beloit College, Wisconsin, puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshman.

Here is this year's list The people who are starting college this fall
across the nation were born in 1982{year I graduated high school}. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.

They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

Black Monday, 1987 is as significant to them as the great depression.

There has been only one Pope.

They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and they do not remember the Cold War. They have never feared a nuclear war.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Tianamen Square means nothing to them.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic. Atari predates
them, as do vinyl albums. The expression "You sound like a broken
record" means nothing to them. They have never owned a record player. They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents. They have
always had an answering machine. Most have never seen a TV set with
only
13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV. They have always
had cable.There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA
was. They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is, or know about the "Help me,
I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial.

Feeling old yet? There's more: They were born the year that Walkman
were introduced by Sony. Roller skating has always meant inline for
them.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show. They have no idea when or
why Jordache jeans were cool. Popcorn has always been cooked in the
microwave. They have never seen Larry Bird play. They never took a
swim and thought about Jaws.

The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as WWI, WWII and the Civil
War. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are. They don't know who
Mork was or where he was from. They never heard: "Where's the beef?",
"I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!".

They don't care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was. The
Titanic was found? They thought we always knew. Michael Jackson has
always been white. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America and Alabama are
places, not rock bands. McDonalds never came in styrofoam containers.
There has always been MTV. They don't have a clue how to use a
typewriter.

Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to the other old fogies. But don't
send it back to me; I feel old enough already.

Flatlander
06/25/2001, 05:18 PM
Gee, thanks Jim, I was having a bad day already.:)

hesaias
06/25/2001, 09:13 PM
Here ya go
True story
The kid across the street wanted to know what song went(picture me doing air guitar to "Smoke on the water") I had a copy of Deep Purple [B][U]Made in Japan[U][B] so I hooked the 16 year old guy up. Inside the cover of the tape there is a record store warranty sticker dated for 1 year after the date of purchase, which was still a year BEFORE he was born. I also gave him Ozzy Ozbournes' Tribute album, thats right the Vinyl Platter, and he asked, "what kind of CD is this?"

Went down the list of words we used wrong, like "ill" Ya know "man that is ill" "buggin" the whole RunDMC schpeel and he said that was "off the hook"
Kids:rolleyes:

johnny
06/26/2001, 08:41 AM
Jim...

actually it's even worse... I'll be 21 as of tomorrow the 27th of June and <b>I</b> fit that category for just about all of those things.

Oh except I did own a record player once... back when mcdonalds gave out records in the sunday paper and you had to play them to see if you won.... I ended up going to toys 'r us and buying a 3 year old's barbie record player :)

Nick

Teri
06/26/2001, 10:23 AM
:confused:
I was sitting at the pool just the other day thinking how YOUNG the lifeguards looked:rolleyes: Then it dawned on me that the lifeguards have always been 16...;)

I only wish I was as smart now as I was when I was 16...:p

slk3599
06/26/2001, 01:10 PM
well that is totally, thoroughly depressing.

I hate to say it but I remember RFK being shot.

CAT
06/26/2001, 04:29 PM
Thanks Jim, I really needed that! NOT !... :confused: ;)

Hey Susan, I remember JFK being shot... and I still remember where I was at the time I heard the news....uh oh.......... :blown:

signu459
06/26/2001, 04:38 PM
Thanks a lot Jim!!

I ahve a milestone birthday coming up and I am not looking forward to it, and you did not help. :blown: :blown: :blown:

;) ;) ;) ;)

Aquaman
06/26/2001, 06:17 PM
hehe, Seems like only yesterday I bought my first computer! a IBM PC with a 5/4 floppy and a total of 512K memory. and I thought I got a deal when I found out basica was included.

I felt really old the other day while cleaning out my closet of computer stuff, which included about a hundred games that were CGA/EGA Then my brother inlaw came over. this 16 year old could not believe that I still had DOS 2.0 on origional disks. Didn't have the heart to mention that I also had DOS 1.0 as well. :(

Yep I was working for a Government Defense contractor when the PC came out so I ran right out and bought one! after awhile I bought myself a 300KB modem and was hooked on the world of BBS's and using Fido! hehe, If you don't know what Fido is I'm not telling :D

FishDaddy
06/27/2001, 05:46 AM
Hey Jim,
I would remember all those things if I could still remember things! :D
In fact, most of the things I remember well never really happened!!:eek:

Any body else remember when a Saturday Matinee movie only cost 9 cents???
Dick:)
:eek:

paranda
06/27/2001, 06:48 AM
Hello Jim,
Last night I was reading my 3 year olds a Clifford book. In the book Clifford rides on a record player like a merry go round. One of the girls asked me what it was. I explained that it was for playing music. She then went and got a CD and told be not to be silly, this is music! That was almost as bad as when the neighbors preteen saw my CD's and asked me what a Pink Floyd was!

signu459
06/27/2001, 07:57 AM
Hey, I have been listening to Pink Floyd for 20 some years and I still don't know what a pink Floyd is. I think that was a reasonable question. ;) ;)

Flatlander
06/27/2001, 08:03 AM
I remember Dick. I recieved 25 cents allowance. Went to the show, bought some goodies and still had money left over.:eek1:

signu459
06/27/2001, 08:17 AM
Hey Doug, I just checked out your web page, nice job!!! And great tank!

johnny
06/27/2001, 08:39 AM
Doug,

if 25 cents bought you a ticket, popcorn, soda, and you still had some money left over... that would be today's equivalent to...

$10 for a matinee ticket
$6.50 for med popcorn
$5.50 for med soda

so that's $22 ... I hope you're giving your children at least that much per week allowance ;)

my father always gives me the "you kids these days blow so much money on sneakers and clothes, when I was young sneakers only cost $3..." then I break down the inflation for him and show him how my $40 adidas cost less by how much I make per hour :D

Nick

Agu
06/27/2001, 10:32 AM
My kids really like "Geezer Rock", The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Santana, The Allman Brothers, Paul Simon (Who's this Garfunkle guy dad?), etc...

Bob Dylan is well known because he's Jakobs dad :eek1:.

Agu

Flatlander
06/27/2001, 12:49 PM
Thanks Tim, thought you seen it before. Big change coming, to much growth & I hate to ge trid of the large soft corals. Setting up a 70g, for my sps alone.

Nick; First, :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D

Your correct with those figures. Ya, my kids recieved lots more. They are grown now. They were all spoiled, money for everything, university for one, house buying help for another, $10000 Canadian for my daughters wedding in Hawaii, loans bailouts,:eek1: But I would change none of it. Especially when I hold my two little grandaughters.:D Guess where the money goes now.:)

johnny
06/27/2001, 01:13 PM
Doug,

I take no shame in calling you grandpa or dad if you would like to adopt me ;) This pesky 4th year of college bills is killing me :D

Nick

Flatlander
06/27/2001, 04:55 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

signu459
06/27/2001, 05:08 PM
Good Answer Doug!!!

FishDaddy
06/27/2001, 08:09 PM
For comparison, we just got back from seeing "Dr. Doolittle II"; 3 matinee tickets = $12.75; dinner for 3 afterwards at a family restaurant = $30.00; total = $42.75. But, my first summer job in High School paid just $25.00 per week.
As Doug points out, its all relative but the important thing is money spent on your family is a bargain at any price!!
Dick:)

RCraw45425
06/27/2001, 10:10 PM
Guys, I'm really glad that the rest of you have also seen the humor of this post. When I received it, the first person that I thought I had to forward it to was Jim, he's one of the ones I know that would truly appreciate it! Funny thing, this actually happened last week, I had one of our friends' younger girlfriend in the car with me, the radio is cranked up and "Live & Let Die (Wings) came on. I immediately cranked it up, reminiscing about seeing the James Bond movie at our last REAL theater here in town, not one of those megaplexes. She (28 years old), says " that sounds like Paul McCartney, but I don't remember that song from The Beatles' "1" CD. " I said, yeah, that's Wings, she gives me this blank look. She had NO CLUE! :confused: I almost drove off the raod laughing so hard. I then informed her semi-signifact other, he rolled on the floor too. What happened to Music Appreciation?! At least my kids are being raised to appreciate the finer musical artists, Floyd, CSN&Y, Tom Petty. Enjoy! Robin

johnny
06/28/2001, 08:15 AM
"3 matinee tickets = $12.75"

Wow that's cheap! No theatre around here plays new movies for under $8/ticket :(

Nick

RCraw45425
06/28/2001, 09:38 AM
matinee tickets are $4.50 here. Go to $7 after 5pm. Robin

hesaias
06/28/2001, 01:59 PM
Sig
Pink Floyd
Pink Anderson, and Floyd Council, Syd Barret dug these 2 old blusemen and stuck thier names together to get Pink Floyd.

Oh yeah, Wings! I was just thinking about a Butter Pie a while ago!

How bout remembering hearing and seeing the 45rpm single of "Come together", with the Apple logo. I was 2. I thought years later my dad was into Aerosmith, until I started listening to the Beatles m'self