PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock question

LowCel
11/22/2003, 10:57 PM
Hi, I am getting ready to order some live rock to finish off my tank. I am sort of leaning towards getting it from TBS since they ship the rock in water. The last time I ordered live rock online I was a little dissapointed in it. It came delivered in wet newspapers. The only live I have ever saw on it has been a few small feather dusters. I have had it for about 5 months now.

I guess my question is has everyone been pretty happy with their experiences with TBS? Does it make a pretty big difference having it shipped in the water compared to other places just using the newspapers?

One last question. Do you think 20 pounds will be enough to complete this tank as far as live rock goes? Or should I go with 25 or even more? The tank is a 55 gallon and it has approximately 60 pounds of rock in it right now, 40 pounds live and 20 pounds base rock. Also, what do you think would look best, just going to a big peak in the middle or two smaller peaks on each side?

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/55swtank.jpg

Thanks again almighty salt guru's! :D

thorsky
11/22/2003, 11:14 PM
I have no first hand experience....YET!

I can merely point you at this thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254435

This is the thread that convinced me to try TBS when I get my tank up. Lots of hitchhikers on the rock which some people don't like, but it seems much more natural IMHO.

landlord
11/22/2003, 11:18 PM
Hey LowCel,

I just got back from TBS earlier. I purchased the 75 gallon package. The owner is a really down to earth cool guy. I watched him packing a shipment for another RC'er today. Shipped in water, pumped up with air. This guy is a packing machine! They get my full recommendation. I was having a hard time getting started with them but that was due to bad weather down here. The rock is top notch.

As far as how much more to get.... That much is up to you but he (Richard daOwner) recommends that you get 2 pounds of LR for every gallon. For you 110 lbs. He has big pieces 100+ lbs down to baseball sized chunks. He'll work with ya, just tell him what you are looking for size-wise and your good to go.

My shipment had the craziest critters covering 100% of the rock in every color of the rainbow.

Have fun with it!

-Landlord

Medaka
11/22/2003, 11:32 PM
Even if its shipped in newspaper it should still have things live on it (worms etc)...unless the ammonia was kept for too high for too long, or maybe the rock wasn't very "live" to begin with.

If the rock is very fresh and doesn't have much die off on it, then I think shipping it in water is a good idea. If the rock comes from far away or has enough die off on it I think wet newspaper is better since all that water would get turned into a toxic ammonia stew.

TBS rock is so fresh since its collected right off the coast, and doesn't have to be flown in from some remote location far away.

I would go for at least 50 pounds of there rock since it's fairly heavy, and I always like buying more rock than I need since a few pieces usually don't "fit in" right...or are rubble.

Beware of some potential pests you might get from there rock though, (mantis shrimp, hairy crabs, etc). I would quarantine there rock in another tank/container before putting it in your main tank...should do it anyways just to avoid a potential ammonia spike :D

coyoteseven
11/22/2003, 11:34 PM
Lowcell,

Here's a thread by Wooglin (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254435&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) about his TBS rock in a 29g. He might be able to give you an idea about what you can look forward to. The pics are beautiful! :inlove:

OrchidMan
11/22/2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by LowCel
Hi, I am getting ready to order some live rock to finish off my tank. I am sort of leaning towards getting it from TBS since they ship the rock in water.
It is the only way to go.
I guess my question is has everyone been pretty happy with their experiences with TBS?
Watching our tank under red lights, there is so much life in there that I wonder if I need to hold the tank down to keep it from growing up and waking away..:eek1: I have been very pleased. :D
One last question. Do you think 20 pounds will be enough to complete this tank as far as live rock goes? Or should I go with 25 or even more? The tank is a 55 gallon and it has approximately 60 pounds of rock in it right now, 40 pounds live and 20 pounds base rock.
I would suggest 40 lbs. That would be one box plus when you add the water and box, the shipping weight will be just under 100 lbs. Your air freight is based on 100 lbs minimum so you can ship 10 lbs, or 40 lbs of rock for the same price. Freight by SouthWest Air was ~40 per hundred weight to Oklahoma and I think I saw someone else in OR or WA say it was about $65 for them.
Also be forwarned, right now they are having some problems diving because of the weather. I know they were back logged last week so order early.
Gary

LowCel
11/22/2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone.

Thorsky.......that is the thread that got me interested in it as well.

Khuye
11/22/2003, 11:37 PM
I also just got back from TBS today, ended up getting the 20 gallon package for my 48 gallon tank( I have about 50 lbs of base). This place is very cool, the actual store is not much to look at, but who cares, their selection of rock is awesome. There is no question about whether or not you are gonna get life on your rock that is for sure!! Personally, I don't think you would regret going with TBS, I know I don't.

Daoust
11/23/2003, 01:56 PM
I got my TBS rock on wed 11-19-03 and shipping for me to california oakland airport was only $65 for 2 boxes 110lbs total weight .
Love the rock so much on it i havent turned on the TV since it arrived .
TBS is UBER!

boyooso
11/23/2003, 04:33 PM
TBS is Great in every way :-)

You won't be sorry for using them, I think there is plenty of things about them on this forum.

I am with some others that suggest you get more like 40-50lbs, I think 50lbs be a better bet. More money, but it will fill your tank nicely. I have 100lbs in my 50gallon and think I could more, but I do like the way my tank looks....

HTH

Alberio
11/23/2003, 05:07 PM
I'd get 25 lbs of boat run. The TBS is more dense than Fiji rock so it will seem like less. As far as aquascaping, I'd just build up the left side to the top of the tank and leave the right side low.

You also might want to put the TBS rock in another tank for a while. Until you can get the little monsters out of it.

TBS rock has tons of life on it. Some of it consider your current tank denizens as food. Gorilla crabs and Mantis Shrimp come to mind.

MJD