PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Fluctuation

landlord
11/22/2003, 09:06 PM
Greetings,

I am trying to figure out a way to avoid buying some fandangled chilling device. I have recently (like today) got my tank up and running. Before I added the 75 lbs of LS and 75 pounds of TBS rock the temp was at 79. I then turned on the halides.

Holy hellfire!

The temperature rose 2 degrees in 2 hours. I have since turned them off. I have 2 Custom Sealife fans blowing on the halides. I don't think I have a lot of options but being that I am just a noob I was hoping someone may have a trick up their sleeve for me.

I am under the impression that temp fluctuation is a bad thing???

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

-Landlord

pr4mncplus
11/22/2003, 09:35 PM
Temp fluctuations ARE a bad thing if the swings are too severe, especially for any inverts in the tank. Since you're using Halides, I don't think you're going to be able to keep your temps within a decent range without a Chiller, even if you only use fans, such as Ice Caps. I actually use a small tub of frozen RO water, placed in my sump, from time to time to keep my temps down if they get over 82. Works great. If I ever had a problem swing in temps, however, I would consider a Chiller to be a wise investment.

MattG
11/22/2003, 09:39 PM
temp fluctuations are bad but are common when people run heavy lighting.

is your canopy open or closed? if there is anywhere you can add vents, that would help im sure.

only other things you can really do besides a chiller is add more fans. you can add them both in the canopy and on your sump if you have one to increase evaporation. you should be able to keep the temp down without a chiller.

i wouldnt be worried if you tank gets to like 82 or so, much higher and you will want to keep a close eye on the temp. when i use to use an enclosed canopy my tank ranged from 79 to 82 throughout the day. all though it isnt ideal i didnt see any noticeable effects on the tank, there might have been but i didnt notice any.

i would just add some more fans and see where you are at.

landlord
11/22/2003, 09:42 PM
The back of the canopy is open so I will add a couple more fans. No sump to blow air over. Looks like the heater won't be getting much use.

Thanks for the info!