PDA

View Full Version : New setup is in, need your opinions

Darold
11/22/2003, 08:09 PM
OK, here is what I just bought today. I need your opinions on each of these products if they are bad, and opinions for good replacements. Also, let me know if there is anything important I forgot. Thanks so much, I am sure that by checking with you before I open anything, I can assure I have good basic equipment to start with.

Book: The New Marine Aquarium - I plan on using this as reference.

TANK: 20G long

Lighting: 24" 20watt Coral life 50/50
(Will do for now - FOWLR, but am sure I will upgrade to higher quality lighting a year down the road)

Protien Skimmer: Sea Clone 100 (New design)
Is this too powerfull?

Filter: Tetra-tecPF 150 w/Heater
Will this heater be enough?

Live sand: 20 pounds Natures Ocean (The one in the bag W/water)

SW Mix: 15 pounds Instant Ocean

MISC:

Red Sea Testing kit
2 nets
Surge Protector (7 outlets)
2 timers (two for $2 :D)
Deap six hydrometer
Thermometer
Mag Float
Cycle
Syphon
2 x 5 gallon buckets

Did I forget anything?

I will be leaving college for a one month vacation during Christmass break, so I do not plan on adding any fish untill then. However is it safe for me to set up the tank with the live sand, and get some live rock for things to get started? I plan on purchasing pre-cured LR. I might be setting up/testing the equipment as early as tonight if I can find some time. Thanks in advance for your info.

saltaholic
11/22/2003, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darold

Book: The New Marine Aquarium - I plan on using this as reference.Dont reference, read it

TANK: 20G longmake sure this is the biggest tank you want

Lighting: 24" 20watt Coral life 50/50
(Will do for now - FOWLR, but am sure I will upgrade to higher quality lighting a year down the road)thats good

Protien Skimmer: Sea Clone 100 (New design)
Is this too powerfull?seaclones are excellent skimmers for smaller tanks

Filter: Tetra-tecPF 150 w/Heater
Will this heater be enough?how many gallons is the heater rated for?

Live sand: 20 pounds Natures Ocean (The one in the bag W/water)

SW Mix: 15 pounds Instant Ocean I would get a bucket of salt as this the best bang for the dollar, also something you want on had for water changes or emergency water changes

MISC:

Red Sea Testing kit
2 nets
Surge Protector (7 outlets)
2 timers (two for $2 :D)
Deap six hydrometer
Thermometer
Mag Float
Cycle
Syphon
2 x 5 gallon buckets

Did I forget anything? ]Lots of research from your book and here at RC. IMO you wouldnt ask these questions if you are doing your homework

I will be leaving college for a one month vacation during Christmass break, so I do not plan on adding any fish untill then. However is it safe for me to set up the tank with the live sand, and get some live rock for things to get started? I plan on purchasing pre-cured LR. I might be setting up/testing the equipment as early as tonight if I can find some time. Thanks in advance for your info. [/QUOTE

Darold
11/22/2003, 09:45 PM
Funny you should mention reading the book. I have had a copy of this book for over a year. Not only have a read it, but its almost memorized. I got an extra copy because the old one isn't readily available, and is falling apart from use.

The 20 long is about 10 more gallons than I have room for unfortunately.

The heat is rated for a 30 I think since it is designed to fit inside a filter designed for a 30. I am not familiar with this filter, and might exchange it for one I know more about.

A bucket of sea salt is more than I have room for in my dorm room. I am already having trouble finding room for the basic equipment.

I feel as though I have done a fair amnount of reading up/eyring the forums. I know I have a LOT to learn however, and appreciate you advice.

beetle bailey
11/23/2003, 12:51 AM
well it looks like your getting plenty of good advice on your setup
I'd just like to add that overkill in the protien skimmer dept.is a good thing(better to big than to small) and remember it takes time for a new tank to find it balance so start with live rock and build on it slowly, all the best!!!

rjwilson37
11/23/2003, 01:27 AM
Since the 20gallon is long, you may need another bag of Live Sand, and the Instant Ocean is what I always use.

As far as Live Rock, get it in and get it going. You should cycle in a little over 2 weeks, but your brown algae will start at about 1 1/2 weeks. You should put your cleanup crew in at that time, (8-10 snails, 6 hermits and a emerlad crab.) and the brown algae bloom will filter off around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks with the help of the cleanup crew and then your ready for fish. You will get spurts of algae blooms, but since your lighting is not that strong you should be ok. I would only run the lights for 8 hours a day until the fish are in.

Good Luck

lebrowski
11/23/2003, 01:34 AM
Sounds like a nice tank on a budget. Keep looking on the RC boards for a nice power compact light to go on your 20. I often see 2 x 55 or 2 x 65w systems on RC. Those would be perfect for your 20.

SeaClone is not too powerful. Seaclones work pretty good for 20 -30 gallon tanks so you did all right.

Your choice of sand would not have been my first choice. You didn't do anything wrong, but you could have saved a couple of bucks.

TBL