PDA

View Full Version : Whale Rescue Mission

Joez
06/24/2001, 11:56 PM
Wild rescue to be undertaken to save a whale:

Whale Rescue Story (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/wnt_whale010624.html)

horge
06/25/2001, 06:52 AM
I took a closer look at the small pic, and ugh!

That fishing line seems to have cut in way too deep.
The color of the exposed flesh isn't too encouraging either.

How the heck do you keep the whale from drowning after sticking it with a tranq dart?

:(

lori344
06/25/2001, 09:30 AM
heartbreaking!

Doug1
06/25/2001, 10:11 AM
If they suceed in tranquilizing it at least it will float. Thats part of the origin of the common name. Bad business all around :(

hartman
06/25/2001, 10:34 AM
I live in Boston and I hate seeing whales died. Although when they beach it is nature but a fishing net is not.

They wanted 2 days ago to sedate the whale but Environmental activist forced the issue into court saying the it has never been tested on whales before and could kill it.

I think the net is doing a good job on it own :(
The wounds look pretty bad, and they say it is suffering from a huge infection.

Hartman

horge
06/26/2001, 12:28 AM
Hi ya Doug,

The "right" whale to kill indeed floated, but often belly up --which is why I brought up the issue of drowning.

kuya ho-ho

hartman
06/26/2001, 03:06 PM
Well,

Yesterday they lost the whale in fog :( Today they found it again 87ish miles off-shore. They are heading out to sedate it so maybe tomorrow they will be able to remove the rope.

I can only assume that if they can sedate it and divers will be removing the rope they will make sure it is blow hole up.

I wonder if whales come with a warning label "Please sedate blow hole towards the air" :) If not the FDA should sue the maker of whales till the proper labels are installed

Hartman

Joez
06/26/2001, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the update Hartman! Where're you getting the info?

BTW, I have no worries about the Maker ;)

hartman
06/26/2001, 03:27 PM
AM Radio, hourly news updates

Hartman

Joez
06/26/2001, 03:29 PM
AM radio huh? That's where they have all that Conservative talk show stuff going on, isn't it?

I'll have to try that one of these days!

hartman
06/26/2001, 03:41 PM
Yeah, It is where the evil and dangerous truth is spoken, just remember the open-minded motto

"Never ever let the truth get in the way of you opinion"

;)

Hartman

signu459
06/26/2001, 04:25 PM
Are you kidding me?? The Enviro-Nazi's took this to court?

So lets see the logic in this one.

Choice one- leave the rope/fishing line in place, let the infection fester, whale will die a slow and very painful death.

Choice two- try to remove the rope without sedating the whale. Which has been tried without any success, which puts you back to choice one.

Choice three- Sedate the whale and risk killing it from either drowning, to much tranquilizer or reaction to the drug itself. Assuming successful tranquilization, remove the rope, clean the wounds and administer antibiotics to rid infection.

So we have two choices that will most certainly end in a horrible death for the animal, and one choice that might end in death. Even if choice three goes horribly wrong and the animal has an adverse reaction to the drug, at least it will be somewhat sedated and die quickly and mostly pain free. Which compared to a slow death by infection and starvation seems quite humane.

This is nearly as whacky as the enviros that insisted on windmills being built in CA, only to find out that they killed birds. So then of course the windmills need to be shut down. Can these people ever be satisfied? My guess is not until all humans are dead and gone from this earth.

I sure hope all goes well for the whale rescue, it sounds like the Wright Whale population cannot afford the loss of another animal.

Oh and thank God for AM radio the home of the truth!

hartman
06/26/2001, 04:50 PM
I think that the North Atlantic right whale population is believed to be as low as 100 or as high as 500.

The wacko's name was Richard Max Strahan. Funny thing I just realized is that the whale is outside our national territorial water which only reach out 12 miles. So why the court even wasted tax payers money is beyond me.

Hartman

hartman
06/26/2001, 05:10 PM
UPDATE:

They have reached the whale and attached a flotation device to stop the whale from diving and keep it afloat during the attempt to remove the rope

They are trying to remove the rope without sedating the whale and only if it poses a threat to the safety of the divers will they sedate it.

It is a male right whale at 50 feet long and 50 tons. Seems strange to waste all this effort on a MALE animal :)

Hartman

Joez
06/26/2001, 05:14 PM
You guys are SO Sarcastic.

I like that!

hartman
06/26/2001, 06:04 PM
:0 Well if it is a MALE whale how can it be right??

Hartman

signu459
06/27/2001, 08:02 AM
Is it spelled Right or Wright? I always thought it was with a W.

Here is the real question, why are they trying to save it if it is Right? That must be why that left wing nut went to court.

hartman
06/27/2001, 10:38 AM
Well no luck, the seditive did not work and they have given up. See the story below

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/bos/news/stories/news-84620120010626-220611.html

Hartman

Vilas
06/27/2001, 02:46 PM
The wacko was trying to get them to get the whale on some kind of rig to lift it up, rather than sedating, for the record.
I'm an environmentalist, but he was just a whacko. Someone who cares about the environment won't stop marine biologists, who know infinitley more about this than they do, from saving a creature.

hartman, we seem to be the token Boston unix admin contingency. :)

signu459
06/27/2001, 02:59 PM
well that really sucks :( :(

hartman
06/27/2001, 03:45 PM
Vilas,

Yes we are but I would believe we are more than just "tokens" since we work with the BEST OS in the world :)

Hartman

Started on MAC
Moved to PC DOS
Then to Novell
Then to NT

and then from the darkness into the light

UNIX , using Solaris 2.6 :) and soon Solaris 8