PDA

View Full Version : Play that Funky Music, White Boy....

Jamesurq
11/20/2003, 03:11 PM
As many or perhaps none of you know - I am an amateur DJ in my spare time. Basically I have a pretty nice 500 watt or so PA system with about 100 hours of MP3's and a $100 PCDJ software on my laptop that essentially makes me a DJ.....

I've done probably 10 parties over the last few months - mostly the same crowd - early thirties to late fourties - heavy drinkers... By the end of the night I've gotten so many sloppy drunk compliments I actually (in my own drunken stouper) believe that I'm a really great DJ!!!

So - I digress - I was asked to DJ the Elementary School's "Sock Hop" this Friday - and last time I checked, most elementary school kids will be at least partially sober for most of the night. I have to kick out the 50's music mixed with some popular stuff and stay clear of the disco tunes that get the over 30 crowd so hyped up....

What I'd like is any of the following:

A: Some "must play" songs for sock-hops (come on I know there's some old farts on here that actually went to some!!)

B: Some corney "in-between the songs" lingo like the following: "Coming to you from the fatest stacks in wax here's another rocking good tune"

C: What the heck do Elementary School kids dance to these days?

Anyone?

AttackDonut
11/20/2003, 04:23 PM
yowch-

Tell you what, in the local record shop (tower music) they have comp. cds of 40s, then 50s and 60s etc. available.

They are by and large the Top 40 of their time, but I think it'd work.

You could try modern rendetions of 40s/50s tunes done by bands like Cherry Poppin' Daddies or Stray Cats, but I'd listen to them and edit if need be first.

Good luck.

Jamesurq
11/20/2003, 04:25 PM
thanks.

srit1
11/20/2003, 04:30 PM
C: What the heck do Elementary School kids dance to these days?

50 cent, Nelly - but make sure they are editted

britney, christina, hillary duff

i know they arent sock hop music but i figured i could answer that question

what age are they?

Jamesurq
11/20/2003, 04:35 PM
1st grade through 5th grade that would be about age 6 to age 11 tops - you sure about 50 cent? Lets just say this - there are very few kids in the school that celebrate Kwanza..... (was that tactful enough?)

O'Man
11/20/2003, 04:36 PM
Corney:

"The Witchdoctor" Alvin & the Chipmunks.
Splish Splash
The Shaving Cream Song
(too much Dr. Demento as a kid)

In between: "The Curley Shuffle"

Cool:
Chuck Berry... almost anything of his.

And don't forget "My Ding A Ling"

Ah, go watch Happy Days on Nick at Night (if they are still on) and take notes.

srit1
11/20/2003, 04:58 PM
ahhhhhhh - too young - try the sponge bob squarepants theme song =)

i catch your drift about the audience however I am pretty sure 50 cent and nelly appeal to all races.. at least they do in my experience with kids in elemen school - whether thats good or not is a different topic

skeletor121
11/20/2003, 05:49 PM
My 6 year old likes just about anything that comes on the Pop radio station. Luckily I get control of the radio in the car so I can listen to my music. She also likes hard rock (Metallica, Godsmack, etc.) and some Punk (Dropkick Murphys, etc.). But like all the other posts say: Make sure you are getting the edited versions of the songs.

Jamesurq
11/21/2003, 08:47 AM
here's the thing - Maybe I'm old fashioned but I would rather not play songs to the 6-11 year old crowd that have to be edited for explicit lyrics.... Kinda like serving them non-alcoholic beer....

srit1
11/21/2003, 09:00 AM
quite true - but such is the nature of SOME of the music they like

lilbuddy
11/21/2003, 09:12 AM
kids these days..... you can probably play some 2 live crew....

I had to drop some stuff off at my wifes church (mormon) one night they were have a dance and there were these girls maybe 12-14 year olds out there doing the butt dip dance. I have no idea what its called but my jaw was on the ground.

James
Im sure this is going to be a very eventful night for you....
:dance:

Jamesurq
11/21/2003, 09:29 AM
Anyone have any MP3's they can e-mail me that might be appropriate - I'd be very appreciative...

crab0000
11/21/2003, 09:33 AM
Watch Nickelodeon and order all the cheesy CD's they offer. The plus side is you usually get posters of these 13 year old boys with them:rolleyes: . I love Nick, but they have one of these commercials every five minutes. BTW some of the compilations discs don't look that bad and they are sang by kids and should already have any colorful language edited out.
Steve

Chrash236
11/21/2003, 10:18 AM
lilbuddy--likes 12-14 yr old girls lol

Play some beach boys

thrlride
11/21/2003, 11:13 AM
Chrash236, that's the first thing I thought too! LOL. I'm sorry I can't help more, I don't have any connections with 6 year olds. I would say Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake or stuff like that. I wouldn't know if these kids would like pop, hip/hop or whatever. If you come up with a mp3 you need I can check my collection.

wizardgus®
11/21/2003, 11:54 AM
For the sock hop soound anything by Sha-Na-Na.

Jamesurq
11/21/2003, 11:59 AM
OK - so send me some Britney Spears and Sha-na-na tunes....

I do have the "at the hop" from Woodstock - but that is the limit of my Bowser tunes....

Jamesurq
11/21/2003, 12:44 PM
OK _ by advisement of a friend I was told to get these songs - she wasn't sure of the exact titles....

If someone can e-mail them to me - that would be AWSOME!!!

Pink - get the party started
Outkast - Hey ya
Justin Timberlake - Black Eyed Peas....

Anemone
11/21/2003, 01:06 PM
Wierd Al....the tunes are the same, but the lyrics will keep the elementary school crowd having fun....

Kevin

thrlride
11/21/2003, 01:25 PM
What's your email address? I have hey ya on my laptop here. I might have the pink one too. Black eye'd peas is in the car downstairs.

Jamesurq
11/21/2003, 01:25 PM
Good point - not sure he's still hip though.... hmmmm..... now that I think of it - not sure he was ever "hip".... Come to think of it - not sure "hip" is hip anymore.....

I'm in trouble.... gulp..

beerguy
11/21/2003, 01:28 PM
My 13yr old loves Weird Al. He get's a monthly allowance for iTunes and spends a bunch on WA.

Kengar
11/21/2003, 06:24 PM
B.S. to all of the above. Fire up the Rush, and teach these kids what good music is all about. You're never too young to learn.

beerguy
11/21/2003, 06:38 PM
Pink Floyd - Meddle

They'll all have nightmares/flashbacks/tremors for weeks.

mingzen
11/21/2003, 08:22 PM
whatever you do, for the sanity of all the adults in the room PLEASE DO NOT GET THE COMPILATION CDS SUNG BY LITTLE KIDS. i saw on tv once cd being sold where a lot of little kids are singing/shouting/wailing today's trendy songs, like evanescense's "come undone" (honestly i despise them on the radio, but when the kids sing it, i get nightmares), "hit me baby," and something by n'sync. it's truly atrocious.