PDA

View Full Version : ready to kill my skimmer

sls
11/19/2003, 09:42 AM
i just installed my 40 gal. sump so i put in my brand new americle quad I skimmer. its running on a via aqua va306 which runs 530gph with o' head the problem is it has been running for like 2 weeks and producing minimal white foam that when it pops is a yellowish liqiud. the only way i can get any foam to the cup is to have the needle valve completely open. everybody keeps telling me to let it break in but its been 2-weeks. if i turn in the needle valve for a drier foam it doesnt produce anything. i also have a super cheap in tank skimmer i got from petco that produces black nasty skimmate when hooked up but this one gives me nothing. anybody know if i should be running a bigger pump on it? throw it against the wall? anybody own one of these. HEEEEEEEEEEELP. oh, sorry for the long post

Inflames
11/19/2003, 11:48 AM
id say get 2 or 3 more petco skimmers :) j/k. So youre running both at the same time? If thats the case then the petco one is gettin all the crap out before the via aqua. At least thats what it sounds like to me. Im not totally familiar with via aqua skimmers so i cant really help you on that end.

sls
11/19/2003, 12:00 PM
actually its a americle skimmer with a via aqua pump. and that was my first thoughts also. so i took out the cheap skimmer and went with just thye americle but it didnt change a thing. im wondering if the pump isnt strong enough but ive seen skimmers this size run on maxi jet1200's and i think those are only like 350gph

Galford
11/20/2003, 04:37 PM
I don't know much about the Via Aqua pumps but accroding to amiracle's web site they suggest the following pumps:

Pump Recommendations (not included):

Rio 1700, 2100, 2500 (642-748gph)
Otto 200 (not sure)
MAG 350, 500, 700 (350-700gph)

I have seen the Quad one in action and it was doing a great job on the RIO 2100.

I would double check to see if your venturi intake is clogged with salt. I own a Mini quad and have to clean out the venturi intake every so often.

Heres there site: http://www.amiracle.com/QuadOneInstructions.htm

BTW - Maxi-jet 1200 is rated at 295gph.

sls
11/20/2003, 05:04 PM
see, i think i figured out the problem, i bought a pump for 530gph thinking it was about adequate with the rio 1700, but after rechecking, the rio puts out about 650gph. i think my pump is a little weak. my wifes gonna kill me when i drop another 50 bucks on a new pump. well, at least i got the skimmer for a mere 20 bucks at a local truckload sale.