PDA

View Full Version : plumbing line material. Vinyl or PVC?

auto_loader
11/16/2003, 10:41 AM
I was trying to decide whether to use PVC pipe or clear Vinly tubing to plumb the overflow and return lines from my 120 gallon display tank to my 55 gallon sump. I am looking for some feedback to help decide how.

It seems like most pictures I see people using PVC pipe so I am not sure if there is a reason that this is better than Vinyl.

Is there any pros or cons in using the vinyl tubing for overflow and return lines instead the PVC pipe. It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to install vinyl tube instead of PVC and you could avoid 90 degree bends in the PVC which would add resistance to the return lines.

They also have re-inforced vinyl tube. Is this a better choice if I use the tubing?

acroporas
11/16/2003, 11:03 AM
I would use flexible PVC. The dissadvantage to normal PVC is that it is not felxable and the disadvantage to vinal is that it kinks easily.

Also Flex PVC will fit directly into any PVC fitting making plumbing much easier than with vinal.

kevinpo
11/16/2003, 11:24 AM
You can also use spa flex which is white and glues into PVC fittings. Here are some pros and cons:

PVC rigid piping:
Best chemical and UV resistance.
Opaque so it doesn't grow algae inside.
Not flexible so more flow is lost using elbows.

Clear flexible PVC:
Will harden over time especially when exposed to UV (note how car dashboards crack over time).
grows algae inside quickly even in areas exposed to very low light levels.
Very flexible, easy to work with and cut.
Needs hose clamps to secure it in place.
Thinner wall types kink but the thicker wall stuff is quite kink resistant.

White spa flex:
Not as flexible as clear especially 1.5" size and larger.
Glues into regular PVC fittings.
Is Opaque which prevents algae growth:
UV resistance is somewhere between rigid and soft PVC.

Note: I have used clear PVC for years and although it hardens and turns a little milky it has not failed.

HTH,
Kevin