PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor?

Dlckwood
11/14/2003, 05:36 PM
Hello, I have a 40 gallon reef and I want to add a calcium reactor. The only problem is I dont know what one and everything that I need. I dont like to ask the fish store because they olny want to seel me what they have. Thanks
DLCKWOOD:p

Dlckwood
11/15/2003, 12:19 AM
Anyone?

skattabrain
11/15/2003, 12:23 AM
you need..

a bottle of CO2
regulator valve
calcium reactor
feed pump
media

bowfront
11/15/2003, 12:33 AM
I have one of these (http://www.myreefcreations.com/reactors.html). Well not exactly Andy keeps changing things for the better so I have an older model. Lots of xtra stuff to find room for but well worth it IMO.

skattabrain
11/15/2003, 12:38 AM
got mine from reef mania - http://www.reefmania.net

jdieck
11/15/2003, 01:11 AM
Here we go:

1) CO2 Cylinder, For your size a 5 to 10 pound capacity bottle will be OK. You can buy the cylinder or rent it from your local welding supply store. Ask for beberage grade CO2 (Not industrial or Welding grade as it might contain traces of hydrocarbons you do not want)

2) CO2 regulator to lower the cylinder pressure to the operating pressure of the reactor. Try to look for the following features: Dual Gauge, Solenoid valve (To automate addition) and needle valve to control bubble rate. Some come with a bubble counter. Look for a BlueLine or Milwakee regulator. If you want cheaper you may adap something you can get on e-Bay but carful as not all of them work properly for this application.

3) Calcium reactor with media: There are many good brands out there K2R, Korallin, Knop, MyReefCreations, MTC Pro-Cal, Geo. The most favored ones for performance seem to be Korallin, MTC Pro-Cal mini and GO. MRC is also favored due to performance and price but might be too large for your system. For a 40 gal tank, look for a reactor that can handle a minimum of 100 gal or more as you will soon find out that you will need the extra capacity for your future SPS corals. Features you need: Easy open and close for media replacement, Good effluent flow valve and look for an Eheim pump for recirculation as IMO they have proven very reliable for this applications. Nice to have: Pressure gauge, pre filter, effluent flow meter. For media you can get ARM Calcium reactor (My favorite as it disolves easily) or Koralith favored for higher purity.

4) Means to feed water to the reactor in the way of a tap from your return, a powerhead in your sump etc.

5) Means to monitor your effluent's PH. PH Test kits will not be accurate enough so I strongly recommend a PH monitor. A popular one is the Pinpoint PH monitor. If you want it easier you can go for a PH controller which will turn on and off the supply of CO2 as needed to maintain the PH of your effluent.

6) Good Alkalinity and Calcium Test Kits as you will need to almost test daily during the setup period. I personally like LaMotte for Alkalinity and Salifert for Calcium

Aprox cost of the set up:

a) CO2 Cylinder: $40 to 80
b) Regulator: $80 to $130
c) Reactor: $150 to $300
d) Monitor / Controller: $80 / $160
e) Alkalinity Test Kit $14 to $25
f) Calcium Test Kit $10 to $20

Total Range Cost: $375 to $650

Happy Reefing!

BobCReef
11/15/2003, 01:24 AM
i have the Korillan 1500. got mine on ebay. new with co2 tank, regulator, reactor & media. complete set up

spanker
11/15/2003, 01:28 AM
DLCKWOOD, you're not into the DIY option? It can save you some $$$.

Dlckwood
11/15/2003, 01:32 AM
Wow thanks for all the reponses and a huge thanks to you jdieck. That was exactly the info that I was looking for.
DLCKWOOD

:p

Dlckwood
11/15/2003, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure I know what DIY is. What is That.
DLCKWOOD:p

spanker
11/15/2003, 01:41 AM
Do it yourself. You're not into gluing your own together?

jdieck
11/15/2003, 02:06 AM
:thumbsup: Welcome!

Dlckwood
11/15/2003, 02:14 AM
If I knew what to do maybe.
DLCKWOOD

spanker
11/15/2003, 02:32 AM
Dlckwood, check out

This thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=268833)

and

This Thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144438)

The last has detailed plans, the first is a discussion going on in this forum about this very topic. Like I said, if you have the means to cut acrylic sheets from home depot, then your probably have the means to build your own.

invincible569
11/15/2003, 09:25 AM
Try getting a Kalk Reactor first.. its cheaper! If not, a CA reactor would be good too. Try Kevin out.. he does excellent acrylic work and can make you anything..

www.aquaticimagesystem.com