PDA

View Full Version : featherduster stays in tube

jammoye2
11/14/2003, 11:26 AM
I've had my duster for about a week and the last couple of days it has not exposed it's feathers. I have him lodged in the dsb in moderate water flow. Is this normal behaviour?

Fizz71
11/14/2003, 12:21 PM
I'd say no. I bought mine a few weeks ago and that thing was out as soon as the environement around him was stable. He was even open while I dripped him. You're sure it didn't ditch it's crown right? You saw it open at the store? What are your parameters?

And most importanty...is anything picking at it?

--Fizz

intrudah
11/14/2003, 01:00 PM
Mine did the same thing, but all i got left is the empty stick thingy all the feathers disappered, I think my cowry or blenny had him for midnight snack

jammoye2
11/14/2003, 06:27 PM
Parameters are ok. salinity is about 1.024 and I only have 2 clowns, 2 chromis, and some crabs and snails so I don't think anything is picking at it. It was out in the store and it was out for the first few days in my tank.

Meeko
11/14/2003, 06:39 PM
maybe it starved and shed its crown. Possibly the lfs was not dosing phyto? They need phyto to live. Otherwise they will starve. I had a featherduster lose it's crown once - my gsm bothered the heck out of it until it got stressed and popped its crown. All of my others were doing fine. It was purple, but it is now growing a back green crown. Don't take the tube out since even if it did lose its crown, given the right parameters, it will grow back.

nmaho
11/14/2003, 06:46 PM
i had one which was brown and i thought i had lost it and a week later it came back ot ony green

jammoye2
11/14/2003, 09:50 PM
I have been dosing dt phytoplankton every other day so it shouldn't be starving. We'll just wait and see.

jammoye2
11/15/2003, 08:48 AM
This morning the feathers are back out in all their glory so I guess it was taking a rest or didn't like something about the water quality.