PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to France!

Joez
06/21/2001, 11:53 AM
Like everyone, I love and admire the French. Couple of notes:

Progressive France has a higher crime rate than the U.S. They have 109 more crimes per 100,000 people than in the United States. How about that? Apparently, the crime rate has been increasing dramatically, according to a French news agency (Agency French something).

Here's one you just need to read:

How do you say Jerry Springer in French? (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2001/0621/fro3.htm)

This from the great people who excoriate the U.S. president for being stupid and regressive!

hartman
06/21/2001, 01:15 PM
Joez,

So what if their crime rates is higher. Since no one uses guns over there you can just run away.
You should know by now it not the crime that is the problem but how it is committed :)

Don't be hard in inbreeding, we don't want to hurt the feelings of all those who live in Maine :)

Hartman

Joez
06/21/2001, 02:01 PM
Ouch! The Maine militia will be all over you.

I love the indignation in the inbreeding article:

"My baby was not born of an incestuous union."

And this sidebar:

"Robert is disfigured by a failed suicide attempt."

As well he should be! I say.

simonh
06/21/2001, 02:31 PM
Eh,

Rather confusing story but how did California become involved and £135,000 round trip? Why didn't it just take place in France?

Personally I'm not sure an entire nation can be mocked by the acts of a couple of individuals.

Joez
06/21/2001, 02:41 PM
She was too old to qualify for artificial insemination locally, and apparently her eggs expired.

So, she tapped her brother for his genetic material (of course), got the eggs from another woman, and implanted one in the bio-mom and one in herself (increaing the odds of success I suppose..

It does seem expensive. I guess there was a lot to coordinate, and maybe they like to travel in style.

Mark
06/21/2001, 02:42 PM
Just curious, how many of these crimes involve murder. I'd like to see a comparison of murder-related crimes from both the US and France.

Joez
06/21/2001, 06:36 PM
Don't know, and I guess if I need to be a victim of crime, I'd rather be robbed or raped than murdered. But, the consolation only goes so far.

You make a good enough talking point though!

Mark
06/21/2001, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty neutral on the issue, since I am neither American or French. I'm just always a little sekptical of statistical data. So I was simply curious what the comparison would be in terms of violent crime, since crime is a pretty broad term. For example, if there is a high percentage of bicycle thefts (a common thing in Europe), then that would skew the statistics. I'd much rather get my bike stolen, than be popped by some dude on the street.:D I have no idea how France is in terms of violent crime, so just wondering.:)