PDA

View Full Version : Marine Goop?

SciGuy2
06/21/2001, 11:07 AM
I know many experienced reefers use "Marine Goop" and several other "Goop" glues.

Funny thing: have you noticed that it specifically says on the packaging that they are not recommended for aquarium use?

Why do you think they put that on the label? Anyone have trouble with the glues in aquarium use?

Thanks in advance,
-Sci

chrislef
06/21/2001, 11:54 AM
The glue should not be used to glue the aquarium itself together.

It does not have the flexible characteristic of silicone that both allows it to bond glass well and at the same time keep it 100% watertight.

But in the aquarium I have used it successfully.

I actually believe that most of the different Goops are the same glue inside the tube. does anyone know otherwise? I'd really like to know.

-CL

dougc
06/21/2001, 12:13 PM
I would have to guess that the "Not for aquarium use" disclaimer is more for liability reasons than anything else. My Silent Surge (may it rest in peace) was entirely glued together with Marine Goop. If it can stick to PVC plastics, it can stick to anything.

witchdoctor
06/21/2001, 05:57 PM
I used it extensively for the internal partitions of my sump, and it worked great. Wouldn't trust the integrity of the seal in an aquarium seam sort of application, it contracts and separates as it dries too much.

aloha