PDA

View Full Version : Sick Puffer

Kelcie
06/19/2001, 10:08 PM
Hi, I bought a Jewel puffer on Friday, she died on Sunday from what appears to be an ulcer type of infection. I brought her back to the LFS and they agreed that she had acquired this infection before I brought her home, so they gave me a replacement.Hmm.
The new Puffer was immediately put in a 10g quarantine tank and is being treated with myacin as a precautionary measure.
Now she appears to have some swelling on the side of her jaw and what appears to be an ulcer near the underbelly...WHAT the heck is going on??? If I'm treating her...shouldn't she NOT be getting worse??? As she did not show any sign of disease, but was in the same tank as the one that died.
water perimeters are as follows:
ph 8.3
salinity 1.022
nitrate,nitrite,ammonia-0
I have a bio-wheel going without filter at this time.
and a bubble wand
Live rock and coral substrate
I've done two treatments...Sunday-Monday according to directions and made a 3g water change before each treatment.
Any info would be appreciated....love my Puffer!!

billsreef
06/19/2001, 11:15 PM
Freshly imported puffers can be suceptable to Uronema type infections. This can usually be treated with formalin dips and antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. Use the RC search function to find the directions for doing a formalin dip.