PDA

View Full Version : Resident Nut Case goes off topic again :D

signu459
06/19/2001, 03:21 PM
Agu, well said!! As usuall :):)

Jim- this is your thread so you're the boss, if you want this next part moved deleted or just start a new thread please advise.

I know this is off topic but i just have to ask?????

Originally posted by Nancy King
As far as foreign policy goes, the world watches him with bated breath, not because all other nations hate him or fear him but because of his inexperience in foreign policy. He'll learn, we all do.
Do I personally like his politics...no... but I have to reserve judgement its really too early in his term to form an opinion one way or another.

As I recall (please correct me if I am wrong), but I thought that you had said in a previous thread that you had worked on foreign policy for previous admins. If that is the case then you should have a well developed and educated opinion as to the capabilities of our leaders with respect to foreign policy. having said that here is the question.

Why is Bushes Foreign policy capability so in doubt? I just don't understand the logic, I do however understand the bias. Relative to previous admins Bush (2) stands on equal or better ground. When compared to Clinton to me he is miles ahead!! Clinton like Bush (2) was only a Gov before winning office. Bush (2) unlike Clinton was the Governer of the 11th largest economy in the world, in the state of Texas. Arkansas on the other hand doesn't even register on the list. Bush as the Gov of TX made several trips to Mexico, Pres Clinton didn't make any such trips as Gov AK. Bush made a clear and direct effort to surround himself with the very best experts on Foreign policy, with people like Powell, Rice, and Cheany. All of whom have decades of experience in that field, some serving in similar roles under Bush (1). I don't seem to recall nearly the experience or prominence in the Clinton Admin. All of this and I don't remember anyone questioning Clintons Capability as a sound foreign policy leader.

Go back to Reagan and you can see the same thing. Just a dumb actor who got lucky and won. And Reagan is now regarded as one of the best their was. For proof look at the state of the USSR today. To me this is nothing more than press bias.

Yes we need to wait and see, but far to many people world wide and in the US are already condeming him and he hasn't even had a chance. I know that your quote may not be your opinion, as it appears that you are just repeating the veiw of others.

nk57
06/19/2001, 03:58 PM
Hi Tim,

Nope... I'm still toiling away in foreign service. I'll be there for a good long while....unless I win Powerball or something. :)
You are right about our past few Presidents' and their foreign policies. Many of them came into office with little or no experience. How they end up depends on a few things. Having a competent staff at the State Dept. is first and foremost in developing an administrations' foreign policy. With the exception of the Secy. it is probably the most stable office in the govt with very little turnover. Having a competent rational and level headed Secretary is crucial in developing foreign trust and policy. Ms. Albright and Genl. Powell are good examples.
Having trusted advisors and following their advice is also crucial in establishing trust among other nations. Believe it or not...travelling and schmoozing is also important. I know many Americans bristle when they see any President taking Air Force 1
overseas for another round of seemingless endless detente meetings but thats a part of the schmooze factor. This is where Ronald Reagan was a master ! (as was Richard Nixon in his latter years ).
Finally, how a President handles seemingly mundane domestic issues is watched with a microscope from the other side. As with any new boss in any work situation, the worker bees whether foreign or domestic are watching the middle of the hive.

BTW...when I'm not being sent to glorious vacation spots like Bejiing, Tokyo, Taiwan, Hanoi, and Afghanistan, I teach Intl. Relations at a NY University. Damn....and I thought when I joined the forien service in 1979 that I'd be sent to exotic place like Paris, Rome or Majorca. Guess the joke was on me huh?

KASESQ
06/20/2001, 12:01 PM
Good intelligence is vital-our decision makers need to know what is happening all over the world. I can't help but think that Iran, Iraq and other countries didn't need to follow the paths they now travel.

Kevomac
06/20/2001, 09:12 PM
OK, gotta jump in here. As a Texan, I must remind you that the position of governor of Texas has very limited authority in state government. The post of Lieutenant governor in Texas actually has more real power, so don't give the Shrub (aka Bush (2)) too much credit. Second, Shrub campaigned claiming that he had done great things for education in Texas. As a public educator in Texas, I can assure you, he did NOTHING for the students or the teachers of Texas, and was widely criticized and even villified by many employees of the public schools.

As far as public policy, one trait stands out above all else when it comes to successful presidents. Tact. A quality that Shrub is sorely lacking in. If you don't believe me, visit www.bushcartoon.com some time and look at the obscenity laced quote that he said to a newspaper editor in the Bushisms section. Also, have we already forgotten how he and Cheney insulted the group of people they were speaking before when they thought the microphones were off? If I remember right, they refused to apologize afterwards! (Sounds like another stubborn Texas President doesn't it? Does anybody else remember Johnson? At least he was an honest jack-a_s!) All right, I'll quit now before I get my reply pulled.