PDA

View Full Version : New Carpet being eaten by angel?

JTrigger
11/09/2003, 03:18 PM
Just wondering if anyone's had this experience before.. but last night I bought a green carpet for my clowns... and this morning the edges seem pretty frayed and torn on one side... and I saw my dwarf angel picking at it... I knew they might pick at softies and polyps and whatnot.. but a carpet??

JT

BonsaiNut
11/09/2003, 04:55 PM
I have kept a lot of anemones and dwarf angels over the years and have never experienced this. You might consider feeding the angel a little more... but I can't really help you. Surprised that the clowns let the angel get near.

JTrigger
11/09/2003, 05:02 PM
It's bizarre... my angel has never touched any of the coral.. and eats well with the others each day when I feed... and now I put the carpet in last night.. the clowns took to it in no time.. and every 5-10 min I see the angel swooping around and nipping at it ... with obvious damage. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr... $89 carpet... vs. less expensive angel.. LoL

JT

chris79
11/09/2003, 07:24 PM
i have a blue carpet that my imperator was tearing to pieces, then one day he messed up and got his body to close and had little blue tentacles stuck to his side. he hasnt messed with it since

JTrigger
11/09/2003, 07:35 PM
I kept wondering how the heck he gets away with not getting STUCK to those lil nematocysts....

chiapet
11/09/2003, 09:53 PM
JTrigger,
Maybe your angel should play the lottery!

LOL

I am with BonsaiNut...I am surprised that the clowns are letting the angel even get close.

JTrigger
11/09/2003, 10:02 PM
It's wierd.. the clowns are pretty tough holding the fort against all the others, but they don't care at all when the angel swoops in and finds a place to pick while they sit there.. sheesh

JT

keefsama2003
11/17/2003, 09:01 AM
not to get off the subject but JT that is a beautiful clam where did you get it from i love the colors.

chicki
11/17/2003, 09:30 AM
I know that the books list the large angels as one of the fish that are not safe with anemones.

My angels tend to pick at any new thing that is put in the tank, but leave the critters that were already there prior alone. When I added a carpet my majestic took a nip but then left it alone. Maybe yours will tire of it shortly as well. If I were you I would lay a fish net as close as you can to the carpet. The angel should be afraid of the net and stay away from it. After a week of so remove the net and see if this doesn't help?
good luck

TIGER SHARK
11/17/2003, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure the net thing would work unless you chase the angel every time it gets close. If the net is just sitting there, they will get used to it and not be afraid anymore. I used to put food in a net and eventually I had all my fish eating from the net. This is nice when you need to remove a fish, they swim right into the net for you.

JTrigger
11/17/2003, 09:14 PM
The angel has let up on the carpet.. so all is well :)

JT