PDA

View Full Version : Why are yumas expensive? Supply issues or Demand from us?

Westpat
11/07/2003, 10:41 PM
It seems that everyone wants red, pink, or orange yumas lately. Also yellow. Are we as hobbyists creating an artificially inflated market, or is it that much harder to collect yuma?

It seems that R.florida seems plentiful now, and the interest has shifted to the R.yuma. Is it that yumas are less plentiful, in turn certain colors are even more scarce?

I am just wondering if there are any precedents as far as demand for other corals, and is this just a fad that will adjust itself as more and more are aquacultured?

Yes yumas are beautiful, and yes the pink ones are stunning, but I just have a hard time justifying the gratification vs. the monetary output.

I feel pretty strongly about this, so I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

David

Azurel
11/08/2003, 08:14 AM
Well I know That pinks and reds are a rare color morph thusly creating a high price, plus you have a high demand for them too. I think Yumas are a little harder to collect and a little deeper waters and then you have to get them here from way over there... Floridas are right here in our back yard so to speak so they can be collected and sold for a little less due to the location of the collection points...Usually corals that are red or has red in it is from a little deeper water from some of the books I have read, so that would make the Red, Pink, Oranges yumas a little tougher to get.....

Simbo18
11/11/2003, 07:52 AM
Yes, red ususally means it's a deep water specimen but not always true. It's a form of camouflage because the deeper the water gets the more the red light spectrum is filtered out, thats why if your ever diving and you start to bleed it is a green color.

But then that theory is sort of destroyed when you put a yuma in intense light, right?? So I don't know what to say about the red and pink yuma being so expensive because I doubt it comes from deep water.....

Luke

tike
11/11/2003, 05:13 PM
I believe it's shipping and demand combined. I think the price will drop soon. Seeing how fast they can be fragged.

Bryan Thompson
11/11/2003, 07:14 PM
It is all supply! I have an open order every week. I just tell them to send everyone they can find. Most weeks I get 0. The most I have ever received was 2. They are just that rare.

Bryan

tike
11/11/2003, 07:54 PM
That's good to know Bryan!
Thanks

Westpat
11/11/2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks Bryan,
I really appreciate the interaction that you give on the board. It gives a good insight to the supply side, and also keeps us drooling for your product. I was on your page tonight, and the main page text was blank. I was trying to get your number so my brother could call you. I think he is going to make a trip this weekend. Thanks for the help you give all of us!

David

ggentles
11/11/2003, 10:32 PM
David,

For some reason our web hosting service was having problems with the servers tonight. I think its all fixed now. Here's Bryan's number 317-714-1685.

Hope that helps!

Gary
Blowfish Aquatics (www.blowfishaquatics.com)

Two eye hooter
11/12/2003, 08:49 PM
agree with everyone.

huge demand, very low supply = HUGE price!

i agree with tike, i foresee the price dropping slowly similar to what happened to RBTA. ricordias a very easy to frag and very hearty.

el Presidente
11/17/2003, 09:16 AM
Man, I hope you are right about the prices coming down... I see a one half inch yuma and 100$ price tag and think MY GOD!

elefink
11/24/2003, 09:09 PM
So reefers should solve the problem for ourselves! Frag your yumas!

REEFnR6
11/26/2003, 02:28 PM
Just wondering what the LFS's are charging for yuma's in your area?

I see descent colored single polyps going for $80-$100 in El Paso, TX. I dont even ask about the multi-polyped rocks or the exotic colors. I keep thinking they are overpriced, but the price isn't coming down too quickly.

casbarian
12/09/2003, 07:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2365156508&category=3212&rd=1

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

dwarfatize
12/09/2003, 11:45 PM
so If I sold my yuma and it went for $200+ I would be rich! LOL!

I am going to have to agree with Westpat and thank you Bryan for staying active on the boards. I know of a lot of LFS will brouse the boards but rarly post. I think it is great to see a store owner who is active in the reefing community.

stereomandan
12/10/2003, 12:06 AM
Yes, I think we are self inflating the hobby for yumas. If you remember a year ago, the big craze was rose anemone's. They were $100+ each also.

If people are willing to pay this much for yuma's, some people will sell it for that price. I don't spend that much on any of my corals.

I spent $40 for 4 pink ricordia florida's. Granted, they were bleached, and I took a gamble, but they came out beautiful. This was before the big ricordia craze. Now I could make a bundle if I wanted to, but that's not what I'm about. They are ricordia florida, which in my opinion are much better looking than the yumas.

Dan

dwarfatize
12/10/2003, 02:34 AM
I personally would never spend 100 on a coral. Mainly because I don't trust myself to keep it alive, but then you see a deal that is too good to pass up and you just have to take it.

SurferStevo
12/10/2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by stereomandan
Yes, I think we are self inflating the hobby for yumas. If you remember a year ago, the big craze was rose anemone's. They were $100+ each also.

If people are willing to pay this much for yuma's, some people will sell it for that price. I don't spend that much on any of my corals.

I spent $40 for 4 pink ricordia florida's. Granted, they were bleached, and I took a gamble, but they came out beautiful. This was before the big ricordia craze. Now I could make a bundle if I wanted to, but that's not what I'm about. They are ricordia florida, which in my opinion are much better looking than the yumas.

Dan
Bingo, my thoughts exactly. I even like the floridas better. :p
I'd compare this to the tear drop maximas - they are absolutely beautiful clams but at an average price of $350......I'll just have to admire them at the LFS's tanks.

REEFnR6
12/10/2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by REEFnR6
Just wondering what the LFS's are charging for yuma's in your area?

Anyone?

Azurel
12/10/2003, 03:10 PM
It depends one has some for 32.95 but all of thier mushroom rocks as they call'em are 32.95, the other I have not bought any from them yet just started going to them so I will find out eventully....

REEFnR6
12/11/2003, 12:42 AM
Thanks Azurel- are those yumas for $33?

dwarfatize
12/11/2003, 01:48 AM
for yumas my LFS charges anywhere between 10-150 a polyp depending on color and size.

GinaSofia
12/11/2003, 01:59 AM
I have an orange w/a white stripe yuma that a friend gave me ..it is huge,7"..I've only had it a few days.Does it's size indicate that it might split or will it just keep growing?

Azurel
12/11/2003, 09:02 AM
Yea thats yumas they have...

lacie143
12/12/2003, 04:00 PM
I have a redish yuma, i am pretty sure its a yuma anyway... and i found it in my works coral tank> i didnt know it was a yuma until now. Also, rose anenomes still go for 200 here

millisec
12/15/2003, 08:33 PM
Its hit or miss on LFS's and prices... I bought two of these Yuma rocks at $40 each. One had 12 and the other 7 + 1 other dark green color. With Yuma oranges I got a single polyp for $15 locally and paid probably $35 for one I got online. Some online places are just trying to make a living and others are really milking it. Florida's I can get as cheap as $10 per polyp and I'll go a bit higher for real finds. Dr Mac has some real nice Florida's but his $14-$38 per polyp is a bit much even for my tastes. You just gotta shop around and sometimes price just does not matter when you really want something.

Just my .02 but MO is that "rare" items are rare for a reason. Because few can keep them alive. And consequently the more you pay the more likely it is to die. I have close to 100 ricordia Yuma & Florida and of course the only one I ever lost was my pink Yuma. And just recently the one baby I had just popped off the rock and disappeared probably for good. From my readings that seems to be the norm fate for pink/red Yuma's. Not once have I seen a colony of them someone was able to cultivate. I have some nice Yuma's but I too am starting to like Floridas much more as more exotic colors appear.

http://mysite.verizon.net/millisec99/r21.jpg

Dr. Mac
12/16/2003, 12:23 PM
millisec,
Point of clarification, the price of my Ricordea are $11 each (9 for $99 package). I get 200-500 Ricordea at a time and sometimes there are a few odd "Rare" colors and these are priced individually and pics posted. I get Oranges, Greens, and Blues and these are very nice and part of the package. The odd color ones may be other colors or odd combinations and priced accordingly, considering the few that are available in these rare colors the pricing is not unreasonable.
Thanks, Mac

millisec
12/16/2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Mac
millisec,
Point of clarification, the price of my Ricordea are $11 each (9 for $99 package). I get 200-500 Ricordea at a time and sometimes there are a few odd "Rare" colors and these are priced individually and pics posted. I get Oranges, Greens, and Blues and these are very nice and part of the package. The odd color ones may be other colors or odd combinations and priced accordingly, considering the few that are available in these rare colors the pricing is not unreasonable.
Thanks, Mac

Let me clarify... I was not referring to anything in your 9 for $99 special. I bought one from you and the sizes and colors were mediocre at best and in retrospect I regret the purchase. I'm not going to pick a fight here but I'm going to say I've got more than a few of your rare/special colors elsewhere at a fraction of what you are charging like $10 each for the aqua blues you were charging $28 a polyp for. Likewise for the dark blues, pinks and many of your oranges($10-$15 per). I like a lot of what you have and would pay the price for some of it but you seem more inclined to put an unreasonable premium on stuff most would consider more common. When much smaller vendors, with far less buying power, than you can sell much of what you have for far less it makes me wonder (and not order).

wizardgus®
12/16/2003, 04:28 PM
As long as we're clarifying Mr. Milisec, could you identify the source for your information that these premiums are unreasonable or did you intend to include IMO?

And by "most would consider" have you really undertaken a poll? Would this be most reefers, most US citizens or most humans? Or most people sitting at your keyboard?

Your information re: smaller vendors with less buying power intrigues me. Could you provide details?

Thanks.

Dr. Mac
12/16/2003, 04:45 PM
millisec,
Sorry you were dissatisfied with you purchase, wish you would have contacted me directly to discuss, I don't recall you calling me about any problems. I try my best to satisfy every customer and appreciate the opportunity to correct any problems when they occur. I think the Ricordeas I sell are very nice and I get a few of odd colors and these are priced accordingly. Good luck in your purchases, and if you would like to call me to discuss your order I would appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
Thanks, Mac

REEFnR6
12/16/2003, 04:47 PM
millisec- IMO you should have stated that your statement was just your opinion. Just my $.02.

millisec
12/16/2003, 05:40 PM
millisec,
Sorry you were dissatisfied with you purchase, wish you would have contacted me directly to discuss, I don't recall you calling me about any problems. I try my best to satisfy every customer and appreciate the opportunity to correct any problems when they occur. I think the Ricordeas I sell are very nice and I get a few of odd colors and these are priced accordingly. Good luck in your purchases, and if you would like to call me to discuss your order I would appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
Thanks, Mac

Frankly it was a live and learn experience and I did not complain about that order. I do recall major problems with another order
that was asked about in writing to no resolve. Despite some problems you are still much better than a lot of vendors and still on my shopping list. If you want to resolve any issues and serve your customers then respond to my previous email in writing. A phone call does not suffice. And BTW I think I said more than once you do have some nice ricordias. This was not about bashing you either. You basically responded that your stuff is fairly priced and I disagreed.

millisec
12/16/2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by wizardgus
As long as we're clarifying Mr. Milisec, could you identify the source for your information that these premiums are unreasonable or did you intend to include IMO?

And by "most would consider" have you really undertaken a poll? Would this be most reefers, most US citizens or most humans? Or most people sitting at your keyboard?

Your information re: smaller vendors with less buying power intrigues me. Could you provide details?

Thanks.

You know from my surfing here it's long been apparent the only time you join in a conversation is when you see an opportunity to be condescending, sarcastic and antagonistic. I have nothing to say to you now or ever unless you want to accuse me of breaking some RC rule. Now if you will excuse me I'm off to Blowfish and Eastcoastclams to shop for some nice reasonably priced ricordia's since they just got new shipments in. You know some of those smaller vendors that so intrigue you.

wizardgus®
12/16/2003, 07:05 PM
Well now, I think I see how much weight your proclamations carry. You have been here, what, almost 3 months. And you have reviewed all my posts and find that I am condescending, sarcastic and antagonistic in all of them? I think not. I see someone who has a very high opinion of themselves and a rather distorted understanding of their place within this community. I'll stand by my post history. I've been reviewing yours...care to compare?

Wilafur
12/16/2003, 07:10 PM
the bottomline is buy from whoever you want want to buy from.

millisec - i find it to be unfair that you bash a vendor due to their pricing.....its is not as if the vendor is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy xxx coral for xxx dollars. if a person is willing to pay more for a speciman, so be it. reading through this thread and the other one in the zoo forum, it seems like you like to "stick it" to vendors based on their pricing structure or what you hear (*unreliable*) and not what you have experienced firsthand. what gives?

i shop around a lot online for goodies for my tank. if a vendor has a good price, i will buy the coral, if i think it is too high, i skip them and move on to the next vendor. hell, if i really want an item, i will pay considerably more to acquire it. acquiring corals is like acquiring fine wines, you never know if you will have the opportunity to acquire another one like it again. its as simple as that......why are you so insistant on coming back to a public forum to whine and slam xxx vendor whom you think they are charging a high price because you happened to chance upon a similar item cheaper elsewhere? to me that is unfair and to an extent, slanderous.

there will always be discrepancies in prices according to the rarity of an item. that is the name of the game. do you really expect to pay the price of a standard Robert Mondavi cabernet for a bottle of Ch Lafite Rothschild '00 Pauillac?

oh wizardgus, i think millisec is taking about economy of scale. kind of along the lines of walmart vs mom & pop shops. makes sense to me. :)

millisec
12/16/2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Wilafur
the bottomline is buy from whoever you want want to buy from.

millisec - i find it to be unfair that you bash a vendor due to their pricing.....its is not as if the vendor is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy xxx coral for xxx dollars. if a person is willing to pay more for a speciman, so be it. reading through this thread and the other one in the zoo forum, it seems like you like to "stick it" to vendors based on their pricing structure or what you hear (*unreliable*) and not what you have experienced firsthand. what gives?

i shop around a lot online for goodies for my tank. if a vendor has a good price, i will buy the coral, if i think it is too high, i skip them and move on to the next vendor. hell, if i really want an item, i will pay considerably more to acquire it. acquiring corals is like acquiring fine wines, you never know if you will have the opportunity to acquire another one like it again. its as simple as that......why are you so insistant on coming back to a public forum to whine and slam xxx vendor whom you think they are charging a high price because you happened to chance upon a similar item cheaper elsewhere? to me that is unfair and to an extent, slanderous.

there will always be discrepancies in prices according to the rarity of an item. that is the name of the game. do you really expect to pay the price of a standard Robert Mondavi cabernet for a bottle of Ch Lafite Rothschild '00 Pauillac?

oh wizardgus, i think millisec is taking about economy of scale. kind of along the lines of walmart vs mom & pop shops. makes sense to me. :)

I was not bashing anyone... merely commenting on prices and I have ordered from Dr Mac on several occasions. Stating ones opinion that someone is pricey (while at the same time commenting on the nice stuff) is hardly bashing. I think you will find credit is given where due in terms of vendors like Blowfish, ECC, Aquadesignz, logicalreef and others (and I have purchased from them all). And of course Dr Mac has recieved more than one recommendation from me. As for the zoo crowd... yes we all share info and when someone asks about a particular vendor they get pointed to the info good or bad. I've been at this for 14 years and have purchased online from more than a few vendors good and bad. I think the purchase of 80+ zoo colonies & frags along with close to 100 ricordia's in the last 6 months alone makes me a pretty well educated consumer and I won't be shy about sharing the experiences.

And actually the situation is quite the reverse of your comment. Its more like the mom and pop shops are cheaper than Walmart.

Dr. Mac
12/16/2003, 08:56 PM
millisec,
You mention now that you had a major problem with another order and I did not respond to you, I am totally clueless on this comment. I would appreciate you calling me to discuss the matter. I am unaware of any unresolved issue with you or any customer and as I do not know who you are based on your screen name here I can not resolve the issue. If you had a "major problem" you should have called me and I would certainly have resolved it, I always do when I know of any problems, minor or major.

Happy Holidays to you and all !!
Thanks, Mac

SaltyDogg
12/16/2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by srfmon
Bingo, my thoughts exactly. I even like the floridas better. :p
I'd compare this to the tear drop maximas - they are absolutely beautiful clams but at an average price of $350......I'll just have to admire them at the LFS's tanks.

Everyone has there own opinion thats for sure.... I have to say that some of the yuma's are really awesome. This is my favorite one at the present time that I have in my tank....

http://www.finns.biz/bryan/ricordiayumaf.jpg

millisec
12/16/2003, 11:12 PM
millisec,
You mention now that you had a major problem with another order and I did not respond to you, I am totally clueless on this comment. I would appreciate you calling me to discuss the matter. I am unaware of any unresolved issue with you or any customer and as I do not know who you are based on your screen name here I can not resolve the issue. If you had a "major problem" you should have called me and I would certainly have resolved it, I always do when I know of any problems, minor or major.

Happy Holidays to you and all !!
Thanks, Mac

Thanks for the service and clearing up the outstanding issue. I think if you read my original post it was never the intention for things to degenerate as they did.

zooqi
12/17/2003, 01:34 AM
SaltyDogg: is this is the red that everybody is been talking about ? I do have this color but when I hear red I think of red like blood. I got the once like that. I also hear about blue zo's and seen many of blue's and still don't think they are what everybody talks about.

millisec
12/17/2003, 06:13 AM
Oh theres some pretty incredible blues Mo aside from the typical pale blue stuff. I have some awesome blueberries with pink mouths and heres a pic of what I picked up tonight (like you I never sleep) with a couple blues including dark & tricolor. Only bad thing about most blues is they don't flouresce under actinic. Like I was trying to say before it pays to shop around. All these averaged about $11-12 per polyp (based on rough polyp count). These are from one of my favorite zoo vendors who has just made the jump into ricordias. From Bryan at www.thelogicalreef.com and while I'm at it have a look at the blueberries from ECC at $10 per polyp.

http://mysite.verizon.net/millisec99/rics.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/millisec99/r37.jpg

Two eye hooter
12/23/2003, 09:57 PM
REEFnR6,

luckily for me, yumas are very common at almost any LFS here in the LA area. Unfortunately almost 95% of the time, they are green or shades of green. Out here, prices range from $15 for rock to $150 for single polyp. Common green rocks are about $15-$40. The rarer colors like pinks, yellows, and other uncommon colors/combinations typically sell for $40-$150/polyp. Just came back from a LSF that had a tri-color (how it was labeled) orange/red with some green yuma for $140 per polyp.

REEFnR6
12/31/2003, 04:18 PM
Thanks 2E, now I dont feel so bad. I'm still not paying that much though. I'll stick to trading on RC until prices come down.