PDA

View Full Version : BTA feeding ?s

charley75
11/07/2003, 01:44 PM
I put a BTA in my tank on Tues. It found a spot that it likes and opened up well within the next day and looks great now. My clowns of course could care less......not that it matters to me....who knows maybe they will eventually. I tried giving it some krill a couple times with no success. At what point should I be concerned about this?
Charley

aquaprop1
11/07/2003, 02:15 PM
But I bet it would happily take some silversides or more likely frozen mysis shrimp right away! Frozen krill has never been a fav of any of my anemones from carpets to BTA's

dennis_said
11/07/2003, 02:56 PM
I feed mine shrimp... just a small portion of the ones you buy at the super market, it loves it... or so I think, haha

mhurley
11/07/2003, 03:13 PM
my RBTA takes frozen krill.

aquaman67
11/07/2003, 03:22 PM
I feed my BTA frozen squid cubes. If you can find some, it might be worth a try.

charley75
11/07/2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the input....better safe than sorry I guess. When you offer it food where exactly do you place it. Also, what's the suggested feeding regiment?.....I was told twice a week would be fine.
Charley

Blindmelonbob
11/07/2003, 04:22 PM
Tagging here...mine doesn't like dried krill.

PANZER_TANK
11/07/2003, 08:07 PM
I was told Frozen formula One works wonders....Once a Week..

hth rene

Jaebster
11/07/2003, 08:31 PM
This is what I've noticed with my (now multiple) BTAs.
When I feed them, They grow really fast and possiblilty of splitting is increased!
When I feed them, they start to lose the BTs. Only after about 3 months of not feeding did the BTs SLOWLY reappear!
I don't know if the disappearance and reappearance of the BTs are directly tied to feeding and nutrition, but nevertheless, I do not feed the BTAs anymore. However, once in a while, I allow the clown to grab a huge piece of food and rub it against the tentacles (passive feeding).

ShipMate
11/07/2003, 08:48 PM
I give mine pieces of primereef cubes or frozen mysis soaked in selcon about twice a week. It keeps getting larger, and hungrier. My cat is now hiding...

Desolas
11/07/2003, 10:58 PM
I've read in the wild they will eat inverts (shrimp, etc) as juveniles, and will move to fish as adults.

I've always had luck feeding mine whole SW fish. Mostly Silversides, but also Damsels, Cardinals, etc.

DerekW
11/08/2003, 12:08 AM
MY bta is now about 8" across and growing, it was about 3"
I feed 1, 2 or 3 times a week, depending on when I think about it.
When I got it 8 or 9 months ago, I started by feeding it 1/3 of a (previously) frozen uncooked shrimp, the big tiger shrimp you buy at the grocery store. After a couple months I went to 1/2 a shrimp, now I feed it the whole dang thing! Probably average 2 a week, wouldn't mind a split or 2 from it.
The best thing was when I picked up a tank-raised maroon clown, it was tiny, 3/4" maybe, I put it in the tank, right beside the anemone, and BOOM, she went right in and made herself at home. It was cool. I am going to wait at least another 6 months, and put another one in. I want her to be 3 times the size of the mate I put in

Anemonebuff
11/08/2003, 12:14 AM
Any kind of meaty fare will do. Try any of them, they'll let you know if they like them.

charley75
11/08/2003, 12:09 PM
What about feeding method....where to place the food and with what????
Thanks,
Charley

DerekW
11/08/2003, 04:46 PM
I just use my hand, and as long as it's generally near the tentacles, it grabs it and pulls it in. If it is not eating yet, you can put it right near the middle where the mouth is.

stagefright13
11/08/2003, 05:23 PM
I feed mine shrimp and mussels from the grocery. I chopped them up real small and mixed them in a tupperware and froze it into a block. I break off a peice and defrost what I need. If ya turn off the powerheads for a second you can usually drop it straight in without it floating away. I feed twice a week and mine is nearly twice as big after 3 months. I read they only have the bubble tips when moved or stressed... Dunno for sure.