PDA

View Full Version : Tank backround

JHFerry
07/17/2000, 09:29 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank. Usually with smaller tanks you could just go to the LFS and buy the paper backround for the tank but I cant find any that big. Do you guys paint yours? If so, with what?

ATJ
07/17/2000, 09:35 PM
I don't like to do anything "permanent" so I don't paint the backs of my tanks. Others do.

I cut a piece of plywood the size of the tank and paint it with a good plastic paint. I get little or no salt creep and I can change the colour very easily if I wish.

------------------
ATJ
http://atj777.tripod.com/

Joez
07/17/2000, 09:40 PM
The paper comes in rolls (12", 18", 24" high). You should be able to get it from an LFS (they normally have it on paper towel-like holders); if not, you can mail order it from Pet Warehouse, etc. (by the foot). I used this stuff for my 135.

CleveYank
07/17/2000, 09:50 PM
I bought 2 18inch by 48 inch peices and taped them together for my 90.

Also lose the plywood idea.
Get a thin piece of blue acrylic and cut it to fit. You can velcro it into place so that you can clean the glass or whatever may arise. I haven't gotten around to this one but I have seen that it works rather well on a fellow reefers tank. The plywood will just warp unless it is real thick and then there are problems with spacing and all. When the acrylic gets salty just rinse wipe and go. The paint Idea can end up a flakey situation. No matter how how hard you try unless you use like industrial marine epoxy the stuff will chip and then there is the whole touch up bit. And if you sell it the next person may not want your tank because of the painted background.

Joez
07/17/2000, 10:03 PM
Nice idea Cleve, but why go to the trouble?

If a person gets some of the paper (less than $10 for that size tank), it looks fine. Besides, the coralline algae will cover the back of the tank in time.

ATJ
07/17/2000, 10:18 PM
mmm, I've been using the same piece of plywood behind my 170 gallon (6'x30") for 10 years. It hasn't warped yet.

------------------
ATJ
http://atj777.tripod.com/

AkaSlyGuy
07/18/2000, 12:55 AM
Call me simple, but I just used a big black plastic trash sack :)
Taped it down, and have not had a problem since.

Joe

CleveYank
07/18/2000, 02:16 AM
he he he he
ah yes the black garbage bag duct taped to the back of the tank.
I had a 29 some time back that was setup with that background. I went to the blue backgrounds so lost the bag look. But yes simple and cheap.....but where do you get blue ones?

Well over flow that tank a couple times or have some unforseen leak or whatever and your plywood MIGHT change. But yes I'm sure there are some out there who have used plywood for years. The acrylic requires only that you measure it to fit the tank and attach it. The plywood route. Ok well unless you want it to look like cr@pola you have to cut it, sand it, wet sand it, paint it, seal it, and then attach it to the tank. I'd rather just measure twice cut once and put salt proof, light-weight acrylic behind there and be done with it.

chris
07/18/2000, 06:54 AM
Hello JH,

Here is a different approach for you. I had a mirror cut to fit the back of my tank and I siliconed it around the edges with clear silicone.

It makes the tank look much deeper and allows you to see behind your rock some.

The only drawback is that you have to keep the back of your tank clean.

c

dragon0121
07/18/2000, 06:57 AM
I've got a 180, and I found the 24" roll at the LFS, is black on one side and a royal blue on the other. Choices! :) I went with the black on this tank, had the royal blue on the last and didn't care for it much.

:D

bmw
07/18/2000, 07:19 AM
You can buy plastic panals for flour.ceiling lights that are 2 x 4 and come in a variety of textures. Paint it whatever color. They are only about 1/8in thick so easy to hang on back of the tank. I like the 3d texture look better than painting or anything I could find pre made.
b.

Agu
07/18/2000, 08:23 AM
Dark window tint works for me. It seals to the glass so salt creep can't get behind it, doesn't look so dark, gives an illusion of depth, and can easily be removed if necessary. Agu

Joez
07/18/2000, 08:53 AM
If you haven't noticed yet JHFerry, there are many ways to do this and practically everything else in a reef tank. Often the different ways are just as good as one another, not wrong and right.

If they put us on a desert island like in that Survivor show, we'd think of a million ways to catch fish and solve other problems.

JHFerry
07/18/2000, 10:08 AM
Wow,

I had no idea about most of these. I have searched high and low at my LFS for rolls of 24" paper. I am going to a pearl arts and craft store to look for something.

TangHeaven
07/18/2000, 10:14 AM
I couldn't decide if I wanted a back on my 120 gallon tank. So I decided to go very cheap. I purchased a dark blue wrapping paper. It fit the tank just right. I love the color, makes the tank look very deep. I have had it on now for about 2 months and haven't had to change it yet...but if I do, it was only $2.99

------------------
Learn by experience-preferably other people's

Tami :)

NorthCoast
07/18/2000, 10:33 AM
I used black mylar. Just cut to fit and silicone on outside at the corners. I also put a fine bead of silicone along the top edge to stop any drips between the tank and mylar.

Simple, water resistant, cheap and removable!

NorthCoast

Fishwife
07/18/2000, 05:12 PM
I siliconed the roll stuff to the back of my tank, but, guess what? After about 6 months it don't really matta a'tall. I've got so much algae, both green and coralline back there, it's like - background, what background! I couldn't tell you if it was black, blue or purple anymore. :D

Using silicone instead of tape really stops the drips though.

------------------
Fishwife

Ouch, what's that burning sensation in my finger tips? Is it nematocysts? Is it electricity? NOOO! It's...PAPERCUTS!!!