PDA

View Full Version : can pictures be posted without using a digital camera?

cloak
06/17/2001, 11:26 PM
How would I go about this? I really want to get some pics up but I can't afford a digital camera right now. Any information on how to go about doing this would be great. One more thing,,,, I'm completely computer illiterate so bear with me...

Thank you.

orion25
06/17/2001, 11:32 PM
If you have a scanner you can. Have film pics developed then scan them. Save to your hard drive and post them. If no scanner then you can have film pics developed onto a CD. copy pics to your HD then post.

There may be other ways but I do not know of them.

HTH,
Ryan

ChrisIsBored
06/17/2001, 11:33 PM
Some stores now offer a selection when you take your photo's in for them to put them all on a CD which i'm guessing puts them all into .jpg format(don't know what they use because i've never done it, but .jpg is a standard)

You can try that, or go buy yourself a good scanner and when you get your photos back, place them in there and upload to a server online.

;)

EDIT: Doh! Orion25 beat me to it.

nitritetest
06/17/2001, 11:42 PM
You need to get your pictures converted to a digital format somehow. It doesn't matter if tehy are taken on a digital camera (thus they would be in digital format) or if they are taken with a normal camera, developed, and then turned into digital images by scanning them with a scanner.

If you don't know what a scanner is, you can think of it as a digital camera. You put a normal picture into it, it takes a picture of the picture, and saves that as a digital image.

I don't know what stores are like where you live, but places like Walmart, or Kodak picture development stores, or other photo stores sometimes have kiosks set up where you can scan your own pictures. They charge you like a vending machine, you put your money in, or pay a clerk, and put your pictures in and follow instructions, and save them on a disk.

Or...the best thing to do, is to find someone where you work who knows about scanning pictures, and ask them to do it for you. If they own a scanner, it shouldn't be a problem if you know them. It doesn't cost anything to actually scan a picture.

Then you have to post it. That's probably where you'll have problems. You need to upload the pictures to a website on the internet somewhere, and then provide a link in your post to the pictures. There are alot of websites that will give you space for free to upload your pictures to, so it shouldn't cost you anything to do that. It's just a matter of how.

I suggest you get the pictures you want to be displayed converted to a digital format first, preferably one jalled JPEG, (or JPG - same thing slightly different abbreviation). Then, ask again at that time if you don't know how to post your pictures on the internet.

cloak
06/17/2001, 11:53 PM
You people are QUICK....... Thank you.

I'm going to print these responses so I can take this and my pictures to costco or longs and see what kind of feedback they give me on all of this.

Thanks again for the direction....>