PDA

View Full Version : New pics of Carlos, therman & MrSandman....

Skipper
06/17/2001, 10:23 PM
Guess which is which.......

http://members.home.com/mrsandman2k2/barnacleblennie.jpg

dc
06/17/2001, 10:41 PM
:D Well I hate the poll feature, but hey those guys are cute!

Blithe
06/17/2001, 11:46 PM
Skipper, What are those little guys?

Skipper
06/18/2001, 06:22 AM
I don't really know! All I can say is that they are a tiny blenny that live in barnacles. They belong to MrSandman. They sure are cute buggers, eh? Maybe he could shed some more light on them....

johnny
06/18/2001, 08:03 AM
That's the gobicus articus.... a multi headed goby that as a juvenile hides in barnacles such as the ones shown. Then as it ages, it grows more and more heads until all the exits are full and it uses the barnacles kinda like a turtle uses its shell.....

or something like that .... ;)

Nick

yanasina
06/18/2001, 09:35 AM
Now that's an advertisement for reef keeping if I ever saw one. This gets my vote for favorite picture so far.

saltshop
06/18/2001, 01:29 PM
Is it just me or does Therman look like Tom Green? :D

MrSandman
06/18/2001, 02:46 PM
These guys are cool!! You should see them when they eat. They are fast little lightning bolts that dart in and out of their barnacle. I picked these guys up from Jeff's Exotic Fish on Friday when i went there with Los and therman who were visiting from out of state. I believe they are called "barnacle blennies" from the Galapagos area. I do not know their scientific name, but i'll find out soon since i sent Jeff an email about them. Los got one barnacle blenny for himself as well. Got one hell of a deal on these too.... :D . These guys pretty much stay in their barnacle 24/7 and only come out to eat. They are bold aggressive little eaters! I'd be scared to put my hand in there with food in it. If anyone wants to see it, i can take a video of them eating.

jimhobbs
06/18/2001, 05:19 PM
OK
If I gotta ask...
Video those, please!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Q-ball
06/18/2001, 05:41 PM
Hey, how big do these guys get? If not real big, I think one would look really neat in my 7g at work:D If they do get big, well, I got room in the 65g yet;) Cool fish!

Q!!!

Bubafat
06/18/2001, 09:39 PM
Just look for the one with the shriviled arm!

Buba

Blithe
06/18/2001, 09:47 PM
Sandman, do you know if Jeff's carry these on a regular basis? I see he has some now, but I'm not ready to buy. I think you've started a new trend!

MrSandman
06/18/2001, 11:09 PM
Q,
I believe the "therman" species gets the largest. He does require some extra attention though. Just give him a dog and that should keep him busy for a while. The "carlos" species, on the other hand, has different requirements. He will do just great anywhere in the tank, but he MUST be placed near CLAMS. CLAMS are a must for the "carlos" species. The "MrSandman" species....well...he's rare and only one of a kind. :D hahahaha!!! They should do just fine in your nano. Make sure they have lots of zooplankton to eat.

Blithe,
I have seen these guys at Jeff's before but i never really paid any attention to them until Los and Tim pointed them out. I don't know if he has any at this moment unless he got some new ones in recently. Los and I took the last ones on Friday.

By the way..here is a quick video i just took of them during feeding time. They do have a tendency to play musical "barnacles". Fast little boogers aren't they?

The 3 Stooges In Action (http://members.home.com/mrsandman2k2/3stooges.mpg)

jimhobbs
06/19/2001, 05:25 AM
Excellent! :)

jameso
06/19/2001, 09:11 AM
About time someone started collecting these!

When I was diving in Costa Rica (Pacific side) in '99 I saw about 1 million of these on one rock while I was doing a safety stop. The rock was covered with barnacles, and I swear, the rock looked like it was alive!

The colors of the different blennies were amazing too! Some were pink and green even. Wish I had a picture.

Cheers
James

Q-ball
06/19/2001, 09:36 AM
So, would they do well on a good mix of 4 different quality flake foods? I may just be ordering one of these lil buggers today, I think they're exactly what I've been looking for in my 7g nano:D & hey, if he turns out too big then darnit I'll just have to take him home for my 65g!:D:D:D I can't tell from the video, how big are these guys anyhow?

Q!!!

signu459
06/19/2001, 10:41 AM
Boy those little bugger are cool as ...... well you get the idea.

I always new that Carlos and Therman were quicker than a whip and that you had to watch your wallets around them, but I had no Idea you were like that MrSandman.

maybe we should rename them to Flash, Speedy and Lightning.

lori344
06/19/2001, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Bubafat
Just look for the one with the shriviled arm!

Buba

he he Buba... stole the words right out of my mouth!! And, how do you suppose he got the dog in that little hole?? :D
Roman, where are all the other pics of the weekend?? I wanna see all the fun I missed, while I was stuck in the bay area working!!
~lori

Carlos
06/19/2001, 08:29 PM
mmmmmmhhhhhhhh, CLAMS!!!!:D

MrSandman
06/19/2001, 08:43 PM
Q,
I have yet to try feeding them flakes. So far i have fed them frozen prime reef and brine shrimp and they gobble it up fast. I'm pretty sure that they will eat anything floating in the water column. They go after anything that floats near them. As for their size, they are about 1.5 inches in length with a head about the diameter of an average pencil. You should talk to Los about these guys. He also has one and might be putting it in his nanoreef too. How is yours doing Los?

JeremyR
07/25/2001, 04:53 PM
If you believe burgess, they are Acanthemblemaria sp... if you look them up, you'll see that there are several species that are similar, in case any of you are still curious.. if someone replied with the scientific and I missed it, sorry.
:)