PDA

View Full Version : Critter ID please? :)

stagefright13
11/03/2003, 10:39 PM
In this pic I finally got a picture of that weird slug he is the white thing just to the left of the anemone. He is making the anemone shrink up cause he is too close. Also in the same pic in the hole in the rock looks like a clam but he is alive cause I seen him open and close. Are they ok to have? Also as if that wasn't enough what do you think those white tube things are. I had them before but they died off now they are coming back.

Phrogg
11/03/2003, 10:50 PM
I tried to zoom in on the pic, but it's pretty pixelated. Can you get a cleaner or zoomed in shot?

stagefright13
11/03/2003, 10:55 PM
I had to reduce the pic to 35% because of the file size limitation

Phrogg
11/03/2003, 10:59 PM
email me the larger version, I'll take a look.

Bolo
11/03/2003, 11:19 PM
The slug looks like a stomavaraellius (sp.), harmless slug from Indo. waters. The clam looks lie the shells that come with the Fiji LR I have, so I assume it is ok too.

Phrogg
11/03/2003, 11:27 PM
No offense Bolo, but often it takes a close up head shot to get a good ID on a slug or snail and the compression on that photo makes any real ID of patterns, shell size(existence), of even which side is even the head.

I'm afraid that any ID from that photo would be not much better than a guess.

I will agree with Bolo on the clam. I haven't seen or heard of too many bad clams that don't have odd appendages or lures to attract prey. You would notice either of these I imagine.

stagefright13
11/05/2003, 04:59 PM
Well my cable went down for a while here is another pic that I cropped alot so I wouldn't have to resize so much. And thank!! Also those white tube thing. I saw them a couple monyhs ago but they dissapeared but are coming back again...

Phrogg
11/05/2003, 05:45 PM
The white lil guys look to me to be calcerous sponges. If so, its a good sign of a healthy tank that they are reproducing.

As for the slimy guy, I can make out what appears to be a foot that appears to be wider and longer than what appears to be a shell. That rules it down to...say...a couple of hundred thousand snails(if it is a shell). :D Sorry, any chance of you sending me the original?

stagefright13
11/05/2003, 06:12 PM
I don't know how to email you but he just looks like a slug. What appears to be a shell or "Hat" is just sluglike if there is such a word. don't look like he has a shell at all.