PDA

View Full Version : green star polyp questions

meekel
11/01/2003, 10:39 AM
hi, i just recently (two weeks ago) took my first dive into coral and purchased a piece of rock with green star polyps attached. after a couple of hours on the fist day they came out and looked real good, however i've been told and also read that they grow quite rapidly and are very hardy... my questions are.....so far they only seem to be growing "up" not "out" and they dont look as full anymore i tried to feed them w/ a syringe close up but it looked like it almost turned black and went in..is this normal? and the rock that it is attached to does not sit flat on the live rock that i placed it on, does this matter or should i find a new location...also i placed a powerhead with the flow almost directly on it it flows around pretty good at some times but is not always overtaken with the flow, i read that flow helps stimulate groth.........I know this is alot but any held would be greatly appreciated.......thanks!!

sambryce
11/01/2003, 03:08 PM
GSP are almost impossible to kill. If your tank parameters are in check, they will be just fine. You don't need to feed GSP. It may take a few weeks for them to get used to your tank and open up all the time. Given time, they will take over your tank. I've heard if you place them on a rock which is surrounded by sand that will keep them from spreading throughout your whole tank.

TippyToeX
11/01/2003, 03:32 PM
They probably retracted because of the change in flow. GSP can be testy and stay closed up for weeks becuase of little changes. Too much linear flow can keep them closed up. I would change your flow to a random yet turbulent sort. IME that is what they do best under.

It does not matter the shape of the rock they are on. They have a thick matt that will grow over most anything. Just give them good lighting, the flow mentioned above. Steady pH, Alk, & Ca and in time they will grow. They are very new to your tank and need time to adjust before they can take off and grow.

Do post your test resluts and lighting as well. :)

car
11/02/2003, 02:08 PM
be patient mine took a couple of months and now i have about 6 big mats growing on the lr and even up the back glass this stuff is a weed

phdezra
11/02/2003, 03:54 PM
A couple of weeks is nothing... Give it time.

I have found that GSPs like good water flow, but NOT directly on them all the time. I have 6 MJ 1200s in my 135 gallon hooked up to a Red Sea Wavemaster. The alternating currents sometimes "blow" on the GSPs. THey seem to love it. Takes at least 1 month before they get settled in and abotu two months before they truly start expanding nicely. Give it time. They will grow. :)

Below is mine... Although since I took this picture, two weeks ago, it ha salready spread...
http://www.rosensaft.com/135/dscf1616.jpg