PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these skimmers?

Amanda
06/14/2001, 01:48 PM
I found 3 skimmers on premium aquatics in my price range.
one was the CPR SR4 skimmer w/rio 1700 pump, the other was the E TSS Super reef devil skimmer, and the other was the RedSea Berlin Skimmer and pump.
I plan on having a 90 gallon with the skimmer in the sump.
Will either of these work and does anyone have any experience with them?

TIA
Amanda:p

Aeonreef
06/14/2001, 02:13 PM
I like my SR4 i have used it on and off for about 3 years, I replaced the rio with a mag 7 and works much better.

reefaddict
06/14/2001, 02:18 PM
Amanda,

Don't know much about the CPR skimmers...

The Red Sea berlin are OK

The ETSS are very good skimmers.

you can see some prices here (http://www.atlantisaquatic.com/ets_skimmer.html) here (http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=etss) and here (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PA&Category_Code=ETS)

Neal358
06/14/2001, 02:26 PM
personaly for that price reange i would go with the turbo flotor i thinks ots better then the cpr and is kust as good as the reef devil but not as dificalt to set in as the reef devil thats the only complaint that i have herd of from reef devil users

Mark
06/14/2001, 02:27 PM
From the list you have, I gather that your budget is below $200? If so, also be sure to check out the turbofloater. It uses a needle wheel aspirator to make fine bubbles. They do a really good job.

Agu
06/14/2001, 02:30 PM
I'm using a cpr sr6 and it's mediocre at best. When the rio 2100 was switched out for a mag 950 and maxijet venturi it worked better, when it worked at all. The maxi venturi plugs up really easily and needs to be removed and cleaned evert other day:mad:. It appears to really be sensitive to food or hands in the water and stops skimming for a few hours after the water is disturbed.:mad: :mad:

If my next diy venturi doesn't work I'm considering replacing it. The etss is at the top of my current list, I already have a beckett injector to replace the stock injector if I get one. ( I sound like some kind of gearhead ;))

fwiw,hth,

Agu

Amanda
06/14/2001, 02:42 PM
Do you have a place where i could look at these online, I havent seen those yet, of course, I may have overlooked them :D

Mark
06/14/2001, 02:48 PM
Sure!:)

Marine Depot at http://www.marinedepot.com has them onsale for $157. I recommend paying the extra $7 for the model that comes with the UL listed Rio pump. The old Rio's had lots of problems(just do a search here and read all about it). The new Rio pumps that are UL listed addressed and fixed those issues.

Mark
06/14/2001, 02:51 PM
One thing to keep in mind though, the turbofloaters require a feed pump in addition to the needlewheel pump provided. So be sure to price in a small powerhead to feed the skimmer. The Rio is mainly to recirculate and produce bubbles. HTH.

Cookoopod
06/14/2001, 03:07 PM
Of the three you mentioned, I'd go for the ETSS. If it's cost your concerned about, I agree that the Aquat Medic T1000 is a great buy for the money. I've had it and it does the job extremely well. Although I have the ETSS and like the ETSS better. (Costs more though)

David Corbett
06/14/2001, 03:37 PM
As far as type of skimmer I will always choose needle wheel technology over ventura or downdraft systems. My personal favorite is DAS but that is out of your range, about as cheap as you might find one is 300. The turbofloater would also be a good choice though. DOC

FishBait
06/14/2001, 06:18 PM
Go turbo...go turbo...go...go...go turbo (floater that is) :D I have one on my 90gal FOWLR tank and it kicks butt!! If you don't want to use another pump to feed it, u can plumb it to your overflow, that's how I did it. That way all of that surface skum goes directly into the skimmer.

crash
06/14/2001, 07:45 PM
Amanda,
I have a etss super reef devil it is garbage imo.
I did alot of reseach after that purchase, I heard
good things plus bad about turbo flotor
I heard all good things about aqua c products

Neal358
06/14/2001, 11:46 PM
if you can spend 2$50 you can get the turbo flotor multie it can be insump or hang on. it has no rio pumps and uses only one german made pump and is just as good