PDA

View Full Version : I have seen the light!

Paul-sn
10/28/2003, 09:52 PM
I haven't really been posting in a while because now that I've started school... I'm kinda swamped with work and evil evil midterms...
But, towards the end of the summer, I kept talking about how my lousy 20 gallon tank (covered in hair algae) would be moving to a 30 gallon tank with refugium and a halide bulb.

Well, it's happened at last!
I managed to rip off most of the hair algae before transferring my corals and rocks to the bigger tank, so it didn't even look that bad right from the start. The refugium has just been running a few days, so it's too early to see if it will have any effect. I need to put more rocks and algae in there too.
The halide is a 10K Ushio, which I like a lot, but I miss the fluorescent action of actinics. I'm going to be putting two actinic bulbs back in actually, because of that.

So far, so good! Halide lighting is incredible! I love it! All the corals open up a million times more than before!

The only bad thing is the guy from which I get my livestock. He doesn't use anything but NO bulbs, but his corals and tanks are truly stunning. Really, really beautiful.
Unfortunately, he thinks halides are the enemy, and tried talking me out of getting pretty much anything in his store because he told me they would all melt! I wasn't too impressed about that. He seems to think the only thing that can withstand halide light is Acropora and such...
From what I've read from countless people here though, almost anything placed under halides (if given time to adjust correctly) will do just fine under them. Probably better than under NO bulbs for most.

Just thought I'd share. I've been waiting to do this for a while, so I'm glad to finally have it done. I'll keep everyone posted as to how well the fuge works. I know I was looking for info about that particular subject before I decided to go for it, so I'll be glad to share with anyone who wants to know more about it!

Well, lastly, thanks to anyone I ever got any info from! You all made this really easy!