PDA

View Full Version : submarine

roenee
06/13/2001, 04:47 PM
anybody know where i can buy a r/c submarine for my saltwater tank? or anybody selling one?
thanks
ty

DedHed
06/13/2001, 08:54 PM
hmmm,

i don't have any experience with this BUT, it seems to me that the tank or the sub would get damaged.

if anything on the sub is metal it will rust. rust will kill your animals quickly.

if oil is on the sub (for the rudders or whatever) the oil will also take out a few animals.

saltwater erodes jsut about everything, so if the sub is plastic it won't last long.

if the sub is painted the SW could erode the paint causing it to get into the system's water!

IMO, the sub and aquarium are a deadly combo!

HTH
Dennis

DedHed
06/13/2001, 08:58 PM
i almost forgot about stray voltage.

that sub may not be as sealed as the powerheads that were intended for SW use.

stray voltage is believed to lead to Head and Lateral Line Erosion in fish.

Dennis

Tide Man
06/13/2001, 11:00 PM
Cool!

Roenee,
The last time I saw a remote control submarine was at leslisee pool suplies. Its summer time so you should be able to find one at ToysRUs too. I think that is a cool Idea when I was young I used to put Gi Joes in my fresh water tank. DedHed brings up a good point though. Make sure there is enough room in your tank so you don't run your rock or corals over or skratch your glass. And also check with the labels and make sure that at least its nontoxic paint and use aqua stick to plug up any screw holes. I would also run it in your bath tub for an hour or so to get any oils or debris of of it. I have to much invested in my tank to do something like that but if you do do it I want to see some pics!

Later

mr9iron
06/14/2001, 01:22 AM
I think I see in the near future some fish that will be chased around roenee's tank buy a submarine. :p

Rovert
06/14/2001, 07:22 AM
Forgive me for raining on this parade, but why would you want such a thing? Aren't the beautiful fish and corals enough? I think you're taking an enormous risk.

TonyHNYC
06/14/2001, 08:25 AM
I think Tower Hobbies might carry somethign like that... Well, I got planes and cars from them, but submarines.....they should have something....:)

TonyHNYC
06/14/2001, 08:26 AM
www.towerhobbies.com