PDA

View Full Version : 250W MH...How hot?

striker3636
10/27/2003, 10:52 PM
I'm just putting together my custom 4' hood. I've got two 250W 10K Ushio's, two 4' VHO's and I also picked up two Custom SeaLife moon lites.
My question is about placing the moonlites, I'd like to have them evenly spaced which would put them very close to the MH's... The moonlite is a small, approx. 1" X 1" plastic cube. I've no experience with MH's and I'm concerned that they might get so hot that they'll melt the moonlites if I put them too close... Has anyone done this, or can anyone suggest a safe distance?
I was thinking maybe I can even fasten them to the aluminum "box" that the MH mogul base attaches to that houses the wires?

striker3636
10/28/2003, 08:30 AM
Anyone?

electric130
10/28/2003, 12:47 PM
PFO's moonlights go exactly where you were talking about doing yours, but they make theirs out of metal, and probably for a good reason too. i'd put them at least 6" away from the MH bulbs and reflectors. if you can, have fans blowing on them to as an added safety measure. as a test, hold your hand in the spot where you'd mount the moonlights. if it's too hot for your hand, then it's probably too hot for plastic moon lights.