PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting Green Star Polyp

drock59
10/27/2003, 08:15 PM
My freind has some of this in his tank and it is growing like crazy. he said he would give some to me but neither of us are sure how he would do this. Do we just cut some off and clue it to a rock or what. My question is how do i get some from his tank to mine?

Cyberchef
10/28/2003, 12:33 AM
Peel a small piece of the GSP mat, carefully, off of whatever it's growing on and then mount the piece to either your LR in your tank or to a piece of LR rubble. It's usually easier to mount the GSP frag to a piece of LR rubble first, pat the back of the frag dry, pat the piece of LR rubble dry and use a few drops of super glue gel to mount the frag to the piece of LR. This can then be placed anywhere in the tank where you want GSP to grow. they will encrust the piece of LR and then grow onto where ever you placed the piece of LR. The best part is, the original piece/frag can then be removed and placed elsewhere to repeat the process... :)

Joshua Scialdone
10/28/2003, 10:10 AM
Hey Drock59,
You can also put a small piece of LR rubble beside the GSP in your buddys tank & wait for it to encrust.Then use a razor blade to cut thru the polyp mat that connects the 2 pieces & then put the new frag in your tank.Slower but safer method if you are just starting to frag.
HTH Joshua

-Keith-
10/29/2003, 01:27 PM
A quick and easy way to do this would be rip/peel of some of the GSP. This is easier when the green "tentacles" are retracted (e.g. after lights out or spray the BSP with a turkey baster) and only the purple sheet is visible. If the GSPs have been growing in a spot for awhile, there are often regions where the purple sheet bunches up to form little (1/8" to 1/4") tufts. These tufts are a good place to pull to get the sheet started. I usually use blunt tweezers but you can use your fingers. Once you get a piece of the sheet started, use something (tweezers or small screwdriver) to pry under the sheet and keep peeling. If you don't see any tufts, just try to pulling somewhere in the middle of the colony where the purple stalks (where the green tenacles would normally protude) are taller and closer together. I find its easier to pull off big peieces here than at the edges.

Once you have a or severl purple sheet(s), rubberband it (them) to a rock of your choice. In a week they will attached and start spreading.

I frag a GSP colonoy that's about 8" in diamter this way once evey 4 to 6 weeks and transfer the sheets to 3 to 5 tennis-ball sized rocks. After a 1 to 2 month grow out period, the new rocks are mostly cover.