PDA

View Full Version : Eggs & Egg Police... Not Again...

O'Man
06/12/2001, 10:41 PM
I hear the federal government is up to more important over-regulation:rolleyes: and being consistent with its stewardship of hard-earned taxpayer dollars (at least the average taxpayer earns them the hard way) Maybe I should say "hard-confiscated" taxpayer dollars.........Anyway, there are regulations in the works to bring back the Jim Florio(former gov of NJ) "Egg Police" laws.

No more eggs over-easy AKA sunny-side-up AKA over-light (runny yokes) at your favorite restaurant or diner. Uncle Sam is going to protect us all from the "bad-yokes" :D that are out there.

This law was laughed off the books in NJ 10 years ago. What is going on out there????? Well, maybe, I do feel safer knowing that our country will be a better place if all eggs are cooked-hard and that not a single egg will be served unless it has the consistency of a hockey-puck.

As a famous writer whose initials are K.V. (and who wrote Cats Cradle, Slapstick, God Bless you Mr. Rosewater, Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse Five) once said as advice to young people "Remember the government is not your friend"

Kahuna Tuna
06/12/2001, 11:51 PM
"This is the police. We know you're in there. Put your hands up and step away from the runny eggs!" Just try and get a restaurant to serve you a rare burger these days(even though that is just like Russian roulette), sheesh..........Our lovely govt. in action.

signu459
06/13/2001, 08:06 AM
Glad to the see our wonderful gov taking all the fun out of life. Also gald to see that I am paying for it! gee maybe one of these wizards will decided that we should all be locked up in a rubber room and fed soy protein for our whole life.

ChromisHomme
06/13/2001, 01:14 PM
Does NJ still ban self-service gas pumps?

billsreef
06/13/2001, 07:23 PM
What's this world comming too? No more runny eggs sunny side up and no more rare hamburgers :uzi: Well at least I can still get some good sushi :D

O'Man
06/13/2001, 10:04 PM
ChromisHomme:

Yes.

BTW it makes it easier for certain people to cheat you at the pump. Really, in certain situations I have been forced to double-check the dollar amount on the pump versus what the pumper tells me. Sadly, there are certain gas stations I won't go to because they try to cheat you.

Flame*Angel
06/14/2001, 08:39 AM
I'd say that the restaurants won't be against this. If someone went to a restaurant, ate a runny egg and got sick they'd sue the restaurant. Maybe if people weren't so litigious then the government wouldn't be trying to over-regulate everything.

signu459
06/14/2001, 08:41 AM
O'man,

You're kidding me, you actually took action on your own with out the help of your State or Federal government? I thought everyone depended on government to protect them from evil businesses. That really is a novel concept, can you tell me more about how you did and why?

O'Man
06/18/2001, 10:27 PM
signu459:

I know it's hard to believe, but an ordinary citizen, without help from the gov, can look at the pump and tell the attendant that it says $22.50 and not $24.00 so I am only going to pay you $22.50.

Oops, I'm sorry- silly me, I did have some help from the gov, I learned basic math and english, which is more than I could say for the attendant, in public school. Hey, maybe public schools in the third world are the cause of this person's "error", maybe our gov could help and send more of our tax dollars to that creep's country of origin.

Well, maybe not, his country of origin would probably just spend our money on another nuclear bomb.

I know, I can thank that attendant by bringing him breakfast some morning.

As for the egg situation, I see it as another member of the fifth
estate (our un-elected officials) coming-up with another way to perpetuate an already over-blown bureaucracy.

hartman
06/19/2001, 08:31 AM
I hear the federal government is up to more important over-regulation

Yes and some restaurant are having lawyers write up waivers for customers to sign if they want then over easy.

The Fed also dictates the size of the hole in Swiss cheese. To get the "grade a" label the hole must never be bigger than a dime or quarter. And the cheese industry has be trying for 5 years to change it but the Fed refuses.

Well at least the deck chairs will be organized :)

Hartman

O'Man
06/19/2001, 10:07 PM
Yeah, there are regulations on the size and shape of different fruits like those for the holes in Swiss cheese. These regulations cause an enormous amount of waste as well as increasing the costs to consumers. But hey, those special interest dollars have to go somewhere.

Just imagine being a small farmer with a crop of yummy nectarines, but the gov won't let you sell them because the big guys have paid them to have create certain "standards" that favor their technology or the fact that their farms are big enough to throw out 40% of their crop and still make money. Oh, those wonderful special interest groups :(