PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Sony DSC-V1

Kirk_M
10/24/2003, 10:29 PM
Anyone have a Sony DSC-V1 digicam? Tell me what you think of it, and if you have compared it to the Canon Powershot G5. I am torn between these two and need some of your opinions to help make my decision.

gregr
10/25/2003, 09:56 AM
i took a look at the two cameras side by side on www.dpreview.com and just going by the specs (leaving out image quality and ease of use and those other things you can only know by playing with the actual cameras) it looks like the G5 is the better camera, but only slightly.
take a look at the buying guide>>side by side on dpreview and you'll see what i mean. the G5 has a slightly longer lens (140 vs 136mm) although the Sony is 1mm wider. the G5 has the 50 iso which is really smooth and almost no grain. the G5 has a faster lens, slightly more powerful flash, and a two second delay (Sony just has the 10 second delay, aka self-timer).
a biggie is the RAW format- the Sony has a tiff format which is nice but it's not the same. with RAW pics you can change white balance settings after the shot is taken- in the software. a great feature.

greg

Kirk_M
10/25/2003, 04:34 PM
Does the G5 do RAW mode?

gregr
10/25/2003, 09:32 PM
yep- that's probably the biggest plus on the G5 side in my opinion.
greg

Sc4r3d
10/25/2003, 10:55 PM
I agree. I like the G5 its a nice camera, I have a buddy at work that has one, its a nice camera. I would go with the G5, if it were up to me, but im not expert on digital, listen to gregr he is the wizard in the camera dept.

my 2 cents.
Sc4r3d