PDA

View Full Version : Help With Lamotte Calc Test

cruehead
06/11/2001, 10:44 PM
i just got a lamotte calc test kit. ive been using salifert for quite some time and due to marine depot being out of stock on the salifert, i got a lamotte instead. when i use the eye dropper to draw a sample of tank water, it always goes above the .5 ml mark. it doesnt go above it very far but far enough to cause me some concern for accurate testing. is it ok that it goes above this mark or should i use a 1 ml syringe from another source instead? also i used both my salifert and lamotte kits and the salifert read 450ppm while the lamotte read 525ppm. which one is right?

MiNdErAsR
06/12/2001, 06:31 AM
Try gently squeezing the bulb, forcing some water out, until you reach that 0.5 mL line. My money is on the LaMotte for accuracy.

slojmn
06/12/2001, 10:36 AM
I used the LaMotte Calc test for quite a while and became very frustrated with the high readings. I love LaMotte and use other kits by them, but I was disapointed in the calc test and switched to Salifert. I was getting readings like 500- 600+ most of the time and I knew my calcium was not that high as it would have been precipitating out of the water. I went to the Salifert and feel this kit is more accurate. Sorry I can't help you much, this was just my experience and I am a deciated LaMotte user.

cruehead
06/12/2001, 10:38 AM
thanx minderaser. i tried not squeezing the bulb so hard or squeezing some of the water out but then i get air pockets in there. after fooling around with it for a while, i finally pulled out one of the syringes i have from my salifert kit and used that.
anybody else have an opinion on the discrepent values i got?

pscheel
06/12/2001, 11:12 AM
I also used the Lamotte and also got high readings. Did we all get bad tests?

Bryan
06/13/2001, 12:58 AM
I too have used the Lamote calium test kit and have been disappointed in the end result. The problem with the test kit, is it does not give a distinct end point. According to a chemist at Lamotte , this test is not designed for aquarium use due to the high magnesium content in saltwater.

-=Bryan=-

cruehead
06/13/2001, 08:44 AM
does anyone know what IO salt should mix to for a Ca level? maybe if i set up a control then tested, i could get a better idea on the accuracy of the test

BRW
06/13/2001, 09:13 AM
Love Lamotte. Here's how I get an accurate sample. You need to use some hand-eye coordination. I squeeze the bulb fully, immerse the tip in the water-to-be-tested, slowly release the bulb pressure allowing the water to rise in the tube until it reaches the mark, (at this point you have an accurate sample) pull the tip out of the water while holding this level in the tube, then release the remaining bulb pressure allowing only air in. The result will have some air in the tip of the tube but regardless, when you took the tip out of the water at the correct level, you have an accurate measure. JME. HTH. :smokin: