PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Goby

gumbybc
10/23/2003, 02:25 PM
Anyone that has a mandarin goby: I have noticed that in the morning my mandarin has a whitish looking film on him, then after a few moments it is gone. Is this normal or something I shoudl worry about? He seems to be completely happy the rest of the time. Thanks for all the help y'all always offer!

Brandon

dgin
10/23/2003, 02:33 PM
Most likely it is from burying himself in the sand. I have a spotted mandarin and he occassionally has sand on him from digging/burrowing. Thought it was ich or something before I looked closely. I wouldn't worry about it.

gumbybc
10/23/2003, 02:52 PM
Makes sense. i forgot they do that. i have never seen him buried, so I was not sure what it was. thanks for your help buddy!

The R/C Man
10/23/2003, 04:34 PM
Are manderian gobies an easy to keep fish? If so how big do they get? Is a 25gal tank to small for them? Thanks!

rhinox
10/23/2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by The R/C Man
Are manderian gobies an easy to keep fish? If so how big do they get? Is a 25gal tank to small for them? Thanks!

Mandarins require 75-100 gallons in order to live for a long time. This is not because of the size that they grow up to but rather their food requirement. They eat lots of pods on a daily basis and any tank less than 75 or smaller doesn't produce enough of them.

The R/C Man
10/23/2003, 04:47 PM
Good info! Thanks!

Johnnyfishkiller
10/23/2003, 06:10 PM
My mandarin gets almost white at night when he sleeps. As soon as he wakes up he turns normal color.

I keep mine in a 55 with a 20 gal sump and refugium. I also have a huge population of mysis that have been reproducing in my tank. Unless you can see bugs crawling everywhere in your tank at night, you don't have enough to support a mandarin. Also don't try to keep another pod eating critter in your tank with the mandarin.

The R/C Man
10/23/2003, 07:01 PM
I have a boat load of pods right now but that could diminish quickly depending on the manderian's feeding habit. I'll pass on him just in case. Thanks!

Myladyfish
10/24/2003, 02:31 AM
Mandarin releases poisonous body liquid at night to protect themselves from predators. Although there may be none in your tank, this is done naturally. This liquid is rather milky transparent, slimy yet sticky, so some of the sand stick to the body.

gumbybc
10/24/2003, 02:50 AM
thanks for the info Myladyfish.