PDA

View Full Version : Io Salt

vokey60
10/22/2003, 07:45 PM
I need some answers. I have been trying to get this salt mixed for 3 days and can't get the PH above 7.85. The first batch I made up was very cloudy I bought these 2 months ago when PetSmart had the on Sale I have been reading all of the post about a possible problem with the salt, I went and bought a new bucket and I got the same results but the water was clear does anyone have any ideas? I'm using RO/DI water and mixing in a 45 gallon trash can.

ATB USA
10/22/2003, 08:00 PM
yes I'm having the same problem with a batch of Io I received from them. Its cloudy and will never clear up. I hoping I wouldn't have any more problems with their salt.

vokey60
10/22/2003, 08:16 PM
Need some ideas anybody????

bachtor
10/22/2003, 09:07 PM
I've guess you've seen the monster thread on this? Try testing the alk to see what you come up with. I wouldn't put it in the tank if it is cloudy, usually IO will mix clear in a few hours.

wally100
10/22/2003, 09:08 PM
Yep sounds like you got the bad batch of salt.from the posts i have seen IO will replace it if you send them a sample. Have you checked the dKH? will probably be off the chart

Freed
10/22/2003, 09:56 PM
Are you aerating your make up/change water with a powerhead and venturi valve? I use one in my garbage can to mix with and find that the very fine bubbles make the water look cloudy but then again you might have the "bad batch" disease. Hope this helps, Freed

laddy00
10/22/2003, 10:54 PM
How are you testing the pH. Probe or titration. Have you verified the results with another test. It seems like that pH is so close I would have to believe its testing related. pH doesn't worry me as much as the undisolved salt does. How old was the salt from the first batch you mixed up? Once the salt has been exposed to moisture in the air the salts hydrate and may not disolve. You said the new salt mixed up clear but had low pH. From here I would look to confirm my results and perform more parameter tests

lllosingit
10/22/2003, 11:02 PM
My IO will mix cloudy everytime unless I bring the water temp up.
Mixing it cold always mixed cloudy and left a residue in the mixing tub, but if I heat the water first I don't have that problem.
I might add that the last dozen buckets of salt that I have used all came from Petsmart over the last few months and not a single one has been bad.

ATB USA
10/22/2003, 11:12 PM
i use tap water with amquel plus so the temp is at 78F. I measure with sailfert test kit and a pin point ph meter. It was 7.8 three times. Twice by me and once measure by a lfs. But alk is okay 8dkh. But its just cloudy. I use a rio 2500 to mix the salt. This time I let it mix for 2 days. Its usually crystal clear within 30 minutes.

Freed
10/22/2003, 11:38 PM
Illosingit, I just noticed the same thing this last time I mixed up a batch of change water. I got the water to the correct temp first and then I added salt. No cloudiness and it mixed up clear.

Vokey60 this may help you out too!!

I will look into heating the water up first from now on to see if there is a residue left after mixing. I have had residue cake up on the sides of the garbage can since I started mixing in it to begin with. Hopefully this will help with that.

Also, has anyone else been getting the free shipping that petsmart.com is offering as well? I have bought 5 buckets lately for the no shipping charge. Any others benifiting as well? Thanks, Freed

ATB USA
10/22/2003, 11:44 PM
Can you guys tell me what temperature you are mixing at. I will try to mix some more tomorrow.
Thanks

Freed
10/23/2003, 02:06 AM
I am mixing at the same temp as my 180/60: 78-80'
Thanks, Freed