PDA

View Full Version : Moving a tank...(ideas?)

ziggaboo
10/21/2003, 03:57 PM
Here's what's going on. I have my 55 gallon tank in my room, which needs to be moved out for about 2 days. Hardwood flooring is going in. It is on a cast iron stand, and I really dont want to drain it because there are fish in it and I want them to experience as little stress as possible. I've thought about wheels and such but I'm not sure if the stand will hold while on wheels. I'm stumped and need some ideas. BTW the entire thing with one tank on the bottom weighs about 800-900 lbs. Any ideas?

chicod00
10/21/2003, 07:52 PM
Man, I think we've all been there, I wish I could move my tank just a couple inches to the right...anyways

Even if you could get wheels on there it would be to risky. The fish would be very stressed if the tank broke and they were laying on the floor.

I would make up a temporary home for all your livestock in a giant and strong rubbermaid container. Set it up as if it was the tank. Take this as an opportunity to do some maintance cleaning and other adjustments to your setup.

You could use most of the water from your display tank. Since you wont be able to get all the water out of the tank you can make more and consider it a water change.

Taking your time and doing it in a stress free way for you will probably mean less stress for the fish since you'll be thinking clearly and be relaxed. You don't want things getting rushed and then make a bad mistake.

pnosko
10/21/2003, 10:48 PM
Is it glass or acrylic? I'm going to be moving my 55g acrylic soon, and I have a PETsMART special assembled stand that is giving me worries. I will be draining water and using moving pads (it is on carpet).

Moving a glass tank on a cast iron stand would scare the heck out of me, but I believe it has been done before (maybe just not full of water).

Runner
10/22/2003, 07:45 AM
Sorry, but (as a minimum) you will have to remove the water. If you stress the tank at any point while lifting it on to your wheels, all that weight will cause the tank to break. I might even be concerned about leaving the rockwork and sand in place if there is enough of it.

Runner
10/22/2003, 07:47 AM
Double post

ziggaboo
10/22/2003, 02:36 PM
The tank is glass, and I have thought about the rubbermaid idea, but i would have no way of lighting it. My canopy would not fit over most containers, and I have corals and a BTA that need to be lit. Anyone think its possible to drain some of the water and move it with say 8-10 people to where i can work around it. Then have the same to move it back to the original spot once the floor is laid? I understand that moving the tank will stress the fish, but i really dont think there's a way out of stressing them anyway. Plus, while I'm installing the wood floor a air compressor and floor nail gun will be operating.... you have to beat the nailer with a hammer so it'll be loud as SH*T. I have no idea what to do... draining the tank would kill everything that i have established IMO.

bradwent
10/22/2003, 04:30 PM
ziggaboo,

We just had harwood floors repaired and added and I would think you would want to move the tank away from where it is being done as the chemicals were very harsh. This was for oak hardwood, not the fabricated stuff. The floors were laid, then they came back about 1 1/2 weeks later and proceeded to seal and finish the floors, took 3 days. Each day I had to leave the house because the chemicals were too much. My reef has not been set back up but if it were in the house, I would have been concerned. Good luck...

ziggaboo
10/22/2003, 06:15 PM
prefinished 3/4" bruce hardwood - no chemicals - no sanding - no nothing once its down its done

i can knock out my room in a day if i start early, but it's going to be painted as well - which is why it would need to stay moved a few days. i was thinking about starting on the floor, then moving the tank onto the floor i've done, then finishing the floor and moving it back. will be a pain in the ***, there's no way around that. :rollface:

pnosko
10/22/2003, 08:41 PM
Do you have any corals or other non-fish livestock? If so, post a list.

RC members-- for a 5-10 minute move, what in his list would be adversely affected by exposure to air for than long? Sponges for sure if you have any. The LR would be fine.

If nothing will be hurt by a short exposure, drain the tank down to just below the sand level into the rubbermaid container(s), removing livestock as needed. The 44g Brute round trash cans work great if you buy the dolly for them. Move the tank. Refill. When you're done with the floor, repeat.

edying
10/23/2003, 09:47 AM
I had to move my 38G tank to do a floor install... My tank is on a wood stand (2x4 w/ cross members and oak ply) - very sturdy. I simply used those silicon moving disks. I just had to lift each corner about 1/4" up to get them under and then the tank just slid across the floor (both wood and ceramic tile). Moving the tank slow and steady the water barely rippled...

Don't think I'd try it with an iron stand through... those just don't seem that stable to me.

-Ed

ziggaboo
10/23/2003, 01:45 PM
i dont know about those moving disk things, i dont want to put down a brand new floor and have those things scratch it up as soon as i finish... know what im saying!?