PDA

View Full Version : I think Marine Velvet .. PLEASE help!

Toooloud
10/20/2003, 05:46 PM
Over the last week i have lost 2 Yellow Tangs, 1 3 year old Regal tang and a yellow angel! ..

Is a 150G tank 48L 30D 24H and all was fine in the tank for the last couple of months! .. and i added a couple of yellow tangs i got from a fellow reefer and then all hell borke out.. lost one of the yellow tangs, then the yellow angel and then my Retal tang all over a week!.. thought that it was possible the yellow was killing them all so he was left in the tank and doing well ..

well the last Yellow tang died this morning.. so its leaving me to think some sort of parisite did it ..and was thinking Marine Velvet!

this is what the last tang looked like about 20 mins before finding it dead! ..

tried a fresh water dip , did not work!

Here is a picture.. what do you all think it is or was?

Toooloud
10/20/2003, 06:40 PM
**BUMP**

oama
10/20/2003, 06:56 PM
Try posting this in the disease section.

primerate
10/20/2003, 07:00 PM
Too,
I feel for you! It is never easy to lose a fish and much more difficult to loose several. I can't tell from the pic for sure so I will not venture a guess. i agree with oama post in disease section. good luck..

Toooloud
10/21/2003, 01:22 AM
well at least my other tank is going strong,

When i feel down.. all i need to do is look at my baby and she allways brings a :D :D :D :D To my Face!

Just had to share for anyone reading this!
http://extremereef.com/ExtremeAlbums/album04/New_Clam_p52.sized.jpg

koj11
10/21/2003, 02:12 AM
I had a bout with velvet about a year or so ago. It's characterised by a white sugary fine coating on your fish. By the time you actually see it, it's really too late. By this time the gills will be heavily infested. You'd have to try a heavy antibiotic right away as soon as you saw it to have a chance, imo. Your tang had red on him which i haven't seen associated with velvet before, and leads me to lean towards a bacterial infection of some sort. Ditoo with the guys above about the disease forum.

Myladyfish
10/21/2003, 04:39 AM
tooo, i'm sorry for your fish... guess it is a parasite thing but i'm not too sure... :P

ATJ
10/21/2003, 07:23 AM
In my opinion, the picture doesn't look a whole lot like velvet unless you had some pretty serious secondary bacterial infection going. What other signs did the fish show?

What were the water parameters?

Certainly, velvet can kill that quickly. Brooklynella can also kill very quickly, but I have no experience with it so I can't comment on whether the tang appears to have it.

Toooloud
10/21/2003, 05:26 PM
the water was and still is fine..

Nitrates 3ppm
Nitrites ammonias zero
SG 1.024
Temp 79 Degrees...

My peppermints and snails are fine still in the tank with mushrooms and zooanthids..

Symtoms.. fish where covered witha white powdery substance thought it was the southdown as i have seen my fish brush agaist the bottom and get covered with it.. then heavy breathing cloudy eyes.. then dead out of no where..

tried freshwater dips.. but did not work!

oama
10/21/2003, 06:38 PM
Tooloud
Did you see anything in the FW dip afterwards? How long was the dip for?

ATJ
10/21/2003, 07:05 PM
Was the fine powdery substance like talcum powder or salt? If it was the former, then it probably was velvet, if the latter, it must have been "Ich".

Toooloud
10/21/2003, 07:17 PM
no it was not Ick.. i have had that with the tang before! .. it was more like a talcum powder.. when i dipped them did it for about 2 mins.. untill they starting having issues and did see a coatting come off.. not alot! but some did come off.

oama
10/21/2003, 07:26 PM
Sounds like Amyloo.

If you saw "Talc" in the dip after only 2 mins, I seriously doubt it was Brook.

Are there any other fish in the main tank? If so, remove them into a hospital tank. Treat the fish with copper (have a GOOD Cu test kit). Hypo won't work on Amyloo.

Leave the main tank w/out fish for 3-4 weeks, at least! Even if your fish are done with the treatment.

ATJ
10/21/2003, 09:25 PM
When treating Amyloodinium (AKA velvet) with copper, you must maintain the appropriate levels of copper (0.15-0.2 mg/L) for at least 2 weeks. This is because the copper is only effective against the dinospores and won't affect the trophonts or tomonts which collectively are up to 2 weeks of the life cycle.

Toooloud
10/22/2003, 04:54 PM
No there are no more fish in there.. They are all dead.. they all died in a matter of days... so i will hold off for a while before re adding fish !

oama
10/22/2003, 05:54 PM
Too

OK, you got a month, at least. That will give you plenty of time to set up a Quarentine tank and seed it. Once you have that you can get some more fish and keep them in the Q-tank for 2-3 weeks. After the month is up, you can add the fish to your main tank (assuming the fish don't come down with something in the Qtank).

Best-o-Luck and Q your fishies!

Machiavelli
10/22/2003, 10:50 PM
Well, FWIW, I've been doing alot of reading about velvet lately, as I believe my yellow tang may have it. You should look into tests done using hydrogen peroxide. They have been extremely successful.

This thread touches on it briefly, although the focus is ich and garlic
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258351