PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Salt Available Again:)

Fishy1
10/20/2003, 03:59 PM
For those of you who are still using IO (like me), Petsmart has a free shipping coupon available right now if you spend at least $50.00:)

I ordered three buckets for $110.22 delivered to my door:)

Subtotal: $104.97
Sales Tax: $5.25
Base Shipping: $10.99
Shipping Discount: $10.99
Grand Total: $110.22

This link takes you to the page with the free ship link:

http://www.edealsetc.com/petcoupons.html?source=overture

Fishy1

cwschoon
10/20/2003, 04:01 PM
There is a BIG problem with I.O going on right now....I would hold off .

Fishy1
10/20/2003, 04:03 PM
I plan on testing each bucket before using it.......I've never had problems before.......hope I don't start now! Thanks for the caution though:)

Fishy1

goby
10/20/2003, 04:06 PM
personally, i dont believe this BIG problem that is being talked about...

not to be a jerk, or start a war or anything, but...

cwschoon, have you experieced this problem YOURSELF? or heard from others?

Personally, i dont see IO changing a "good thing" their salt is one of the top listed brands... it would be like jack daniels changing their recipie at this point in the game, not a good idea...

anyways, i realize that some have had problems, but personally, i attribute them to user error, as i have had ABSOLUTELY NO problems with IO, and yes, i have bought a bucket recently too.

g

NewMariner
10/20/2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by cwschoon
There is a BIG problem with I.O going on right now....I would hold off .

The buckets that have had problems have all come from the LFS and are the old style buckets. Petsmart carries the new buckets....I forsee no problems with ordering from Petsmart....thats where I got my last bucket with no problems...

cwschoon
10/20/2003, 04:37 PM
I'm just reading the posts and want to bring attention to it. It maakes no difference to me but from the posts and Randy's analysis, I don't think it is user error. Have you read the posts Goby?

Ocean Image
10/20/2003, 04:59 PM
cwschoon, can you give a link to the posts in mention?

NewMariner
10/20/2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Creeper
cwschoon, can you give a link to the posts in mention?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248196

z28pwr
10/20/2003, 05:27 PM
NewMariner, I ordered 2 buckets a few weeks ago from petsmart and they were the old buckets.

Haven't had any problems so far but I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Fishy1
10/20/2003, 09:40 PM
What is the difference between the old and new buckets.......looks wise? How do you know if you are getting an old bucket?

Fishy1

laddy00
10/20/2003, 10:01 PM
if you check out that thread mentioned earlier i believe there are pictures of the new and old.

lllosingit
10/20/2003, 10:14 PM
The problem must be pretty isolated, It's not like hundreds of people have found bad salt.
If you mix it up and it doesn't look right then don't put it in your tank.
I have 6 buckets left out of 12 buckets I ordered from Petsmart and I didn't find a single thing wrong with the buckets I've already used.

Fishy1
10/20/2003, 10:47 PM
Just saw the pics.......thanks for the help laddy00 I've got 3 buckets of the old in the garage right now.....wonder what Petsmart will send this time:) So far I've never had a problem, but will be more observant in the future.

Fishy1

pjr
10/21/2003, 11:55 AM
What is the problem with I.O. salt right now? I haven't heard about this!

MiddletonMark
10/21/2003, 12:10 PM
A couple people had issues with IO salt mixing funny [was cloudy and left major residue when mixing] ... also tested way high for Alkalinity.

Seems the problem [IMO] was isolated to a couple LFS ... likely just a bad batch.

FWIW - IO seems to have replaced the salt, replaced at least one of the guys livestock ... so they've been good that way.

----

And, as info that has come out on that ... Petsmart gets their salt direct from IO, where most LFS go through other distributors. So likely Petsmart's IO would not be of the `bad batch' ... though one never knows. Believe the bad batch had the mini-pumps in the bucket ... old-style bucket.

---

FWIW, I got 2 buckets on the freeship deal in early August ... no problems here. Soon to open bucket 2, and soon to reorder more.

va_reefman
10/21/2003, 12:16 PM
I too had used up 3 of the old IO salt and didn't have any problem with the salt. I am curious of why some of us had problem with the salt.

John

MiddletonMark
10/21/2003, 12:18 PM
Check out the threads on it. One in Reef Chemistry and one with the title like `_?_?_?_ ALK through the ROOF!!!'
The ?'s are the part I forgot ...

achilles1
10/21/2003, 02:37 PM
THe only time I have had cloudy mix or heavy precipitate were when I added the salt all at one time to my 32 gallon can with poor (no) water circualtion. Or when I put the salt in an empty can and then added water. Those cases were with Bags. With that said I attribute the problems to mixing errors. My procedure is to fill the can with water turn on the mixing pump (mag 7) and poor the salt in (4-32oz scoops). NEVER EVER have clouding or precipitate (particals) in the bottom, and I get my buckets from Petsmart. :) FYI I duplicated the "mixing error" in a 5 gallon bucket to prove my theory. One bucket had good circulation and the other did not. Same batch of salt, but one mixed improperly.