PDA

View Full Version : Truely a sad day

Rod Buehler
06/09/2001, 04:17 PM
After 2 years and 6 months of producing regular batches of countless Banggai fry, my female has disappeared :(. I really dont know what happened, but large bubble coral seems like it just had a meal, and I havent fed yet. I didnt think she was stupid enough to become prey, but she is nowhere to be found. She showed no signs of illness. The male is holding anothe batch now. I figured he would have been the first to go, after fasting so many times over the years. Its kinda sad to see him all alone.
An old article was just publiushed about her in FAMA.. Maybe she figured she completed her mission :confused:
http://www.rodsreef.com/Banggai_article.htm
She is shown in the picture, protecting her mate.

OrionN
06/10/2001, 12:21 AM
Sorry Rod for your loss.

One_Divided
06/10/2001, 02:01 AM
I read the article. Well that really sucks that's she's gone, but perhaps you will have some luck with some of the offspring pairing up. Good luck!

witchdoctor
06/10/2001, 07:06 AM
Really sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like they'd been a great pair.

Clyde
06/10/2001, 08:09 AM
oh so sorry to hear..

I just RECENTLY gave one away of your 'great grandkid' to David G. yesterday at the reef meeting, hope its good for him, to be honest I was a bit afraid of giving the bangaii fri to david, considering that the fry was my FIRST that survived through my dumb 'first timer' breeding attempt from the breeding pair, captive bred, captive grown bangaiis from you..

your story makes my hightened - I might stick my pair in a dedicated 58 gallon tank in the other room when I move, than having it in my new 180 gallon tank.. but again, only coral I have that COULD eat em is a carpet anemone..

Again, sorry to hear :(

FMarini
06/10/2001, 09:17 AM
Rod:
sorry about your loss. I experienced this a few times over my period mass breeding banggais. Too me.. females in full breeding mode only last about 2 to 2.5 yrs. It appears to me that egg production truely shortens the lives of females, as I have had only one female survive longer than 3yrs, all the rest less.As you recall i wrote about this shortened lifespan in the reef.org article.
I can only hope that your female just up and died and was consumed by a local inhabitant. ALternatively she is/was so weakened that she couldn't stay away from the bubble.
AS you know many fish are quite stoic and they don't show signs of weakeness(as this makes them prey) until its too late.
Again sorry for your loss
frank

Rod Buehler
06/11/2001, 05:54 AM
Thaanks all!

One-divided, Yes as you can see from clydes post, She had plenty of grandchildren befoer she gave up.

Clyde, I am happy to hear that her bloodline is being spread around :)

Frank, Yes I do remembver the reefs article.. I guess I jusst didnt want to beleive...She has been such a trooper over the years..

Thanks

Rod Buehler
06/12/2001, 10:23 AM
For only the second time in 2.5 years my male released his brood. The first time was after the addition of a tang to the 180. and now after the loss of her mate.
On a good note, I can now try to sexually ID the remaing fry that I have.

gas4544
06/16/2001, 02:58 PM
I am sorry for your loss and know what its like.

Six weeks ago, I lost my female, too. My pair had mated just a few days before she passed on. A couple of days later, he aborted the batch. I'm giving him a rest for awhile. This fall, I may find a mate for him.