PDA

View Full Version : Refugium green water - plankton?

Lutefisk
06/09/2001, 03:19 PM
I'm in the process of setting up a refugium for my 85 gal hex reef. Since there is a window that receives direct morning sun and indirect sun the rest of the day I set the refugium tank up near the window. I'm thinking that it would be just great if I can take advantage of natural sunlight's propensity to grow algae. I'd rather have it grow in the refugium than my show tank. This tank is not yet plumbed to the display tank.

The refugium is a 20 gal long with a 5-6" DSB a couple of small pieces of live rock and a variety of macroalgae. I started it with water from my display tank as well as some live ocean water. After the tank ran for about a week with just a real strong airstone (really stirring up the water and creating a light current throughout the tank) I started to get a real algae bloom that turned the water an opaque green. Just to be on the safe side, I hooked up a small Aqua-Clear filter to try to filter some of it out.

I don't think it has made much of a difference. But - it sure is good to see a bunch of critters that looked like mysis and grammarius (spelling?) in the filter - they were quickly released back into the tank.

My question is:
What is the possibility that this green algae bloom might actually be good for the display tank? Kind of instant DT's

Thanks!
Paul