PDA

View Full Version : need help with algae problem fast

COBRA201
10/19/2003, 05:16 PM
I have a 75g reef tank that is 3 years old. I am having a problem that i never had before and that is with algae. There is algae all over the rock and its spreding fast. I have that green ball algae dont know what is call. Also that algae that looks like green grass all over my rock, is not long its short and its going fast. None of my fish will eat this algae not my blue tang nor my angel fish. I have to remove all the algae that grows on the sand bed once a week and is very thick i end up loosing alot of sand.

My water parameters are;
ammonia 0.0
Ph 8.0-8.1
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 5.0 ( this one is the only one that always been high i can never get it down and never had an algae bloom. )
calcium 500
alk 9
water change every 2 weeks or 3

The only thing i change in my tank is that i started using RO water because the city water is too durty now.
What should i do? should i buy other tangs (yellow eye tang or yellow tang i heard that they are very good with algae)? Please help people!!!!!!:eek1: :eek1: :confused:

mmgm
10/19/2003, 06:18 PM
Sounds Like Hair Algae. The following post will help.

If this is an emergency try AZNO3 ASAP. (Note: Please confirm you have a Hair Algae Problem. I am just assuming this is your problem)

Good Luck......

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219002

COBRA201
10/20/2003, 01:42 AM
well i do have some of that but the one i am having trouble with is short that looks like a cut green lawn.

RedStar265
10/20/2003, 02:27 AM
sounds like hair-algae to me. get some turbo snails or a lawnmower blenny. Use AZ-NO3 as a last ditch measure..

Myladyfish
10/20/2003, 04:06 AM
no wonder, your nitrate is too high and the algae loves it... just do constant water change. The more frequently you change, the less water it should be. I do, like ONE percent water change everyday. My tank is 20 gallon so I just take out a full cup and replace it with new fresh or salt water. Minimize the usual lighting period for the time being while go get some hungry turbo snails, ensure that the water is flowing not static... very2 effective...