PDA

View Full Version : what type of snail might this be? looks cool, but is it really?

newbieneedshelp
10/16/2003, 01:41 AM
What type of snail is that big one? I just found that I have two of them yesterday, which is kind of exciting, as long as they are a good thing.

Oo! I didn't realize I had the little ones in the same picture! Do you know what type of snail those are? They reproduce like crazy and I have them all over my tank! I don't think they are the polyp eaters because they are very rarely on the polyps, usually on the glass and the rocks. Plus my polyps aren't looking too bad right now ^_^

Do you think that these snails might be the same thing?

I have another type of snail that I'd like to identify as well. It almost has the littler snails cone shape, with a rounded top, but a little smaller than the big snail. It almost sparkles, well it really does seem to sparkle. I am awed at this snail, and would love for it to be beneficial, but it's always better to check first. At the moment, I do not have a picture of it.

Thanks!

-Robin

newbieneedshelp
10/16/2003, 01:46 AM
hmmm just took another look in the tank. I have 4 that I could see. Yesterday it was two, today 4. I sure hope they are good. ^_^

These guys are nocturnal in case you were wondering.

-Roibn

tanker
10/16/2003, 02:20 AM
Not 100% sure, but they look like turbo snails. Algae eaters. Very reef and fish safe.

kmk2307
10/16/2003, 08:45 AM
newbieneedshelp,

Can you turn the snail upside-down and get a shot of the opening of theshell with him trying to right himself? I agre he looks like a turbo but his shell seems "compressed." The little ones look like turbo snails to me too.

Kevin

sambryce
10/16/2003, 09:10 AM
I agree....can you get a pic of the bottom side of the shell with the opening. It doesn't look like a turbo to me....too "compressed" as Kevin said. It may be a Heliacus snail which is know for eating zoos. See if it has a cone-shaped cover over the opening.

Here's a couple of pics of one from reefs.org

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/img/faq_heliacus.jpg

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/img/faq_heliacus2.jpg

newbieneedshelp
10/16/2003, 11:27 AM
I have looked for the pointy cone before, but have not found it. I will try to get a picture of the bottom of it next time. ^_^