PDA

View Full Version : Worlds biggest 'tard

ReeferMac
10/15/2003, 07:35 AM
It's official, I take the title, for worlds biggest retard.

Before I tell you my tale of woe however, I have one of survival (it's all the damned shrimp's fault).

My 90's been in-the-process of getting torn down for several weeks. It's been neglected since the new tank went up, to say the least. When I pulled the rock out last month, I all but forgot it was there. Sandbed got removed a couple weeks ago... and it's been untouched since. This weekend, I was draining the last of the water, and when I got down to about 1 inch left, I saw some 'activity' in the water on the other side of the tank. Lo and behold, there's a peppermint shrimp trying to find a deep spot!
Couldn't believe it had survived all that mistreatment (I mean, the lights hadn't been turned on in over a month). I knew acclimating the poor guy to the new tank's water was going to take a looooong time, so I put him in a bucket in front of the new tank, and started mixing the waters. I used one of the glasses I had kicking around down the basement (you know those 12-ounce glass one's the bar's usually have?) Well, after about an hour of doing this, I brought the glass down in front of the tank a tad early... smacked it right into the edge of the front perimeter brace.

Yes, it cracked the sum'***** right through. :( :( :(

Tank is OK.. I think. I can't tell if it's bowing any, and over 6-feet, I'm guessing I'd see it if it were a huge problem. Replacement glass has been ordered (might have found a local source!) I plan on finding a weekend in the very near future (this coming one's shot already), clamping the tank, draining it 2/3rds down (or more), removing the cracked brace, and replacing it w/ the new one. The plan goes as follows (and here's where I need all your cumulative advice - Gary, I'm particularly interested in your recent experiences):

Start very early some Saturday morning -
Place top rocks on sandbed wherever possible, plan on using the 90 as a water-holding facility as well as temp-home for some items.
Drain down to 2/3rds of the tank (leave ~8 inches of water in the bottom for the fish and corals now resting on sandbed).
Use 2x4's and clamps to brace the tank as flush and straight as I can measure it... With such little water in it, I'm guessing there will be minimal if any bowing.
Cut old silicone/brace away, cleanup w/ razor blades (I hear you have to COMPLETELY remove the old silicone).
Goop a bunch of silicone on the joints, drop the new brace in place, pray.
Get a new-shorn goat (what was the rest of that procedure Allen?)

- What Silicone and where do I get it (Lowes?)

- How long does it take to cure? 4, 8 hours? Please don't say overnight...

- Anyone got some big clamps I can borrow :D

- Who's free on Saturdays (prolly need 1 or 2 for moral support)?

Depending on how long the silicone needs to cure, will determine what I do w/ the fish/corals/water, etc. I have a soon-to-be-emptied 90, and a 60-gallon trash can to hold most of the tanks water, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'm hoping I can leave enough water in there to hold the corals and fish for as long as need be (temporarily place a few PH's and a heater). The bulk of the corals are on (re)movable rocks, so I can do something w/ most of it, but.. I do not want to tear the whole reef down if I can avoid it. I'd rather let 6-inches of rock run dry for the time needed (I'll hit it w/ the turkey-baster from time to time).

Sigh. But the shrimp made it into the new tank (haven't seen 'em since).

- Mac

RandyO
10/15/2003, 08:11 AM
Holy crap that sucks. Sorry to hear about your misfortune Kevin.
If the tank is not bowing now, maybe you can get away with draining it halfway, or even just 6 inches. That way, a few powerheads, and heaters will keep things in order for a couple days.

I believe silicone takes 24 hours to fully cure.

drscheck
10/15/2003, 08:47 AM
The silicone Mitch uses is GE1200, a commercial grade silicone. Carl found it locally. Ask Carl where he got it, as I forgot. I think its like $7.00, it only comes in the caulking tube size.

And yes it take 24 hours to fully cure. That does not mean you can't fill the tank back up while it is curing, as long as you have the clamps on, I think it would be OK.

I usually have to work on Saturdays, but will stop over after.

Flanders
10/15/2003, 09:13 AM
:(

What a shame, I'm really sorry to hear this. If I can help please don't hesitate to let me know (help will be limited to providing muscle\beer, no know-how would be included). I got some free weekends coming up after this one.

At least it sounds fixable, but...

:(

Defcon
10/15/2003, 09:47 AM
hey kevin, if you need my help let me know. i dont know much about building/fixing tanks but i can provide muscle. let me know. peace!

ReeferMac
10/15/2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks Guy's.

Yeah... it took a few days to get over the initial shock of seeing your $1,000 Dollar Starphire Aquarium w/ a huge crack in the bracing. After I started thinking about how to go about repairing it (and found a supplier locally) it didn't seem too bad... other than the 12-odd hours of frantic, delicate work it's going to take (yeah, 'cuz that won't be stressful). At least it {seems} achievable.
Sigh.. as if I don't already have enough on my plate. What kills me is the tank was just starting to get rocking, too.

Hey Carl, where'd you get that stuff...

- Mac

Gary Majchrzak
10/15/2003, 10:32 AM
No newly shorn goats here- but I've got clamps that'll fit over a 230... how soon do you need them?
I could not wait for repairs to begin with mine- I immediately clamped it up as it was visibly bowing.
We drained my 225 halfway and {FWIW} used Perfecto aquarium silicon. Completely razorblade off the old silicon and use alcohol to clean the surface to be re-bonded. {Do not use Glenlivet!}
Sounds like you have a good idea what needs to be done Kev.
My wife works Sat. morning and I have the kids...but let me know if and when you need me and I'll try to work it out so I'm there.
I know that I sure needed some support!

Playfair
10/15/2003, 10:36 AM
That sucks Kevin! :eek2:

But, at least it was just the top brace...

I think if you clamp it right, you won't have to drain more than an inch out of it. I'd run a 2x6 or some other structural piece along the top front, and then remove and reattach the brace. You can get a pair of those pistol wood clamps that can reach your width (I don't have any long enough). Cutting it out will be a hassle, but not impossible. Let me know if you want any help, since I have used that silicone before on the zoo tank.

I'd get the clamps on there ASAP so it doesn't start bowing...

ps- Mitch's prefered pre-glue glass treatment is pure white distilled vineger. This would also be the least poisonous for the tank.

MarksReef
10/15/2003, 11:44 AM
Bummer kevin. Feel free to list supplys that you want to borrow, tools, heaters, powerheads, buckets etc...

ri
10/15/2003, 11:45 AM
Mac,

I have 1/2 a (large) tube of aquarium silcone sealant and 3' clamps. Let me know if you need them.

ri

ReeferMac
10/15/2003, 12:49 PM
Thanks Guys. Rick - I may take your offer on those clamps (as that's about teh minimum I'll need - 2-footers won't do it, and I only have 1 4-foot clamp I used to make the stand).

- Mac

drscheck
10/15/2003, 01:18 PM
I have 4 clamps that will fit over your tank, I work tonight and tomorrow night, but can leave them out for you if you want to swing over some time. Or you can come over after 9:30pm

Let me know

drscheck
10/15/2003, 01:18 PM
Oh yeah, Carl is camping today, tomorrow and Friday. He might not be on the board til Saturday. I will try and find the silicone for you.

ReeferMac
10/15/2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks Doug. I'm all booked until Monday (and possibly later if Dallas wants to hang out for a spell), but I'll get in touch with you.
Gotta get those frags anyways.

- Mac

Kent E
10/15/2003, 02:46 PM
Kevin, Is it possible to leave the brace right where it is and silicone a patch piece of glass over the breach?

ReeferMac
10/15/2003, 03:48 PM
It's possible Ken (one of the thoughts I had), but unacceptable appearance-wise. Spent too much money on the tank for it not to be perfect (and I'm in denial about the scratch, so that one really doesn't exist ;) ).

- Mac

ri
10/15/2003, 04:19 PM
Mac,

Found my tube of sealant... It cost $10 (for 10.3oz) from Marine Oasis. It is from Perfecto (who know the actual manufacture).

The label states:
Normal sealant "skins" in 5 minutes, cures and bonds in 24 hours. Allow 48 hours before filling tank. Optimum strength is achieved in 7 days.

I have a small tube of aquarium sealant from DAP. The label does not mention cure time at all.

ri

PS: Remind me to NOT allow you near my tank with a beer! :D

ReeferMac
10/15/2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ri
PS: Remind me to NOT allow you near my tank with a beer! :D

LOL! You know, that's what kills me out of the whole affair. It was early afternoon, I wasn't drunk, stoned, high, tripping, or even on a caffeine buzz at that point.. I didn't even hit it that hard. My sister was down the basement w/ me at the time, heard the smack and my exclamation, asked what happened. She couldn't believe glass that thick cracked under such a light rap (you see, she's a McDonald too, so is used to the infamous clumsy gene).

Sigh... I learned a great lesson from Gary's (and other's) experiences w/ Metal Halides wearing out plastic bracing. Insisted the new tank was glass braced.

Learn from me.. PLASTIC cups for the tank.. nothing glass, ceramic, or anything hard.

- Mac

BCooksey
10/15/2003, 10:05 PM
D'oh, Sorry man. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

nf4sevenw
10/15/2003, 10:43 PM
ouch. sorry to hear that man. i hope everything works out in the end.

Stoli
10/16/2003, 05:41 AM
Hey Kevin:

Had a darn busy week and just read your post. As I have a deep emotional attachment to that tank (since I have to live vicariously through you for a few months), feel free to give me a call if you need a hand. I'm in Orlando this weekend but next weekend I should be available to lend a hand, or at least several fine shots of single malt.

BTW: Chiming in with Playfair, I like the vinegar idea better than alcohol, especially considering the McDonald gene.

BBTW: A newly shorn goat won't help. This type of thing requires at least your best young calf and three bushels of your first wheat harvest.

ReeferMac
10/16/2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Stoli
BBTW: A newly shorn goat won't help. This type of thing requires at least your best young calf and three bushels of your first wheat harvest.

LOL! Thanks.

- Mac

Kent E
10/22/2003, 10:44 AM
Kevin, I was thinking that the brace is still functioning. The crack is only in one spot, so the two lengths on either side is still acting as braces. when you remove the whole thing the lack of existing support may be tremendous bowing it severely. You may have already thought about this, but go overboard on the brace you build and water you take out. I dont want you to lose the whole thing.
K

Gary Majchrzak
10/22/2003, 10:53 AM
FWIW- I am working 24/7 right now. That means this Sat.& Sun.

My Perfecto 225 held together {full of water} with all lengthwise top support lacking {for several hours} as I ran to purchase clamps the morning I woke up to see the 'split'.
I am in total agreement on erring on the side of caution, though.
Make sure there are 2x4's the entire length of the tank and clamp 'em up {and release 'em}very gently!

Oh yeah... Higbie farm supply gave me a hot tip on where to purchase some cheap Holstein calves.

ReeferMac
10/22/2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks Kent. That's kinda my thinking and observations as well.. the brace is cracked, but still contacting on all counts, and the silicone is not torn, so it's pushing back against all the forces acting on it.
Thanks Gary, so far things look good, and I haven't clamped anything (I know, I know...) Did you ever see any evident bowing on yours when the bracing was broken? I plan on taking as much water as I easily can, but... I have a few corals mounted to the plumbing (and growing and encrusting), which will be up high.. can't leave those dry for the 24 hours I need to cure, so I haven't decided what to do just yet about that situation. With clamps in place holding everything together, I tend to think the water level is a moot point, but.. dunno. Haven't gotten the replacement brace yet anyways, and finding a Saturday is at least 2 weeks off. :rolleyes:

- Mac