PDA

View Full Version : Caulerpa tank...

homersimpson
06/07/2001, 04:38 AM
I am going to setup a tank thats only purpose is to grow caulerpas. My plan is to take a 10 gallon tank, fill it with water that I take out of my main tank during a water change, and then add a full spectrum normal fluorescent light, and have two powerheads for circulation. Does this sound like a good plan? Will the tank need to go through any cycle, or will I be able to add caulerpa as soon as it is setup? I am doing this becuase it has been very expensive buying a bunch of caulerpa and letting my hippo tang and foxface eat it all in three days. I will hopefully have it grow fast enough that I will be able to prune it and put what I prune into my main tank. Thanks alot! All you guys have been very helpful!!!!

metamorphis
06/07/2001, 05:17 AM
I just started a 10 gallon caulerpa tank not long ago. I had pretty much the same idea as you, with one NO light and a powerhead for circulation. I was concerned about starving the plant of nutrients, so I threw a few cubes of food to decay and provide some fertilizer. It's too early to tell how it is going to work out, but so far, so good. It is bright green and already growing well.

bigben
06/07/2001, 09:23 PM
Howdy and welcome to RC!!

Both of you have a good plan, which will work great. Good luck,

Ben

Old Yeller Tang
06/08/2001, 04:08 PM
You can also just add the culerpa in your sump as well. I have a 10g sump for my 60g that has culerpa growing well in. I have a naso that just chomps my culerpa up and it does get expensive having to keep buying it.