PDA

View Full Version : Alot of questions...

jobryan26
10/12/2003, 07:49 AM
I have had cichlids in my tanks and I am wanting to convert my tank over to sw. My tank is a 55 gal with rocks and sand from the gulf of Mexico. The only equipment I have been using on my setup is a aquaclear 300 & 200 along with 2-201 powerheads for extra water movement. I have some plants in the tank but they are plastic so that is no big deal. For lighting I only have 2-50/50 18watt so I'm sure I will have to increase my lighting. My questions are:

1. Will this be ok for starting up a sw tank?

2. I have heard of people using hob's on sw tanks. Can I still use them or will I have to get a sump?

3. Is the rock and sand ok? I killed everything that was in them I'm sure because I bleached them and found some small crabs and snails dead in the bucket that I cleaned them in.

Any more thoughts are well excepted.

Here are some pictures of what the tank looks like now.
http://67.8.58.194/DSC00090.JPG
http://67.8.58.194/DSC00091.JPG
http://67.8.58.194/DSC00093.JPG
What I eventually want is a live rock tank with some small fish.

David P
10/12/2003, 08:07 AM
well, the tank should work.

If youve had this rock in fw, everything in and on it is dead. I guess you could use it for base rock and add live rock to it.

Chances are youll want more sand, a lot more aragonite. Most people are using DSB (deep sand beds)as bio filters as well as the rock. With a DSB ~4" youll need at least 1lb of sand per gal.

If you dont want any corals, your strip light should work, if you do want corals, youll want to add more lights such as PCs.

Ive heard of people using HOT filters as well, but its tough to beat a sump. you can put all your uglies in there like heaters, carbon, all the needed stuff that you dont want to see. You can go with one large pump and ditch the power heads also. Not only is it nicer to look at, but you also can hold more water for better stability.

Dont forget about your skimmer.

evermann
10/12/2003, 09:41 AM
where in the gulf did u get ur sand? looks like silicant based sand which if u do more research peeps try to avoid,,,what gave you the idea to bleach ur stuff? Personnally, I'd def make sure the tank ran for a long while b4 I put anything in there? the rocks, I also have some gulf rock which is very dense and will descent base rock, but if you want good live rock in the future you will have to get it elsewhere...my .02

Strandedthinker
10/12/2003, 10:15 AM
you can bleach rocks to kill off algae, read it in a few books. Boiling also works

DgenR8
10/12/2003, 01:24 PM
If you put that rock in a fresh water tank, bleaching was a good idea, it will become live with salt water organisms again, if you keep it in salt water, and seed it with some fresh live rock.

Bosk
10/12/2003, 01:37 PM
you could do it...would look into sump, they are a must IMO,no hob stuff IMO,skimmer, lighting if you want corals.no dsb IMO :)
use that search button alot, make a game plan when the decision has been made and go for it!!
have fun
bosk

jobryan26
10/13/2003, 06:51 PM
I just got back from the lfs with a bag of 50gal Instant Ocean salt mix and a test kit. I just got done adding it to my tank so the cycle can start. I will go ahead and increase my sand bed to around 4 inches. I have also spent the last few days reading the snot out of posts and finding alot of information to help me out. Thanks for all of the info guys!

Trek Rider
10/13/2003, 07:05 PM
If you used any copper based meds in your cichlid tank, the copper may leach out of the rock/sand and be detrimental to certain SW invertebrates.

Strandedthinker
10/13/2003, 07:53 PM
run chemi-pure before you add anything, or run charcoal, or run charcoal always

jobryan26
10/14/2003, 03:53 PM
I don't have any copper or ever had in my tank so that shouldn't be a problem. I do currently have charcoal in my filters. I do have a question tho. The bag of instant ocean that I bought said "50 gal" so does that mean I need to add 5 more gallons for my 55? I am assuming 50 gal means for 50 gal tank. Or atleast that is what I thought it meant and I can't seem to get a reading on my salt level. I bought a Pond Care test kit and I have to put 5ml of my water into the test tube then add 4 drops of #1 then shake. Then add #2 in 2 drop increments and shake till the water turns a dark purple. 60 drops later and my water is still clear. Could it be a bad test kit?

reese3687
10/14/2003, 04:08 PM
get a east 1-2 more rocks because ur rock is dead

jobryan26
10/14/2003, 04:24 PM
I am planning to buy some live rock and live sand to add to my tank. I was at first thinking I could just add more sand from the ocean but after searching thru the posts I found that wasn't a great thing to do if I wanted alot living things in my sand bed.

David P
10/14/2003, 04:27 PM
some people use 2% salt in koi ponds, you are running about 30
% salt in your tank. a 50g bag is for 50g of watter, with a substrate and LR you will have less than that in your tank. Youy need to get a swing arm salt water test or a refractometer to test your salinity. Mix the salt in a seperate container, use a heater, and a power head and let sit over night after you obtained the correct salinity

jobryan26
10/14/2003, 04:32 PM
Thanks David I didn't even think about taking that into consideration. I drop the salinity by just changing the water right? How much should I change?

Strandedthinker
10/14/2003, 07:41 PM
change your water over? remove all the water you have now and start with new

jobryan26
10/16/2003, 05:37 PM
I have done 2 50% water changes over the past couple of days because I thought I was very high in my readings even with that cheesy test kit. I went to my lfs today to find out what the problem was and pond test kit won't work with testing salinity in my tank. I went to another lfs which I have had great luck with and bought a complete wet/dry setup and a swing arm test kit. I checked my salinity level and it is reading 1.002 so I am going to have to get more instant ocean. My wet/dry setup is a Aqua Clear Aquantics 60gal wet/dry w/overflow and a Rio1700. I have since removed my ac 200&300 but my power heads are still in there. This is ok right?

Strandedthinker
10/16/2003, 05:48 PM
they should be fine, maybe buy a pipe cleaner made for tanks to clean them out, replace filters also. Sounds good so far

intrudah
10/17/2003, 01:08 AM
Did u used RO/DI water?
If u didnt, dump all the water u have and refill the tank with RO/DI saltwater..
Your lights will be ok for FOWLR but if u think you'll be getting into reef then you'll need more lights, LR & DSB
If u have bio-balls(nitrates factory) in the filter get rid of them
DO NOT TRUST THE LFS for any hardware, if they advise something check on RC and online price b4 you buy it..
Get a good Protien skimmer, dont get any filter that comes with a built in protien skimmer...
Get a RO or a RO/DI unit ..( cheap on ebay)
I'll advise you to make a list of all the hardware and get your stuff online you'll most likely save any where from $100-$300...

DaveJohnson
10/17/2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by intrudah
If u have bio-balls(nitrates factory) in the filter get rid of them

ONLY do this if you have enough (1.5 lbs/gal or so) LR and/or DSB to process the ammonia & nitrites & are creating a reef tank. If you're gonna run FO or FOWLR, the bioballs will be fine.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

intrudah
10/17/2003, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah forgot to menton that, Thanks Dave :)

jobryan26
10/17/2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks again for the info. You are right about the lfs stores, they were the ones that sold me that stupid pond test kit. They also were the ones that told me my options for upgrading my filtration were either the cheap route with a ugf which I do already have but I won't use it because of problems like this
http://67.8.58.194/DSC02873.JPG

I had cc and I also did weekly water changes along with vaccuming out the tank. After that I was done with those things. Or going the wet/dry option which they were going to charge me $150 for the 100gal sump, $90 for a Mag 5 pump, $80 for an overflow box, and then I still had to buy the bio balls, hoses and etc. for a total of $400!:eek1: I was like...umm NO! So I went to the other place where I got everything I listed for $200 which I thought wasn't bad considering I was buying from my lfs.

I do have an Eagle Spring’s 2050 (http://www.eaglespring.com/undersink.html) water filter that I use for filling my tank so I think I will be fine there.

From this point I don't know which steps to take next.
1.Protein Skimmer
2.Live Rock & Sand
3.PC lighting

I am thinking get the LR & LS, then the protein skimmer, and then the lighting?

Also I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. If I add 1-1.5 pounds of LF & LS then I need to remove the Bio Balls? I am wanting a FOWLR tank and I was thinking I only needed to remove the BB's if I was going with a reef tank?

intrudah
10/17/2003, 05:42 PM
You need a protien skimmer for sure, Do Not get Lee's or SeaClone they are worthless....Aqua Sea makes good skimmers, if u want to spend less then $50 on a skimmer for right now check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2354037417&category=20758
later on you can get a nice one...
LR and Sand depends if you'll only want a FOWLR or Reef, since you are planning to buy a $200 of wet/dry filter why not spends that money on rocks instead check this out:
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/lr.html
$145.00 for 44lbs cured LR is not a bad price and since you already have some LR in tank you should have enough LR for your tank(if u get the LR)... and if later on you want to get in reef you wont need to get LR and get rid of the filter.
CC is ok for fish but not good for reef, I'll sugesst you get LS if you think you'll might get in reef later, or if can get some SouthDown (playsand only available at some Home Depot) that will be ALOT cheaper...
IMO get the protien skimmer b4 you get additional LR or LS.....

You wont need bio-balls if you have enough rocks and sand and if you dont need bio-balls why buy a wet/dry filter get a RubberMaid bucket instead will work just like a sum, plus it will give you room to put stuff :)

jobryan26
10/17/2003, 06:32 PM
I'm glad you mentioned SeaClone because that was the one I was looking at in the fish store the other day. I was looking at that skimmer last night when I was looking at the JEBO 48" 220W(55wx4) Power Compact Lighting (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=2353894448) which I am thinking about buying later on. I didn't really think it would be any good because it looked kinda cheap but I guess I was wrong.

I have already bought the wet/dry and have it running. I bought it because of.....yeah the lfs said I should buy it next instead of the LR & LS. I guess then my next investment will be a skimmer and then LR & LS.

DgenR8
10/17/2003, 07:20 PM
There are a few people using the Seaclone skimmers that are happy with them, but by far, people that buy them post their dissatisfaction. Look into the AquaC Remora line, I see much more praise associated with them.
I'd have said to stay away from the wet/dry, but if you have it, use it. It will provide some benefit while your system is young, and can be converted to a sump by removing the bio balls when the time is right.

DgenR8
10/17/2003, 07:22 PM
Also.....
Avoid any equipment that comes with a RIO pump:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103466&highlight=lets+count+the+broken+Rios

intrudah
10/17/2003, 09:15 PM
I'm fixin to buy that skimmer cuz mine is not working like its suppose to and I need a cheap subtitute really fast, but if i had extra cash right now I would buy AquaC Skimmer......

intrudah
10/17/2003, 09:22 PM
not a bad price for the lights you mentioned.

DgenR8
10/18/2003, 07:43 AM
Personally, I would do what I could to modify your present skimmer. Buying cheap equipment (especially twice) before buying quality equipment, costs more than buying good equipment first.
Why have two skimmers in the junk pile before stepping up to the good stuff?

intrudah
10/18/2003, 12:35 PM
I spent over 2 hours yesterday makin that pos work but it didnt, btw its seaclone it came with my tank, but I always had problem with it so for right now I need a cheap one cuz I cant afford to get a aquac or something like that right now and i need a skimmer asap, my lfs only have all the crappy skimmers and my nitrates are starting to go up...
I really want to get a good skimmer but I'm out of options at the moment....

DgenR8
10/18/2003, 06:10 PM
I've never had a Seaclone, but did modify a cheap Amiracle skimmer by simply adding an airstone to it. Got me through until I could replace it.

jobryan26
10/19/2003, 09:16 AM
I have been looking at skimmers over the past few days and I'm shocked at how many different brands there are. I am looking to spend no more than $150 or atleast I hope for a skimmer. Are there any other brands/models that you would recommend?

Do I need to go ahead and add my dead shrimp now? I have spent the last week just trying to get my salinity level stabilized and I am almost there and I'm ready to get this process moving along.

DgenR8
10/19/2003, 09:35 AM
Any skimmer worth it's salt that you can get in that price range will have to be bought used. My Lifereef was expensive at $600.00, but my wife bought it for me through a LFS. They can be had cheaper directly through www.Lifereef.com and for a 72 gallon, you don't need one as big as mine. Take the time to shop around, good deals can be found on the best skimmers if you're willing to search a little bit.

David P
10/19/2003, 10:15 AM
www.exoticfish.com has EuroReef knockoffs. Theyre quite hit quality, I have two and would recomend them. Go to his web page and join his fish club. Youll get a sales letter once a week and he usually has his Soth Bay skimmer on sale every week for..."SouthBay 6-1 Skimmer only $225 (up to 125 Gal)"

jobryan26
10/30/2003, 07:31 PM
*UPDATE*
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Last week I bought some live rock from my lfs. I didn't get much since it was $8.00 a lbs so I left with 3 decent rocks that cost me $100.00. Yeah I should have bought on-line but I haven't really spent much time online for the past week or so because I have been to busy. It was really cool to see the live critters running around but they seem to be all dead now my tank has started to cycle. I do plan on buying alot more. I also have my salinity level straightened out and leveled off at 1.024. Yesterday I went and bought a Coralife 130watt PC light. The one I got only has the 2 x 65watt 10,000k & Actinic straight pin bulbs. Good lord that thing is bright after looking at 2-18 watt 50/50's for a few years! I haven't gotten my skimmer yet but I am planning on it really soon while I still try to decide which one to go with. You can find more info on my website here (http://67.8.58.194/55%20Gallon.htm).

DgenR8
10/30/2003, 08:08 PM
If anyone would have mentioned $8.00/Lb rocks to me before I started in this hobby, I'd have laughed at them, now it sounds normal to me. I guess normal is in the eye of the beholder, huh?
Tank is looking good, and you have done a nice job on your site too.
I'm not sure if anyone has alerted you to this thread, but I see you have a RIO pump, and I thought you should be aware:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103466&highlight=lets+count+the+broken+Rios

antigood007
10/30/2003, 08:16 PM
Just wanted to throw my .02 in here before its to late. IMO never buy equiptment from an lfs, most of the time you will pay twice as much if not more at the lfs. Buy equiptment online. If you can i would return the wet/dry and purchase a sump online, it will be better quality and alot cheaper. Check out ebay, you can find sumps, refugiums(which IMO is a must), pumps, overflows, etc real cheap. Also, if you plan on having a reef tank l8er on research what corals you will want to keep. If you want to keep sps corals than that light will definitly not work, or if you want to keep clams. Avoid impulse buys at all costs, most of the time they result in disaster. Take it slow and enjoy the best hobby in the world. Im not trying to come off as rude, please dont think I am. I have been there, and theres nothing worse than having to buy things twice or three times. Also, skimmer wise, get an aquaC remora, you will not be dissapointed, but get the upgrade on the pump. JMO HTH

jobryan26
10/30/2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by DgenR8
If anyone would have mentioned $8.00/Lb rocks to me before I started in this hobby, I'd have laughed at them, now it sounds normal to me. I guess normal is in the eye of the beholder, huh?
Tank is looking good, and you have done a nice job on your site too.
I'm not sure if anyone has alerted you to this thread, but I see you have a RIO pump, and I thought you should be aware:

Thanks Larry. I thought this would have gone alot quicker than I first thought but that is ok. I would rather take my time and do it right the first time even if it takes me alot longer. You are right about the rocks. That is why I didn't tell my wife how much the rocks cost or she would have died, thinking that I had paid $100 for 3 rocks.lol My website isn't the best but it is fun for me to tinker around with in my spare time when I have some.

Actually you did mention to me about the problems with the RIO's on the first page and I was quite shocked to see the response that it made. I will replace it with a Mag when this one bites the dust which prob won't be long. Live and learn.:)