PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question (what speed and brand of film to use)

Stars360
06/06/2001, 07:20 AM
hey guys i need a really quick answer. What is the best speed of film to use to take pictures of my tanks, at moving fish, corals, etc....and does any one prefer one brand over another i saw the kodak max and it says that it is great in all light conditions...but wanted everyons opinions.

Thanks so much. these pics are for my web site...so check it out in like a week i should have it pretty much done...:)

brian

theringnebula
06/06/2001, 07:47 AM
If you just have a point and shoot type camera then you should probably go with the fastest film you can buy like Fuji 800 or something. If you have an SLR and have more control of the settings on the camera then I would go with Fuji Reala 100. It's really a great film and the colors are bright and nicely saturated.

sushi
06/06/2001, 09:32 PM
If you are taking pictures of fish I would go with faster fialm (ASA 400 or more, even 1000) regardless of the camera. I have a Pentax SLR with a variety of lenses including some with pretty large apertures. Even then, for close-ups I find it hard to get short enough exposures with slower film to catch the fish without blur. For relatively stationary things like corals 100-200 ASA may be ok for an SLR. I don't really have a preference on brand although I usually use Kodak.
Allen

billsreef
06/06/2001, 09:42 PM
Depends a lot on what kind of camera and flash set up you have and what your ultimatel goal is for the photo's. For general 4x5's to carry around and show people than use any speed that is easy for you to work with, ie higher ASA #'s need less light. For something to blow up for a wall hanging or for publishing than 100 ASA will give you the fine grain size needed to keep things looking sharp.