PDA

View Full Version : What can i have in addition to 2 Perc Clowns in my 20 gal reef?

DominOE
10/10/2003, 05:31 PM
Hi guys, im planning on getting 2 breeding perc clowns and am wondering what i can have in addition to them.

whats all this about aggressive domino's? i've had a couple domino's and they seem to be the most peaceful fish i've seen.

oceanarus
10/10/2003, 06:40 PM
Well if you are wanting them for strictly breeding purposes....it would be best to not have any other fish in there. Otherwise, I like the red scooter blenny.

Won't comment on any DAMNsels other than the domino is my favorite of the bunch.

luvtolean
10/10/2003, 06:42 PM
Damsel's are aggressive. I had a large domino and clown get in a fight that wouldn't stop. Should'a removed the domino before it lost...

Green Chromis are pretty docile.

PSEUDOREEFER
10/10/2003, 06:53 PM
I had to tear my tank down a month after I had set it up because there was a damsel fish that had killed all but one other fish in the tank. As for keeping other fish with the perc pair, I wouldn't if your planning to breed them. What are the dimentions of the tank. If its a 20 gallon high, there might not be enough room for other fish. All fish need space for their territory. Blennies need a large copod population to live on, so I wouldn't recomend one for a 20 gallon.

skippy2
10/10/2003, 06:55 PM
I agree with the spelling of DAMNsels. Had''em. Will never have 'em again. In my 20 I had a goby (She died on Wens.) along with my 2 false clowns and 1 pepp. shrimp.

oceanarus
10/10/2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by PSEUDOREEFER
Blennies need a large copod population to live on, so I wouldn't recomend one for a 20 gallon.

Can't speak for other blennies, but I know the scooter blenny will accept dead food, they're not as difficult as madarins.

Sting
10/10/2003, 07:35 PM
Get a small Goby or Blenny- that would be awesome! Look at Neon Gobies, Watchman Gobies, Bicolor Blennies or a Sailfin/Algae Blenny.

ed99
10/10/2003, 11:43 PM
Even green chromis can get aggressive. I have one that is often scrapping with my clownfish so I wouldn't be certain that combination will result in a peaceful tank!

Trek Rider
10/11/2003, 04:30 AM
I have green chromis in my 55 with my clown pair. The chromis are pretty docile but the clowns are always chasing them. In a 20, they would be in even closer contact. This chasing may distract your clowns for spawning.

liv4speed1
10/11/2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by PSEUDOREEFER
Blennies need a large copod population to live on, so I wouldn't recomend one for a 20 gallon.

My Lawnmower does one hell of a job keeping away from anything other than Formula 1 ;). Which blenny are you talking about? Possibly dragonets?

DominOE
10/13/2003, 12:57 AM
O man. I just went to the fish store and bought the rest of my 6 lbs of live rock. (another $30 !!:confused: ) Hows this for a bioload
as soon as my new rock cycles:
2 breeding perc clowns $14 ea
2 or 1 red scooter blennie (these are awesome) $30 ea
2 or 1 fire goby $12 ea
Fire or cleaner shrimp.

I have yet to get a protein skimmer. Should i spend more money on that Seaclone 100 or just keep with the Lee's $20 counter current skimmer.

oceanarus
10/13/2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by DominOE
I have yet to get a protein skimmer. Should i spend more money on that Seaclone 100 or just keep with the Lee's $20 counter current skimmer.

I have a Seaclone, and if you look around on here you will find that people will agree with me when I say that it is a POS!

The only way I could get it to work right was by gutting out the internals and sticking one of those cheap Lee's skimmers inside the housing. So now I have a HOB intank skimmer:D

The only downside to the Lee's is having to stick it in the tank, unless you can find another way of using it like I did (or sticking it in a sump) but you won't find a skimmer that will outperform it for that little money. I have several on breeding tanks and they work great.

luvtolean
10/13/2003, 11:19 AM
You should be fine with that bioload. In my 7 gal I have a pygmy angel, maroon clown, lg cleaner shrimp and a clean-up crew. The key is to add them slow, and skim it heavily.

I have a Prizm skimmer that runs 24/7, and think that's the only reason I get away with my heavy stocking. You can find these all over the web for well under $100.

10/13/2003, 03:30 PM
I have a sea clone 100 on a 42 hex and it pulls out 1/2 cup dark brown each day. Guess it is hit or miss with having a good one. I have a precision marine hot1+ on a 55 and the sea clone is out performing that skimmer which cost 3x's as much. Kind of a gamble but if you spend the extra cash a skimmer is where it should be put. My 2 cents.