PDA

View Full Version : MAG pumps? replacing Rio 3100

perculaclownguy
10/10/2003, 01:24 PM
I am still using a Rio 3100 as a return pump for my 90 gallon. Works ok but I really would like to have the option of not having to submerge the pump if I dont want to. I have looked at MAG drives and they look like a great option for the price. the tank is in the basement and mounted in wall with a fishroom behind it so sound isnt an issue.

Are MAGs good or should I be looking at an Eheim or Dolphin?

Any ideas?

wakesetter
10/10/2003, 04:50 PM
Mags are great, especially for the price.

kawasaki00
10/10/2003, 05:27 PM
mag's are good for in sump in my opinion but not for out of sump because they do get really warm, if you are really wanting an external pump then I would go with maybe a dolphin 900 or so, really not that much price difference in say a mag 9 or a dolphin. IMO if you want to go external do not go with a mag drive, some vendors even recommend that the mag's should not be run external,,, even though the box says you can..

nofilter
10/10/2003, 06:58 PM
try the mak 4. 1190gph, not too expensive and not alot of energy useage. fan cooled- so it's knida noisy, but who cares if its in a fish room?

compares to a mag 12 roughly. the mag is maybe $20-30 less. but it adds 1-2 degrees to the water when submerged.