PDA

View Full Version : Top three marine fishes

Dave A
10/07/2003, 05:45 PM
Someone asked me what I thought were the top three aquarium marine fishes as far as being the most dramatic, beautiful, eye-catching, and just plain stunning to look at. So here are my top three head turners.

Of course there will be as many opinions on this as there are hairs on a dogs butt, but my choice for the top three most dramatic and prized marine aquarium fishes are, in order of preference;

1- Clown Trigger
2- Harlequin Tusk
3- Hippo Tang (Pacific Blue Tang)

My only rule I put on myself when deciding on which three to choose is they must be fish that are readily available and the average hobbyist must be able to keep them without being a chemist, biologist, or expert by means of a huge amount of years keeping marine fish.

Dave:D

Zoom
10/07/2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Dry Rot
Someone asked me what I thought were the top three aquarium marine fishes as far as being the most dramatic, beautiful, eye-catching, and just plain stunning to look at. So here are my top three head turners.

Of course there will be as many opinions on this as there are hairs on a dogs butt, but my choice for the top three most dramatic and prized marine aquarium fishes are, in order of preference;

1- Clown Trigger
2- Harlequin Tusk
3- Hippo Tang (Pacific Blue Tang)

My only rule I put on myself when deciding on which three to choose is they must be fish that are readily available and the average hobbyist must be able to keep them without being a chemist, biologist, or expert by means of a huge amount of years keeping marine fish.

Dave:D
I agreed for the first two but hippo tang :mad2:
I think one of the Large Angels most likely is my # three i vote for Blue face Angel.:D :D

absolut
10/07/2003, 06:01 PM
why no hippo??

Zoom
10/07/2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by absolut
why no hippo??
They have no personality.

Dave A
10/07/2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Zoom
They have no personality.

I'll agree with that statement but just. Not known for loads of personality but that stunning electric blue with the black and yellow along with the outstanding "swimming grace" gets me every time.

Also, I'm glad you agree with the Clown Trigger. What bizarre color patterns and body shape they have. Not to mention a truck load of personality and lots of energy all rolled up into a wolf in sheep's clothing..........wow! :D

The Tusk..............well what can be said that it's looks doesn't already say.

Dave

Zoom
10/07/2003, 07:02 PM
I have a tusk fish in my reef,my is from Indian Ocean.
here is some pictures of my stunning looking fish.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1005229

Zoom
10/07/2003, 07:06 PM
ops

Zoom
10/07/2003, 07:12 PM
Here is my 8 year old yelow and 5 year old PBT.

Zoom
10/07/2003, 07:13 PM
And the tusk.

Zoom
10/07/2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Zoom
This my Juv Emperor in my 200G reef.

Dave A
10/07/2003, 07:43 PM
Great looking fish Zoom. Your Tusk looks like it has a little more blue than mine, probably because I don't know where mine was collected, leading me to believe it was one of the less desirable locations. I think the Powder Blue Tang may be #4 on my list.

:)

Dave

JazzMan
10/07/2003, 07:49 PM
Great Tusk!! Any problems with him?

Zoom
10/07/2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by JazzMan
Great Tusk!! Any problems with him?
YES he don't let any one eat any food he is fast and always hungry.
as for pic on any thing only ate the cleaners shrimps but nothing else.

Zoom
10/07/2003, 07:57 PM
DP

Zoom
10/07/2003, 08:00 PM
Great looking fish Zoom. Your Tusk looks like it has a little more blue than mine, probably because I don't know where mine was collected, leading me to believe it was one of the less desirable locations. I think the Powder Blue Tang may be #4 on my list.

:)

Dave
i think my is male they have more color.
The Australians are the best but $ 130 for one the wife will have a fit.:lol:
Here is my Hippo.

Dave A
10/07/2003, 08:12 PM
Zoom..........I paid $110 for my Tusk:eek2: and my wife didn't seem to mind.........much. Love that Hippo.

Here is a picture of my adult Majestic Angel. Eats out of my hand and seems to know me when I walk in the room. Or at least his stomach know me:(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p56016ca2a65662c5724500bbb12d328a/fae23752.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/pc5385e8ec5cf329f1ec40975ada61ffe/fae23750.jpg

Dave

Cody M
10/07/2003, 08:15 PM
Awsome looking fish all!
Here are my top three:
1. Emperor angel
2. Clown trigger
3. Sohal tang

Mastino Mike
10/07/2003, 08:17 PM
Zoom,
Your fish are simply beautiful.

Zoom
10/07/2003, 09:01 PM
here is my Majestic i lost him to parasites it is a dark part of my fish keeping and still put a nut in my throat because i felled to save him here is his picture RIP.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1386195

Mastino Mike
10/07/2003, 09:26 PM
I would say
1. Powder Blue Tang
2. Emperor Angel
3. Clown Trigger

glen talbott
10/07/2003, 09:28 PM
hey guys, my thoughts on fish......the tusk is a beautiful fish....but they will smoke inverts as fast as you add them to your tank....i think the dejarrni red sea sailfin tang is up there, hippos get sick to much, but a nice looking fish, the queen trigger is a good looking fish as well....the angel fish are some of the most beautiful fish in the world....the powder blue tang is also difficult to keep do to there diet for alge.....i think the key to keeping alot of these fish is a slow aqumation to your tank and matching salt levels from the shipping water and your tank water, water temp. is also a factor. top three queen trigger, red sea sailfin tang, and the tusk in no order....take care....interesting to read your toughts.....glen talbott

dbulick
10/07/2003, 09:44 PM
1. Blue Line Trigger
2. Undulated Trigger
3. Queen Angel
I am quite baised to triggers I think they are the most interesting aquarium fish, and the queen angel looks amazing.

jwm2k3
10/07/2003, 10:20 PM
#1 Aust. Harliquin Tusk (been my fave for 10+ years)
#2 Queen Trigger (it just commands my attention, but sadly needs to live alone)
#3 Miniatus Grouper (like an attack missile!)

I like sharks too.....but I was kept at 3 for this poll

Triggeraddict
10/08/2003, 12:02 AM
1. Clown and Queen Triggers tie for first
2. Majestic Angels
3. Clown Tangs
4. Zebra Moray Eel
5. Achilles Tang

dendronepthya
10/08/2003, 12:18 AM
This is tough. I'd have to go with:
1. Harlequin Tusk
2. Imperator Angel
3. Achilles Tang

Miniatus Grouper would be on the list if it wasn't so neurotic. They are a beautiful fish but won't come out from behind a rock if you are in the room.

Dragon Moray would also make my list if it didn't creep out the ladies.

Dave A
10/08/2003, 07:52 AM
Zoom , nice Majestic and I know what you mean. The books say the Majestic Angel's are retiring in personality and shy. I find quite the opposite. Mine follows me like a puppy and eats from my hand. I'd be very sad if anything happened to him.

Trigger lovers................what about the Crosshatch Trigger. Not really considered widely available but very beautiful.

Are eels fish................well since this is a non scientific poll we'll let them in :p

I think the Tusk is winning so far:)

Dave

danfishman
10/08/2003, 08:21 AM
Hey Zoom, I love all your fish. Would you mind giving me a fish list and tank specs.

Oh I all most forgot,
1 Blue Face Angel
2 Sohol Tang
3 Clown Trigger

greenbean36191
10/08/2003, 08:43 AM
1. thornback cowfish
2. highfin banded goby
3. hippo tang

Racenrich
10/08/2003, 08:59 AM
okay here are mine:
1)Clown trigger-awesome color and personality
2)Porcupine puffer-just plain kool
3)Twin spotted wrasse-swift and fun to watch.
Cheers.

Zoom
10/08/2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by danfishman
Hey Zoom, I love all your fish. Would you mind giving me a fish list and tank specs.

Oh I all most forgot,
1 Blue Face Angel
2 Sohol Tang
3 Clown Trigger
a 200G oceanic RR mix reef .with a large sump
is been up for over 8 years 1/2 sand 350 lbs LR, Aquanatic 1/3 HP chiller, three 250W MH and two 96 W PC,Aerofoamer 830 Skimmer with a Iwaki 70RLT,twin large calcium reactors from myreef,one Iwaki 70RLT and 4 MJ 1200 for circulation.
Fish list.
one PBT 5 years old , a Yellow tang 8 years old,red sea naso 2 years old , emperor angel one years old ,new flame angel,2 years old fireball angel,maroon clown in a 20" Rose BTA 18 months old,yelow tail damsel 5 years old ,Fire hawkfish 2 years old,LM blenny 3 years old,Tusk fish three years old .
90g AGA RR with a large sump, a large Lifereef skimmer , a Aquanatic twin 30w UV , 125LB of LR ,and PC lights.
fish list.
one Clown trigger and two cleaners shrimps about three months old.
20H nano and quarantine tank
a new flame angel

Uel
10/08/2003, 10:26 AM
My favs:

1. Flame Angel

2. Red Corris Wrasse

3. Regal Angel

mhltcob
10/08/2003, 05:46 PM
1) Red sea regal angel
2) Black ribbon Eel
3) Achilles Tang

Why do all the cool fish have to be so hard to keep

ATB USA
10/08/2003, 05:53 PM
your powderblue is awesome

Sting
10/08/2003, 08:34 PM
In no particular order, and from no experience, just from what I've seen at the fish store:

Majestic Angel

Clown trigger

Hippo Tang

I definitely disagree with the Harlequin Tuskfish- to me they are so ugly, but that's just me. But honestly, I don't think it's fair to put all the little reef fish in the same category as the big ones, so here's my 3 top less than 6 inch reef safe fish:

Mandarin Dragonet- beautiful colors, methodically swims through the rocks, hunting for food, just beautiful!

Flame Hawkfish- So much personailty! The comical look they have on their faces make me crack up!

Potters Angel- Awesome color pattern- hard to keep though :(

So, what are your top 3 favorite smaller reef safe fish? I think the Flame Angel and Cinnamon Clown are close 4 and 5's on my list.

Microcosmos
10/08/2003, 09:13 PM
For little guys I think

1) the Bangaii cardinal is nice to look at though it doesn't move around much,

2) the bi-color blenny is attractive and has a bit of personality to it, and

3) the six-line wrasse is colorful and active, and has neat-looking eyes

dbulick
10/08/2003, 09:56 PM
The mandarin has got to be way up there.

dbulick
10/08/2003, 09:56 PM
The mandarin has got to be way up there.

paulustkchan
10/08/2003, 10:42 PM
I must agree the crown trigger is one of the most stuning fish one can have, it's hardy, it's colorful, nice composure, confident, and with so much character, but I have so many shrimps in my tank, I can't take the risk.

The tusk is just not my cup of tea, so ugly, so fat, so dorminating, it just create a much different environment for fish keeping.

To talk about the overall presentation including color, composure, style, character, style, I must admit there should be an angel, as they are just magnificant.

The bpt is awesome, but for me their sensitive skin is just too hard for to keep, so I will prefer a salfin tang from the Pacific, as a red sea version not easy to get.

Finally, a small fish I must say is a basslet, personally the swissguard bass is my favorite, for it is available, hardy and just a smart boom.

My list will settle to be

A Queen Angel
A Pacific Salfin Tang
& A Swissguard Basslet

mhltcob
10/08/2003, 11:45 PM
for small fish mine would be white ray goby, followed by curious worm fish, then maybe sulawesi candy basslett

Marcus K
10/08/2003, 11:58 PM
So many to choose from, I would have to have some in a tank to make better judgement on personality. The Yellow Tang got me in this hobby, I love the way Triggers swim and would like to hear the noises they make. I have dreams of a 200Gal tank with a Emperor Angel as the show piece. Would love to have a Japanees Pygmy Angel, must be up thier for most colourful with the price tag to go with it.

My pics to date are;
Emperor Angel
Niger Trigger
Yellow Tang

These fish I have been able to sit and enjoy in person.

Zoom, Very nice tank. I hope mine will look as nice.

Marcus

Zoom
10/09/2003, 06:18 AM
Here is my#1

Dave A
10/09/2003, 06:59 AM
One thing I think is really cool about the Clown Trigger is it's deep black eyes. Kinda looks like he's wearing those dark aviation goggles from the time of biplanes :D All he needs is a white scarf :cool:

Dave

Zoom
10/09/2003, 07:06 AM
One thing I think is really cool about the Clown Trigger is it's deep black eyes. Kinda looks like he's wearing those dark aviation goggles from the time of biplanes :D All he needs is a white scarf :cool:

Dave
Here one more with a friend :lol:

Mastino Mike
10/09/2003, 02:31 PM
Zoom,
Im highly jealous of all of your fish. lol

allenreef
10/09/2003, 02:35 PM
1. Red Sea Hippo
2. Tusk
3. scotts faily wrasse

algaefree
10/09/2003, 02:47 PM
I don't know what my "top" three would be, but my picasso would definately be in there!

dbulick
10/09/2003, 03:03 PM
Nice fish, I love mine, however I would not say that he is one of the 3 most striking fish. How old/big is yours?

algaefree
10/09/2003, 03:08 PM
I truly wish I knew how old my trigger was. The entire reef belonged to a friend of mine a year ago, and he had him then. My initial guess would be 3 to 4 years old. He is currently 4" long and fat and happy.

Mastino Mike
10/09/2003, 04:29 PM
I see alot of people have Tusks in their top three. I dont find them all that beautiful?

Dave A
10/09/2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by algaefree
I don't know what my "top" three would be, but my picasso would definately be in there!

I would have to say that if nothing else the Picasso Trigger has to be the all time winner for the fish with the most suited name:D :D
If I wasn't a mature adult (my wife may disagree) I'd be inclined to think that Picasso had gotten his painting style after being attacked by this beautiful fish while trying to paint his naked girlfriend by the sea shore...............who knows :p

Dave

Wolverine
10/09/2003, 05:35 PM
I think a healthy super-male crosshatch trigger is a fantastic looking fish. I also really like the clown triggers. It's hard to narrow down to just three (at least for me it is), so I'll throw out a couple I haven't seen mentioned.
A large black (and I mean jet black) volitans lion is fantastic looking, and is really an eye catcher.
I also like the radiata lions.
I've seen some amazing colorations on some frogfishes and scorpionfishes.

Dave

Cody M
10/09/2003, 05:51 PM
We have a sweet 12" queen trigger in one of the dispalys at the shop and she is awsome but I would have to stick with my original list. Awsome fish everyone!

ozadars
10/10/2003, 12:09 PM
If we are talking about common fish;
- marine betta
- french / grey / queen /anullaris angels
- powder blue, achilles, hippo or orange shoulder tang

Rare ones;
- pepermint hog / harlequin tusk
- gem tang
- crosshatch trigger

there are 100s of fish to add this list also

Dave A
10/14/2003, 10:56 AM
Alot of great fish mentioned here. Many predictable picks and a few I never thought of. Some mentioned are not really readily available to the hobby in general and some are probably a little more fish than many could handle. The Tusk was mentioned more often than any other fish and I believe the Angels were favored as a group followed by the tangs. IMO if this thread went on and on Angel's would be the favorite species with the Clown Trigger being the king of the head turners.

Bottom line.................almost any fish will be #1 to someone somewhere, and although in the end a single fish may be voted as the all time most beautiful and dramatic head turner not many people would be inclined to keep that single fish alone. That's why although some do keep a single specimen alone in a tank for various reasons, we tend to keep a community of the few fish we really love, or multiple tanks or both :D

Dave

maxpower2112
10/14/2003, 09:19 PM
My top 3 are:

1)Dragon Eel
2)Clown Tang
3)Regal Angelfish

What are your thoughts on these???

dbulick
10/14/2003, 10:59 PM
The dragon eel is pretty sweet looking, for some reason it does not really look like a real animal to me, looks more mythical ya know?

Jimmy719
10/15/2003, 01:53 PM
If you are talking about the blue or black eels with the yellow dorsal and anal fins (I've always heard them called ribbon eels) I'm with you all the way. They are totally up there on my list, along with flame angels and mandarins.

maxpower2112
10/15/2003, 02:10 PM
ribbon eels are something else but i do know your talking about and agree...

maxpower2112
10/15/2003, 02:30 PM
http://www.kasson.com/Misc/dragon_eel.htm

Here is a pic of a Dragon Eel

Morpheus'Reef
10/15/2003, 02:36 PM
I must admit how surprised that no one has mentioned any of the Fairy Wrasses. The most striking fish I have ever seen in an LFS was the Laboutei Fairy Wrasse (check out the following link for a picture that just does not do it justice http://www.themarinecenter.com./wrasselaboutei.htm ) followed by the Hawaiian Flame Wrasse.

Having said that my top striking fish are as follows

1/ Laboutei Fairy Wrasse
2/ Blue Line Trigger
3/ Emperor Angel
4/ Mandarin
5/ Chevron Tang

Morph

Dave A
10/15/2003, 04:19 PM
I agree the Chevron Tang is a great looking fish when young, but they tend to become quite drab when they mature. Too bad they're not one of those fish that get better with age. I also agree it's odd that not more of the wrasses were mentioned.

Dave

danfishman
10/15/2003, 08:55 PM
i think one of the best looking fish is the Conspicillatus angel,
Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus although they are very expensive. My top three are
1) Large Angels, Blue Face and Majestic
2) Fairy Wrasse
3) Powder Blue Tang

lilswanwillow
10/16/2003, 07:27 PM
heres mine:

easy to find:
flasher wrasses
PBT
flame angel

hard to find:
(sorry, this list is more than 3, but they're all tied here)
dragon eels
leaf fish
bellus angel
Colini Pygmy Angel
and

Seadragons
Phyllopteryx and Phycodurus

(which will never and should never be kept in aquariums, but still should be on a list of favorite fish..!!!!)

dbulick
10/17/2003, 01:58 PM
Copperband Butterfly's are good looking fish, and Tassle filefish are alittle odd making them intersting
Adult Green Moray eels are possibly the most impressive looking due to their sheer size and power.

greenbean36191
10/18/2003, 05:56 PM
I see alot of people have Tusks in their top three. I dont find them all that beautiful

I agree. Alot of people also love wrasses, and I don't find them attractive either.

tyler
10/27/2003, 04:46 PM
10 days later....

1. porc puffer - simply the best. my tank is ready for one
2. valentini puffer - i'd never get one because they're notorious bastard fishes, but i still think they look amazing
3. dwarf fuzzy lions. i think they're beautiful fish

and of course, flame angel, emp angel, any other kind of puffer, most lion fish (or scorpion fish for htat matter), psychadelic mandarins, long nose butterflies, long nose hawks, any kind of horse...i like 'em all

mufflerguy
11/24/2003, 08:58 PM
Zoom,
What do you have for corals & inverts in that tank with those triggers?
I have read that they cant be kept in a reef tank.
If I could the clown & picasso would be my first choices!
Thanks ,Matt

Triggeraddict
11/25/2003, 12:25 AM
Over the past couple of weeks I have rethought my favs and they are:
Easy to keep (peaceful):
Curious Wormfish
Randall's Goby
Blue and Yellow Assessors

Belligerent Beauties:
1. Clown and Queen Triggers tie
2. Clown and Achilles Tangs tie
3. Imp and Navarchus Angels (not really belligerent but I couldn't put them anywhere else)

Notoriously Difficult Fish:
1. Ribbon Eel (any color morph)
2. Ghost Ribbon Eel and Zebra Moray
3. Seahorse
That is my new updated list with some catergories.
mufflerguy- Triggers are extremely unpredictable in nature and what may work one day will not work the next with them. They are not considered reef fish so why waste loosing a lot of money in corals with the addition of a trigg? My triggs will tear apart any kind of coral. Today they got spoiled and got a Clam from the grocery store and they had a lot of fun with that, let me tell ya.

absolut
11/25/2003, 01:20 AM
Triggeraddict,

What's up
I see you are at CSU...my sister attends there, do you know the starting catcher for the CSU softball team??

Oh yeah,
1.Sailfin tang
2.Hippo tang
3.LM blenny

albinooscar
11/25/2003, 05:45 PM
This has to be the # 1!!!!!!!!!

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/29402/p/591189_3108866723263443286_vl.jpg

What the H3LL is it?

Ron

bigevill
11/25/2003, 05:51 PM
I love my fire fish.......

Triggeraddict
11/25/2003, 06:19 PM
That is an Orange Spot Filefish (Oxymonacanthus longirostris). They do not do well in captivity due to the fact they feed primarily on Acropora polyps (expensive meal). Anyway, hope this helps.

marrone
11/26/2003, 12:21 PM
My top Fish are:

1. Powder Blue Tang
2. Sailfin Tang
3. Louti Grouper
4. Blue Line Trigger
5. Passer Angel
6. Dusmmeri Tang
7. Dragon eel

Well that more than 3. :rollface:

Michael

gig
01/26/2004, 02:27 PM
1) Emperor Angel (Adult)
2) Majestic Angel (Adult)
3) Powder Blue Tang
4) Adult Passer are really cool, but you can't find/buy them

http://www.masla.com/fish/images/1050.jpg

Peter Schmiedel
01/27/2004, 02:41 AM
Gig,

currently I can buy at least 10 passer here :P

But I admitt it is the first time I see them. Price is about 150 $. Nice size good condition ... just a bit to far away from you ... but the store might export to the US?

gig
01/27/2004, 08:37 AM
hey Peter,

That's interesting, from what I've read the "adult passers" (like the one in the picture), tend to go more open water areas once adult. Alot of them swim in protected fishing areas somewhere in the pacific, I just can't remember where I've read that. Thus you don't see many in the LFS (in the US).

I don't think I've ever seen on in a LFS, I've seen plenty of the juveniles, even had one, territorial little guys, but a very smart inquisitive fish.

blface
01/27/2004, 11:56 AM
1. Bluespot Jawfish
2. Blueface Angel
3. Conspicultus Angel