PDA

View Full Version : Coraline algea and my LFS...

Scorch268
10/07/2003, 01:22 PM
Per the advice of my LFS, they said that an effect method for creating coraline algea growth is to take a small rock covered in coraline and to file it off in the water. They said that the spores or something will cause growth fast, can anyone confirm or deny this??

despot101
10/07/2003, 01:25 PM
Yeah that would work. You could also just have a powerhead pointing towards a rock with lots of coraline and that will help it to spread.

Dazed1
10/07/2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Scorch268
Per the advice of my LFS, they said that an effect method for creating coraline algea growth is to take a small rock covered in coraline and to file it off in the water. They said that the spores or something will cause growth fast, can anyone confirm or deny this??

They're right. :) This helps in spreading the spores. Just take a piece of LR with coraline, a tooth brush, and brush it near a PH every few days. :)
you could also get coralline "pieces" from other tanks and introduce it in a high flow area. :)

kozmo02
10/07/2003, 01:27 PM
wow that is crazy i have never heard of that before, i might have to try it.

reefing in FtC
10/07/2003, 01:27 PM
This will cause the coraline algae to spread, but not necessarily grow faster. I used to scrape the coraline off powerheads (or whatever) when replacing and/or cleaning them.

Scorch268
10/07/2003, 01:29 PM
so once scraped, how quickly does the coraline grow or spread?

Dazed1
10/07/2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Scorch268
so once scraped, how quickly does the coraline grow or spread?

It would also depend on your alk and CA levels. Also on your lights. I've found coraline to grow slowly or not grow at all in the begining in areas with high light. It needs good flow as well :)

this is me
10/07/2003, 01:45 PM
Coraline are funny. They always grown on tha places where you dont want them to grow. My turbos' shells are almost completely covered by purple coroline!!the sides of my tank is showing some purple coraline. And NO sign of coraline in the back where i wanted them to grow.

Scorch268
10/07/2003, 01:47 PM
haha, nature is funny like that :) thanks for your input guys!